Sep 18, 2019, 05:59 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hangar 9 - Fokker D.VII 30-60cc ARF, 87"

Tech Talk: Hangar 9 Fokker D.VII 30-60cc ARF 87" (19 min 52 sec)

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...cc-arf-han2890

Just got mine a couple of weeks ago, Very Excited. I built a Proctor Enterprises 1/4 scale version in the late 90's. Electric powered.

I flew it for a few seasons, did a couple of KRC and Toledo shows with it as well. But @ 24lbs and 1200W input power, with a brushed Astroflight motor and Nicads it always seemed a bit too marginal.
I donated it to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo Museum in 2000.
This Hanger 9 model inspired me enough to try to get the original back from the museum.

The museum curator back in the day was really cool and was even willing to swap out some of my other 1/4 scale models if I wanted to fly the D-7 again.
Twenty years on ... Well, the new museum curator seems to be about my daughter's age and times have changed. The museum has received some large influx of funds and it's not quite as "good old boys" as it was twenty years ago.

After a fair bit of effort, I was told sorry-- No.
In 2002, I built a smaller D-7 from scratch, utilizing the Proctor plans, Gordon Whitehead plans, and some very lightweight build ideas from some heli-guy named Gary Wright. I had just met Gary @ the 2001 Neat fair.

Anyways, today, laying out the Hanger 9 D-7 structures over my Proctor plans really made me quite happy. Proctor has long been considered the "Museum Scale" kit company in the USA. The wings, fuselage, stab, all seem right on with dimensions.
Going to go with the Rimfire 65cc motor and looking forward to incorporating some Proctor-like details

Thanks Hanger 9 for this one,

DG
Last edited by Dave Grife; Sep 20, 2019 at 06:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Hanger 9 Fokker D 7 - Parts of 3rd flight (2 min 46 sec)

Rimfire 65cc
Castle Talon 120HV
Hobbystar 8000mah pack

ESC timing set to high first two flights, bit of a grunting sound during some throttle advance.
Tried normal timing today and only heard sound once or twice.

Front half of plane has been scotch-brite pad treatment and dull coated, I will get the back half after some graphic/ trim work.
Also ran aileron lead straight up to wing, ok for electric, and cleaner appearance
Painted the louver openings too
Ordering some http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/index.htm
hardware to get rid of all the shiny hardware. Also going to look at honeycomb radiator grill, engine, cockpit etc.
My prop is the simitar Xoar 24-10.

Very pleased, flies great, looks great and is even going to look better soon.

DG
Sep 18, 2019, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
I was able to address a few things, that are probably unnecessary, but still fun for me.
I used some Proctor radiator material to make the Rimfire 65cc not visible. But it still gets reasonable airflow.

I made up some cylinder head nuts and bolts to make the engine more to my liking.
Added a weathered brass radiator cap and prop hub and nut.
Also got a Xoar 24-10 Lance painted prop.
I had the simitar shape prop prior to today.
The Lance doesn't draw quite as much current as the simitar, and my brief backyard run-up had no sync-blurps.
I'm going to a giant scale fly-in tomorrow and I'll report on flight performance.

DG

D-VII had a solid bracing below horizontal stabilizer, so I placed an airfoil shaped brace
Also replaced the top stabilizer rigging with some brass hardware
Sep 18, 2019, 06:26 PM
Thread OP

Lucky 13

I logged my 13th flight this past weekend.
One nice thing for me about this project was that I already owned the ESC and 8000mah batteries.
I'm still working on some scale detailing, but I'm very happy with the DVII

DG
Sep 18, 2019, 06:42 PM
Arrowhead
Nice! It’s been kinda tempting me, I’ve been itching to try a biplane, but not a modern aerobatic one. How is it for setup/breakdown at the field?
Sep 18, 2019, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
Hi CF105
only four bolts to attach wings.
Less than 5 minutes.
Wings have a nice crutch system for a quick slip onto spars.

DG
Last edited by Dave Grife; Sep 20, 2019 at 06:23 AM.
Sep 21, 2019, 03:20 AM
186mph Funjet Ultra
Hi Dave.

What is your all up weight and CG?
Mine ended up at 12Kg with a cg at 7" without lead!
Motor Rotomax 50cc, 25x10 scale prop, 10S 8000. (2x SLS Quantum MULTI 5S 30/60C).
Esc Scorpion Tribunus 12-130.
I routed the aileron leads through the rear cabane struts.

Regards,
René
Last edited by E-speed buff; Sep 21, 2019 at 03:26 AM.
Sep 22, 2019, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-speed buff
Hi Dave.

What is your all up weight and CG?
Mine ended up at 12Kg with a cg at 7" without lead!
Motor Rotomax 50cc, 25x10 scale prop, 10S 8000. (2x SLS Quantum MULTI 5S 30/60C).
Esc Scorpion Tribunus 12-130.
I routed the aileron leads through the rear cabane struts.

Regards,
René
Hi, My CG. is at 7" also
I don't have a workshop scale that will measure this planes' weight
But using a bathroom scale, I'm getting about 27lbs.
If I were to have guessed, I'd estimate well below 25lbs. as it flies so lightly

DG
Sep 23, 2019, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Hanger 9 Fokker D 7 1/4 Scale Electric (7 min 39 sec)
Sep 24, 2019, 01:05 PM
186mph Funjet Ultra
Hi Dave.

Where did you get the mirrored Raven markings?
The one's with the kit are the same but not mirrored.
That's also the case with the skull's

René

ps. Nice flying!
Sep 24, 2019, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-speed buff
Hi Dave.

Where did you get the mirrored Raven markings?
The one's with the kit are the same but not mirrored.
That's also the case with the skull's

René

ps. Nice flying!
Thanks,
Vinyl graphics www.callie-graphics.com

DG
Sep 24, 2019, 03:57 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Getting close to wrapping mine up. Overall a very nice ARF so far. I'm going to have to sand the wing joiners if I expect to get the wings on and off in pairs. There's a couple other minor things I'm gonna whine about too. Decided early on to finish it as a fun plane over something more scale. But, I'll bet it would still work well for Fun Scale.
Sep 24, 2019, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
#0-3/8 screws, hex head bolts on wing struts

DG

Hi Tim, yes the wing tubes are tight but mine are getting better with time and strategic approach to assemble and disassemble
Sep 24, 2019, 06:05 PM
Greetings from UPNorth! Dave looks like a very well done plane but yeah I would change the engine louvers for sure. I've been looking at the BUSA DVII for a while now even for the kit it's a bit pricey now thanks to all the stress on the balsa market from wind generators. Geez...the price of balsa is getting out of hand.
Are you flying with Ken Myers and his bunch?
A couple years ago there was a build posted on RC Scale Builder of the BUSA D VII and he turned out a magnificent ship. They do make a great looking plane in the air. Somehow having to deal with a bipe without all those flying wires is a lot more attractive than spending an hour or more rigging up all that wiring.
Looks great in the air!
Cheers.
Sep 25, 2019, 03:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I would change the engine louvers for sure.
Are you flying with Ken Myers and his bunch?
Looks great in the air!
Cheers.
Hi, Glad to hear from another DVII enthusiast.
What exactly don't you like about the louvers?
Ken has been a friend of mine for about 30 years, but 25 years ago I moved to the other side of state, I still see him every summer at several flying events.
Best,
DG

Quick Reply