Sep 19, 2019, 05:54 PM
Thread OP
OK! OK! OK! i WENT BACK AND FIXED IT. GEE WIZ!!! Make one little mistake, and wham-O. My wife was not around to proof read before I posted.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 07:44 PM
I'm glad you have a good sense of humor, Rich.

A few years before we moved out here, a couple moved in across the street from us. He was from the area, but she was from Union as I recall. We went over to welcome them to the neighborhood. After we came back home my wife (from the Midwest) asked me if she had a speech impediment. She didn't, just the accent.

"But how can they let her teach little kids?"

"Well, the new kids in the area have parents who talk the same way." I suspect that's part of how she got the job.

It's amazing what 50 miles can do to how people talk. The influx of people from the city over about 10 years flipped Warren County from solid red to blue.The only condolence is that now they're stuck under the same Skylands laws that they saddled us with.

Andy
Sep 19, 2019, 11:21 PM
Resistance is futile
Yup. Got to agree that new gen can't or won't build/create with hands. They need a motivation.

I have found that there are ways to get their interest though.

I am a youth leader for teens at my church. I am in charge of creating interesting learning games that teens can enjoy while learning about their faith and social interactions.

During a recent meeting, I developed an indoor obstacle course for 1/16 scale r/c truggys. The teens were split into 2 teams and had to answer questions about their faith to get a chance to drive a truggy on a portion of the course. (each team had a truggy)
when a team got an answer correct, a team member would be given 10 seconds of drive time to move the team truggy on the course.
team members took turns for consecutive answers.

When a question was missed, the other team got a chance to drive.

The first team to get their truggy to the end of the course is the winner.

The teens loved it so much they would not stop playing the game until the batteries were depleted. (A lot of good questions answered!)

50% of the teens approached me after the meeting about getting into the r/c hobby.

I am happy to say that 4 people became new hobbiests and they are now building and running a multitude of vehicles. (cars boats and planes.)

Thats not bad out of 10 members starting the game. Yes, there was a mix of male and female.

I say we should use our skills and age to work with the new gens in a way they can get them excited about non-screen related ventures.
Latest blog entry: Spring time changes
Sep 20, 2019, 07:17 AM
Thread OP
Circuitxr-Yery interesting story about changing from something, perhaps boring, in to a game with learning as an outcome, but it does little to the point of introducing the subject, be they young or old, male or female, to the idea of creating something from bare materials, be they wood, steel, flour, sugar, into a final work of personal satisfaction of the finished product.

In your case you used a very novel approach to making learning into a fun game, which you should receive parse for, but did they take any real new lasting shills other than buying a buggy and having fun on their own without the need to learn any correct answers? Could not the same result be derived by a day out at the amusement park with the correct answers?

I think the point that I was trying to get across was that the youth of today seem to have lost the intuition or challenge to create something from nothing with the bare materials provided to them. It seems as though their idea of them to learn a new skill in order to create something from nothing is a waste of their time.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:35 AM
I have been trying to inspire some of the young people around me, and older persons, to get into building anything for a hobby to relax, but I just cant get them interested in airplanes. I am hoping, when I get my Miss Severn kit someday...Frank...lol, that I can stir up some interest in building boats. I think airplanes are a bit intimidating as you can crash and destroy all that hard work easily, while boats may be a slower pace and less likely to get destroyed on the first use.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
DAVID- As I write this response to you the run for the MISS SEVERN kits are being laser cut and I am finishing up on the last of the deck hardware for the kit. We will be packing the kits in the next week or so and I will call you up before I ship your order out to you.

Thanks for hanging in there. It sometimes is the case that time slips away from you when you are the CHIEF CO0OK AND BOTTLE WASHER for the company and my ass is sore from being the one to KICK IN THE ASS.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:11 PM

Not all kids are uninterested.

A few (ok more than a few) years ago a life long friend of mine had two daughters and a son. I would help her with repairs on her home. Her youngest daughter was in the girl scouts and they were doing a gutter boat compition. My friend asked if I could help her daughter with her boat.
I said sure. We did some mods to the kit keel and rudder. sanded the hull smooth and streamlined.
She painted the boat with nail polish some ugly color pink. She was so proud of that paint job.
When it came time to compete she won every race. Moral of this is she is in her third year of becoming an electrical engineer and loving it.
I cant help but to think our little boat project had something to do with her choice of direction.
It only takes a little direction and we can shape the lives of our young.
Bob
Sep 20, 2019, 11:30 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Some young & little ladies and gentlemen will grow up to become astronauts, and some other little boys/girls will grow up to design and build the spaceships they will fly in.

But there are far fewer of them today with such interests is the point we are making. Less of our youth reaching for those goals means less chances for finding the ones who are really good at it. We NEED our Kelly Johnsons, Grace Hoppers, Elon Musks, Hedy Lamarrs, Burt Rutans, Andrew Higgins' and Gar Woods to keep us progressing ahead.
Sep 21, 2019, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
DAVID- As I write this response to you the run for the MISS SEVERN kits are being laser cut and I am finishing up on the last of the deck hardware for the kit. We will be packing the kits in the next week or so and I will call you up before I ship your order out to you.

Thanks for hanging in there. It sometimes is the case that time slips away from you when you are the CHIEF CO0OK AND BOTTLE WASHER for the company and my ass is sore from being the one to KICK IN THE ASS.
Thats great Frank! From all my reading and going through other peoples build thread projects with your boat kits, I am very impressed with the quality and beauty of the finished products. It is well worth the wait to get my hands on such a quality kit. Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply