Sep 18, 2019, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DRACO - Turbo Bush Plane Crash

Most of you know about the turbo powered bush plane Draco. One of a kind. Well it crashed on takeoff yesterday. Thought folks might like to know.

Draco crash today (10 min 56 sec)
the crash is at 6:00 on the video.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 12:58 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Saw the video, sounds like he exceeded the airplanes crosswind capability. Good that he survived.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but listening to the wind noise during the video suggests a very high wind. Didn't see the windsock, but it was really blasting. Good time to leave it in the hangar.

Back around late '72 or early '73, I was landing my 1946 Luscombe 8A Silvaire in a Santa Ana crosswind at Orange County Airport (KSNA). Gust came along from behind, and with my holding full aft stick in an effort to pin the tail down, flipped the airplane inverted on 19L. Got both wings, vertical stabilizer and rudder, cowl, prop, all the things you'd expect. Some onlookers helped me right the airplane, and I took it home. Lots of structural repair and replacement, new prop (still have the old one), overhaul the engine for a prop strike, repaired or replaced bent aluminum as needed. This particular 8A was a ragwing, so it was re-covered in Stits.

Flew it to Oshkosh, Wisconsin EAA show in the summer of '74.

Whether he flies Draco again depends on the will, drive, parts--of which he might have to fabricate as I did--and of course, money he has available. I wouldn't write this airplane off any sooner than a crashed model. A realistic assessment will help the decision.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Sep 18, 2019, 01:24 PM
Pro Hoarder
In the video he says gusts were up to 30mph..should have stayed on the ground or direct into the wind...His words
Latest blog entry: In flight
Sep 18, 2019, 02:25 PM
AMA 537620
That’s a shame. That plane was pretty awesome. Glad he is ok.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
There is another video and it says there were three people onboard and they all walked away without medical treatment. They were leaving the Reno Air Races on Sunday after the 'Stol Landing' competition had been called off because of crosswind. Draco was not in the competition but was there on display. He had some new shock/struts that had been recently installed. Really looks like the suspension was very soft to lean the plane over like that. Glad nobody hurt.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:40 PM
Really a bummer. But he did try to take off with too much crosswind. I hope they can rebuild it again.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:21 PM
He had to build most of the plane from scratch, so re-building it shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially for someone of his talents! When asked what it cost, he replied "I told my wife it was $1,000,000".

I followed the development of the plane on his YouTube channel, and then got to see it up close this past spring when he flew up here to Alaska. Mighty impressive work.

It sure appears he fell victim to "get there-itis", you could see the upwind wing lifting up even before the plane moved.

Quick Reply