Sep 19, 2019, 10:59 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Thread OP
Discussion

Mike Patey's Draco crashes

Don't know if anyone else has already posted this, my apologies if that's the case. Mike Patey suffered a ground loop on takeoff in gusty conditions. Looks as if the Draco was pretty much totaled.

The link includes video of the actual crash.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09...&ICID=ref_fark
Last edited by whowhatwhere; Sep 19, 2019 at 11:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 01:20 PM
AeroDan
Good God Almighty; 30+ knot crosswind departure in a 2,500 lb tail-dragger!!! When that left wing lifted on it’s own, without the right, my heart would’ve stopped. From the pics, it looks like Draco featured a “wood” 4-bladed prop. Don’t know what that has to do with anything, although I’ve never seen a jet-turbine turning a “wood” prop.
Sep 20, 2019, 09:06 AM
Back in the 60's my dad and I came back from a cattle sale and was faced with 48 MPH crosswind at our local airport in a J-3. Cub.
No tower at this little airport so we lined up into the wind across the runway and in line of the access taxiway.
We taxied tail high for the closes hanger (not ours) we went pass a up-side-down Tripacer at the fuel pumps and they all stood and looked at us like, "how in the heck did they get on the ground?".
Dad and I shut down and just sit inside with our feet shaking on the rudder pedals.
Sep 23, 2019, 01:33 AM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim409
Back in the 60's my dad and I came back from a cattle sale and was faced with 48 MPH crosswind at our local airport in a J-3. Cub.
No tower at this little airport so we lined up into the wind across the runway and in line of the access taxiway.
We taxied tail high for the closes hanger (not ours) we went pass a up-side-down Tripacer at the fuel pumps and they all stood and looked at us like, "how in the heck did they get on the ground?".
Dad and I shut down and just sit inside with our feet shaking on the rudder pedals.
I CAN imagine. Oh, WOW!!!
Sep 24, 2019, 12:11 PM
AMA 910957
I saw a Your Tube video made by pilot Mike Patey giving a debrief on the incident. He made it very clear that pilot error was the reason for the loss of the aircraft. He really drove that point home. I have nothing but respect for him, and am very glad that he's physically okay.

EJ

Quick Reply