Sep 18, 2019, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

A glider called GALAXY

I’m starting a build log for a small glider I designed. The fuselage is made from 1/16” bass wood, all laser cut parts. The wings are CNC hotwire cut foam.

The wing span will be 25” and a flying weight around 100g. I went with the NACA 2408 airfoil, a thinner airfoil may perform slightly better but I was worried it wouldn't be stiff enough. No spar in the wings, only glue and paper covering.

One thing i was surprised about is the rounded nose. The bass wood is cut in such a way that the flat sheet can be wrapped around to make a strong nose piece.

I went with the Galaxy name because of the unique color scheme, more on that later…

Here are a few pics so far.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 11:25 PM
Thread OP
I let it sit overnight so the glue can dry. After that, some light sanding with 220 grit, just getting rid of the excess glue and rounding the sharp corners.

The paper covering is cut to size, and applied to the fuselage section by section. A little elmers with water, works magic.
Sep 21, 2019, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
Here are a few pics of the wing covering. The foam blocks are cut with the dihedral. Same covering technique as the fuse, elmers glue slightly diluted with water. Each wing has a separate paper covering and a "joiner" strap in the middle. While the glue is still wet, I put the top bed back on and load it up with weight. When its dry is should be stiff and smooth. Its been humid in dallas (imagine that), so its taking about 1.5 days to dry out.

Some day on a larger model, I want to try fiberglass.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:22 PM
Thread OP
Here is the finished glider. When I first started working with paper over foam, I was surprised at how light and strong a wing could be. The plane is held up by only the wing tips, there is very little flex. The wing is designed with dihedral, so naturally the tips will be higher than the root.

Its a simple kit that goes together quick. I think the graphics turned out really slick, no monokote, no spray paint, no packing tape. Just cut the pattern and glue. There is a small park with a hill near me for some test flights, hopefully i can get some good footage.
Sep 25, 2019, 07:31 AM
Culper Junior
Nice workmanship!
Oct 11, 2019, 09:27 PM
Thread OP
I finally got some video of it flying.

Galaxy (0 min 59 sec)
Last edited by uscimo; Oct 11, 2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: fixed link

Quick Reply