Sep 22, 2019, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, everyone for your answers here, I truly appreciate it. Bo, I am not a mode 1 flyer, I did try to switch from mode 2 to 1 in the late '70s. My goal was to see if separating pitch from roll would make things better but I found it too hard to switch. I know my pattern days are done, the eyesight and hand to eye coordination is not what it used to be. The more I think about it I think I am going to revive my old gear, convert to 2.4 and have at it.

Thanks again, everyone...

P.S as for Prettner, I think in his heyday he could have flown a Sig Kadet and won. I have been to the TOC several times and was at the 1983 worlds in FLA.
Last edited by cllaurit64; Sep 22, 2019 at 10:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2019, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllaurit64
I really don't care about what features the radios have as they all seem to be the same these days.

While this is true in some respects, I still hear a remarkable amount of strong preference for particular features, ergonomics or capabilities between different brands and models. Some of it is based on flying style and some on personal preference. Obviously, they are all much more capable than radios were 20 years ago but apparently the differences still matter. So, I'd suggest that you sample a good variety of modern radios to learn what you need and want.
Sep 22, 2019, 05:16 PM
Cars of a given trim line (high, low) generally all have the same features too, and yet are very different from each other. The difference isn't whether or not it has a feature, but how those features are implemented. Checking out the individual radios and figuring out which is right for you is important. That is, if you're going to get a new one at all.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:14 PM
If———
You think accuracy, which is how accurately your fingers movements translate i to usable information , output to the rx, improves as the price of the tx increases,————-
You may be in for a surprise
A DX 6 E will fly involved aerobatics very accurately.
I get to fly both inexpensive as well as expensive tx,and issues such as sloppy centering, simply dont exist on current popular tx
Strong springing requires sturdier gimbal setups for certain BUT the default springing I find on current tx, is not going to bend or give in normal use
If you prefer extremely stiff springs, chosing to change springs, thats your choice but you can end up with vague operation
I once measured the forces on sticks ,at varied lengths and spring settings
What would you guess the typical, default stick length force is ?
Hmmmmm?
113400 milligrams
Last edited by richard hanson; Sep 22, 2019 at 10:49 PM.
Sep 22, 2019, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliant
The point about stick length remains. The OP likes longer sticks, which make him not wrong but unusual. Once one becomes accustomed to a length using different lengths feels strange.
Long sticks are very common in some areas, less in others.

Flying in Mode 1 is unusual in North America. Flying with short sticks is unusual for scale and precision.

Flying in Mode 2 is unusual in other regions. Flying with short sticks is normal in 3D.

Andy
Sep 25, 2019, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Long sticks are very common in some areas, less in others.

Flying in Mode 1 is unusual in North America. Flying with short sticks is unusual for scale and precision.

Flying in Mode 2 is unusual in other regions. Flying with short sticks is normal in 3D.

Andy
This is an example of the type of sticks I like, x-388 from the 90's I used in pattern
Sep 26, 2019, 02:46 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
cllaurit64,
JR Propo transmitters are still around but after the original JR manufacturer went bancrupt in Dec 2017 it was restarted production but now under the name Dee Force Aviation:

https://www.deeforce.net/shop-1

I believe they have 4 base transmitters to offer: T44 (11 ch), T11(11 ch), T8 (8ch) and T6 (6 ch).

Maybe these JR/DFA transmitters has sticks that You like, some maybe similar in feel to Your old JR X388S?

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Sep 26, 2019 at 02:55 AM.
Oct 13, 2019, 03:04 PM
CL,
Great to see that you're coming back to the hobby! I'm still flying the old Kraft and ACE radios with 2.4 modules. You can use that Pro Line, the mod is fairly simple. A number of folks have also installed the Simple Encoder, which emulates the early radios without all the bells and whistles. I have looked at the Jeti's and agree the gimbals do have the old school precision feel to them. One club member uses it and he was a JR user. Anyhow, welcome back and hope to run into you in the near future?
Mark
Old time RC3 club member!
Oct 15, 2019, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Mark, I hope our paths do cross again. I spent many a good time out at Kickapoo woods.
Oct 16, 2019, 03:39 AM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
cllaurit64,
Off topic:

I do not know how old You are but did You meet or see the famous RC aerobatic pilot Ed Kazmirsky (first RC aerobatic World Champion in 1960 in Bern, Switzerland) with a Orion plane. He also placed 3rd in World Championships in 1963, Genk, Belgium, with a Taurus plane. In WC 1965 he was US team manager for the RC aerobatics team, when the WC was held here in Sweden 1965.
Then he desiged a nice large plane (for it's time) "Simla" that he flew with at Kickapoo Woods.
It is some greyscale photos of Ed with his Simla plane at Kickapoo Woods here, maybe You recognice the spots the photos where taken back in the days?:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...-aviation.html

I have a Simla plane (short kit, not avaliable anymore) that I have not built yet.

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Oct 16, 2019 at 03:44 AM.
Oct 16, 2019, 08:05 AM
We tracked it down to the exact spot the photo was taken within a small radius.

Some things never change.

Andy
Oct 16, 2019, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee
cllaurit64,
Off topic:

I do not know how old You are but did You meet or see the famous RC aerobatic pilot Ed Kazmirsky (first RC aerobatic World Champion in 1960 in Bern, Switzerland) with a Orion plane. He also placed 3rd in World Championships in 1963, Genk, Belgium, with a Taurus plane. In WC 1965 he was US team manager for the RC aerobatics team, when the WC was held here in Sweden 1965.
Then he desiged a nice large plane (for it's time) "Simla" that he flew with at Kickapoo Woods.
It is some greyscale photos of Ed with his Simla plane at Kickapoo Woods here, maybe You recognice the spots the photos where taken back in the days?:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clas...-aviation.html

I have a Simla plane (short kit, not avaliable anymore) that I have not built yet.

/Bo
I did see ED fly a few times. My father and my uncle (Jerry Worth) were in the hobby in the 60's in control-line and I used to go to the field with them, I was very young. When my uncle got into RC my dad got out of it but we still went to Kickapoo woods to watch him fly and Ed would be there. When I got into pattern in 1975 Ed was done by then. I flew at the RC3 pattern contest many times.

BTW those pictures of Ed on the runway you notice a three-story building in the background, that building has been hit more than once by a plane.
Last edited by cllaurit64; Oct 16, 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Oct 16, 2019, 12:17 PM
Bo Edstrom, Sweden
cllaurit64,
Thanks for taking time to answer. Nice You met Ed even if You where Young then. Ed was one of the greatest RC aerobatics stars during 1960th, in US and perhaps also in the whole World, as I have understood it. I was born in 1961 so I was too Young to know what he was, but I learned later in my RC life who he was, but I never meet him. Amazing that a green place like Kickapoo Woods still exist today. In my country many nice green spots tend to be exploited for luxurious appartments sooner or later.
I suppose Kickapoo Woods is something like a nature reserve so it is protected.
I hope it can remain what it is today with model flying fields etc.

Happy flying!

/Bo
Oct 16, 2019, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Bo, Kickapoo is owned by the county and is somewhat protected. We are lucky here Cook County that there are forest preserve sites that are set aside for model flying. Unfortunately, Kickapoo is located in a not so great area, the field itself is safe but the area around it is not so great anymore.
Oct 21, 2019, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=AndyKunz;42959457]We tracked it down to the exact spot the photo was taken within a small radius.

Some things never change.

Andy[/QUOTE

IIRC, when those pics first showed up on RCU by Duane Wilson I immediately recognized the location. As Chris said, there were more than a few planes that found its way into a the side of a building there (on Halsted Street). I contacted Duane and provided some info on the site. Duane travelled to Kickapoo in Harvey, ILL where I met up with him. I’m pretty confident, based on the pics and familiarity with the site, that we positioned Duane’s Simla within a few feet of where the pics were taken. I believe that story was published in the March 2011 issue of MA. I also recall Ed flying at the field in the late sixties. A very good and long time friend who also flew there recalls those days too. I would just go out and watch since that field was only about a half mile from where I grew up. We were actually at Ed’s home in Calumet City a few times. Was a great era for modeling back in those days.
Mark

Also, Cook County is one of the few in northern Illinois (that I’ve found) that does a fantastic job of maintaining the aero modeling sites in its county.

Quick Reply