Sep 19, 2019, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Antenna selection for video (CP, linear etc)

So my toothpicks come with linear antennas. I imagine it is for weight and durability. But, I normally run CP on my goggles for my mini/racing quads, planes etc. Are you guys just dealing with the loss using a linear on the micros or do you switch to linear antennas when flying micros?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 03:39 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
I use bandicoot and simple whip for my micros.
Sep 20, 2019, 07:34 PM
I seem to get a lot better performance with a skew planar and a bi-quad over two linear 90 degrees to each other. In a straight up range test the linear could probably perform better than the skew planar but, the bi-quad is king for linear long range. For me though on micros I like to fly through trees and buildings and the skew planer seems to give much better performance in a high multipath environment not really sure why but, in my testing that's the case.

There are omnidirectional antenna that look like a skew planar with the closed loop but, linear polarization using bi-quad style elements. I haven't got around to building one yet though.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:03 PM
I have a AXII on my goggles and my 3" quad, and a linear antenna on my Mobula7. At home I fly around things like the back of a big metal shed and the reception is so much better with a CP antenna that I plan to fit a TrueRC Singularity CP antenna to my Mobula7 as well.

I don't expect the CP antenna to help with penetration through trees etc, but it should improve multi-pathing interference from the shed in the video feed.
Sep 21, 2019, 03:30 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
I use CP antennas on my goggles and use the micro AXII on a couple of my 2 1/2 & 3 inch quads. I haven't specifically tested or measured the video performance, but my gut feel is that it is better than the linear antennas. Certainly no worse than the best of the linear antenna equipped quads.

J.P.

Quick Reply