Sep 18, 2019, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
Question

Marblehead Jib questions

I acquired an old Marblehead and want to restore it for casual sailing. I have built, restored and sailed a few other smaller models as well as full sized ones, but I'm not a racer; I only sail for pleasure. This Marblehead has a few features on its jib that I am unfamiliar with and would like some insight as to their purpose.

1. The photo below shows that the jib has a bowsied line on its boom between the swivel and sheet attachment. What is it for and where does it attach?

2. The luff of the jib has an aluminum tube inserted (maybe to stiffen the luff?). I would think this adds quite a bit of upper weight. Is this for better performance or should I replace it with a luff wire?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Fred
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 05:25 PM
John - In my private capacity
HI Fred,

Yes, I would replace the aluminum jib stay with a wire one - lighter and more resilient to possible damage. If you can, take a look at how an IOM jib is rigged so see how the rigging on a modern boat has evolved.

The line with bowsie is probably to adjust the jib sheet - feed the jib sheet through the wire loop and up to the clip on the line.

John
Sep 18, 2019, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the very quick response, John.
I will definitely take your advice and change that aluminum jib stay.
And now the line with the bowsie makes a lot of sense because I see no other means of adjusting the length of the jib sheet.
You've been a big help.
Fred
Sep 18, 2019, 08:38 PM

old Marblehead

Fred
Hello--can we see the rest of the boat.please ?
I know I haven't seen everything YET, but that tube up the luff is a new one. what were they thinking?
Allan
Sep 18, 2019, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
Allan,
Currently, the mast is down so that I can work on the servos/winch. It came with old Kraft electronics that I want to test before updating it. I'll see what I can post in a day or two for pictures.
Fred
Sep 18, 2019, 10:27 PM
Without the tube in its big sleeve, you might have a pretty rough looking and performing sail. It already looks not in great shape, you might consider a new set of sails.
Iíve also never seen a tube like that in a jib. What were they thinking?
Sep 19, 2019, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
Iíve also never seen a tube like that in a jib. What were they thinking?
It seems like they went through a LOT of trouble to make the length of the tube adjustable. Is there any "good" reason one would do this??? That kinda seems like a big clue... I mean bowsies and a simple line or wire accomplish almost as much. That tube would be nice and stiff.

I would love to see the rest of the rigging, and the boat too of course!

Was the tube attached to the mast? If so, that kinda starts to make some sense.
Sep 19, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Today I sort of put the mast/sails on the Marblehead. A few bits of hardware are missing so these are some shortcomings as follows:
- The lower shrouds had missing turnbuckles so I just taped them to the upper shrouds at the chain plates.
- The sheets are not yet properly adjusted but they will be adjustable on the booms eventually.
- The gooseneck is missing parts so I temporarily used some washers to keep it positioned... crude but works to get some photos.
- At the top of that aluminum jib tube there is a turnbuckle with a missing end. I believe it would have connected to that wire hook with the little loop in it. The wire hook also holds the jib head.

Bear in mind that this thing was built in the 70's, never before updated, and has been in storage for possibly 20-30 years. The servo/winch operates except for a bit of jittering when it finds its stopping point. I tested it with a servo tester and the limits of travel are way off, probably because I'm not using the original radio. Would those limits be adjusted by changing the 220 and 270 ohm resistors on the potentiometer at the end of the shaft?

Now here are some photos that you asked for. Let me know if you want more.
Fred
Sep 19, 2019, 05:47 PM

Marblehead # 946

Fred
OK, now we are getting somewhere !
Lets start with your intentions--do you "just" want to get this boat sailing and see how it goes, or at some point get money serious about this project ? You'll have to work that out one day.
here are some impressions ,from what I see in the pics, possible items to get her on the water...
1) is there a rudder ? (not being smart-did not see one )
2) you don't need that forestay. in fact,you could use that adjuster at the jib luff wire connecting it to the mast. that fitting on the bow can go away.
3)lose the alum tube up the jib luff-use wire instead-should be no problem pulling one thru there
4)you can get 4 rigging screws from midwest model yachting dot com -size # 130,they are $5.35 ea. USD
5) the deck fitting for the jib swivel--it's too much, weight & pieces, if you can figure out what the main deck beam is, remove all that and just put a screw eye in.keep it simple.
6)electronics are another item, didn't see a rudder servo but that's a $12. item. main winch? never seen a set up like it-no idea what to say.
7) the rig and sails. well, that goes back to what you want to do with the boat. anybody race Ms up by you ?
look
I'm honestly just trying to help a guy out-opinions are worth what you pay for 'em. I just saw some bullet points to address.
hope this is of some help
Allan
HA--Bluebeard makes an appearance on "talk like a pirate day" arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr matey
Last edited by thorsail; Sep 19, 2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added something
Sep 19, 2019, 06:18 PM
For more on that winch, see this thread and start at post #14.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9-What-is-this

John
Sep 19, 2019, 06:37 PM
My two cents worth.

You have an unique craft that is a testament to someone's ingenuity. In its' current form it will be a talking point any time that you take it sailing.

The only thing that I would do is sort out the attachment point at the mast and replace such fittings as are missing.

You want it for fun sailing, not competition, and so I say to keep it as original as possible.

But that's just me.

Cheers,

Terry
Sep 19, 2019, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Allan,

My intentions: Strictly for casual pleasure sailing in a pond - no racing. I don't intend to rebuild it under class rules to the point where I would sell it as a modern racing sailboat. I don't wish to put much money into it (e.g. I wouldn't buy new sails). I have RC planes and an electronic background so I'm well set up with various TX/Rx/servo systems. Although that winch is foreign to me.

1. Yes, there is a rudder & linkage & servo. I just haven't bothered to install it.

2. Good, that frees up another turnbuckle. The other boats I've had didn't have forestays either.

3. Yes, I'll do that. Do you think the pocket on the luff could be ironed flat? or some other way?

4. That's reasonable. In the past I've also ordered parts from the UK. US-to-Canada shipping is much more than UK-to-Canada. I'll investigate.

5. OK. I may leave that till after sailing it in order to get a feel for the for/aft location on that deck fitting.

6. I have the Kraft rudder servo but will replace it with a more modern/smaller/lighter one. I'm going to play with that winch some more to see if it can work. If not, I may consider an arm servo for simplicity.

7. If M class is raced at all in Toronto, it would be at least a 2.5-3 hour drive away. Not for me.

Your suggestions have been a great help. Those are the kind of opinions I wanted. Thank you, Allan.
Fred
Sep 19, 2019, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
John,
Thank you for that link. There's good information on the winch and that boat's builder probably knows the builder of my boat. Small world.
Fred
Sep 19, 2019, 08:07 PM
Hi Fred,

DO NOT try to iron the sails - heat will damage them.

The boat is a Marblehead and may be another Bambi.

Just fix up the deficiencies and go sailing - it will sail very well - and enjoy.

Replace the turnbuckle on the backstay with a bowsie, and then use that together with the one from the bow to replace the missing turnbuckles.

John
Last edited by hiljoball; Sep 19, 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, John.
I hadn't planned on sailing it till the spring. That will give me all winter to decide how much to modernize the jib rigging. I should probably leave it as is and sail it. If it performs poorly, I could then try some changes. Decisions, decisions.

This evening I tested the Kraft radio, receiver and rudder servo... they all work fine, but I will be changing to a more modern setup. I was amazed the NiCad in the radio was dated 2002 and it still took a charge and held it.

I think now my efforts will go to making that funny winch work with a modern radio. The other priority will be to replace all standing rigging and use quick clips instead of the tiny brass clevises with nuts & bolts. It would be nice to keep it original but I also have to consider the ease of setting it up at the pond.

THANK YOU ALL for the wonderful comments and suggestions. I appreciate it.
Fred

Quick Reply