Rocket Assist SAB Jet Launch Video

OK, file this one under the coolest thing you will see all week. It's a demo flight of a SAB Avio Lizard RC Turbine Jet airplane being launched via rocket assist at the Jet Power 2019 event in Germany.

Splash

Just an Awesome Video

OK, file this one under the coolest thing you will see all week. It's a demo flight of a SAB Avio Lizard RC Turbine Jet airplane being launched via rocket assist at the Jet Power 2019 event in Germany. I've never seen anything like this before.

They hook the jet up to an RC tank style platform that can drive out to the runway and tilt the plane up into a vertical launch position. The plane has two rockets on board and those combined with full power on the turbine and you get a perfect vertical take off. It makes for an impressive demo and I'm sure pilots and spectators were thrilled to get to see this live. It was so cool, we just had to share. Check out the video below by Digital RC.

Sep 19, 2019, 09:44 AM
Cute little rockets on the wings... what is the thrust output of the rocket boosters? I am sure nowhere near enough to lift the plane.
Sep 19, 2019, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxturbines
Cute little rockets on the wings... what is the thrust output of the rocket boosters? I am sure nowhere near enough to lift the plane.
Agreed. With all the sparks it has to be mostly for the wow factor.
Sep 19, 2019, 01:18 PM
Yup the 'rockets' are just cosmetic. The jet has > 1:1 thrust to weight, and there's also a mini bungee built into the launch rail to get it moving. Still pretty cool though.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Sep 19, 2019, 03:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Really excited for the Lizard.

The Havoc and the Drake are both hugely impressive, but also to large for me to comfortably transport. The Tortuga is on the opposite end and is a little small for my liking. The Lizard fills the gap perfectly and I look forward to these becoming available in the US!
Sep 23, 2019, 06:21 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Been a fan of the Havoc and Drake since they were advertised , nice looking jets and they fly beautifully.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
Been a fan of the Havoc and Drake since they were advertised , nice looking jets and they fly beautifully.
Havok is very impressive and flies excellent despite it's unusual design.
Oct 01, 2019, 09:21 AM
1) The launch concept is way cool. Air & Space just ran an article on the Nadder, a vertically launched rocket fighter the Germans were developing towards the end of WWII. I thought an RC version with rockets and a vertical launch would be fun, this may motivate me in that direction.

2) Those rockets had a long run time! The Estes motors I used as a kid lasted a second or less, as I remember. I'm guessing they were more for "show" than "go".

3) The performance of that jet and the skill of the pilot is incredible!
Oct 01, 2019, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
2) Those rockets had a long run time! The Estes motors I used as a kid lasted a second or less, as I remember.
Yup they're just flares/fireworks ... not actual rockets.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Oct 23, 2019, 10:39 PM
Thrust to weight is at or near 2/1.

Quick Reply