Sep 18, 2019, 08:29 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Discussion

Local Nitromethane?

I live in the US and I can't seem to find a good source for Nitro. I've checked various racing shops and the best I can find is a 5 gallon container, which is waaaay more than I need. Has anyone had luck finding a gallon of nitro for sale locally in their area?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 10:11 AM
A man with too many toys
As I recall the normal racing Nitro is only 50% pure. When mixing you own fuel you have to be aware that most nitromethane is not 100%. The label will tell you the percentage.

You could ask the racing shop if they could order a gallon for you next time they order a shipment. That way you would not have to pay a huge shipping cost.

Sometimes the RC fuel mixing companies will sell you nitromethane. The problem with that is the shipping cost. Now days I just buy mixed RC fuel by the case and go fly.

Sep 18, 2019, 04:30 PM
Nitromethane is only made in China now. They have to import it. There are some chemical companies that make it in the US in small quantities, but they only use it for themselves or to sell to laboratories.
Sep 18, 2019, 05:24 PM
A man with too many toys
How did we get to the point where most everything is made in China

How hard is it to make? Could a group of modelers start their own Nitro company?

Sep 18, 2019, 06:29 PM
The Democratic administrations imposed more and more regulations and environmental restrictions. The companies all went global and started doing business in other countries or even building factories overseas too. The Chinese always offer the greatest incentives of course. Then the government wants to tax the companies heavily if they bring their profits back into the USA, so the companies simply park their money overseas instead.

It would be nigh impossible to build a new nitromethane manufacturing plant in the USA. The environmental regulations actually block and prevent it from happening. The one factory in the USA left that used to make nitromethane shut down after a chemical fire and explosion. They never repaired and started back up. They had another source in China that was cheaper to buy from of course.

It is not easy to make: ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane
Since it is easy to make explosives with it, the government severely regulates it. That is why you cannot buy 100% nitromethane anywhere.

Wego Chemical owns a part interest in a chemical plant in China , and they sell Nitromethane for racing in the USA.
The only Nitromethane still made in the USA is from Angus (which is a Dow company) , and they stopped selling it for racing because of Homeland security, plus the Oklahoma bombing and the theft in France.
Last edited by earlwb; Sep 18, 2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: add more info
Sep 18, 2019, 06:44 PM
Nitromethane is for sale on Ebay, 100%. I have and am using from this supplier.

Regards
Dennis

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torco-100-N...4AAOSw8jlcozyS
Sep 18, 2019, 07:24 PM
Very interesting, but I have my doubts that it is really 100% pure nitromethane though.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:22 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
It's sad that we have to import our Nitro. I grew up with a Dad who is heavily into Top Fuel drag racing and we go to races every once and awhile. Man, that stuff smells good!

So it sounds like mixing your own glow fuel has become impractical? I would like to buy Nitro locally to get around the shipping costs. Also, is "non pure" Nitro usable?

I would buy a case but I'd prefer to have a few gallons of 15% and a few gallons of 20%. Maybe a gallon of 10% mixed in there for my two strokes.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
Very interesting, but I have my doubts that it is really 100% pure nitromethane though.
Earl, You are welcome to your doubts, I have been mixing fuel for myself and others for several years. I am certain that it is 100%.

Regards
Dennis
Sep 19, 2019, 06:35 AM
Check your local area for dealers using the link below, methanol and nitromethane available.

Regards
Dennis

https://vpracingfuels.com/
Sep 19, 2019, 07:49 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
VP sells a 50/50 mix with methanol in 5 gallon quantities according to a webpage I found, that would be pretty close to ideal. It would take me awhile to use up 5 gallons of 100%. I'm hoping my local VP rep can get some in.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:58 AM
A man with too many toys
I have read that it's not legal to ship or sell 100% pure nitromethane. 50/50 mix is the most common. That's OK you just have to adjust your mix to account for that.

Sep 19, 2019, 09:25 AM
The Chinese nitromethane isn't all that pure. They have some impurities in it. But it still works OK. You would have to freeze it a bunch more times and clean off the impurities in it. I think that they ship it at 50/50 mix too. Too much risk of an explosion occurring. A laboratory would purify it a lot before they use it.

Remember they didn't think it was a explosive years ago. Then a railroad tanker car exploded when they were draining or filling it with 100% nitromethane. They think that a adiabatic pressure condition caused the ignition and it blew up. The worker may have shut off the valve too fast causing a hydraulic hammer effect to occur. Little tiny gas bubbles caused a adiabatic condition to occur leading to ignition and the explosion.

Thus 50/50 is a lot more safe to ship.

That isn't to say that someone isn't selling of shipping it at 100% purity though. I don't know if it is legal or not.
Sep 19, 2019, 09:30 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
The Chinese nitromethane isn't all that pure. They have some impurities in it. But it still works OK. You would have to freeze it a bunch more times and clean off the impurities in it. I think that they ship it at 50/50 mix too. Too much risk of an explosion occurring. A laboratory would purify it a lot before they use it.

Remember they didn't think it was a explosive years ago. Then a railroad tanker car exploded when they were draining or filling it with 100% nitromethane. They think that a adiabatic pressure condition caused the ignition and it blew up. The worker may have shut off the valve too fast causing a hydraulic hammer effect to occur. Little tiny gas bubbles caused a adiabatic condition to occur leading to ignition and the explosion.

Thus 50/50 is a lot more safe to ship.

That isn't to say that someone isn't selling of shipping it at 100% purity though. I don't know if it is legal or not.
Would you say that a 50/50 mix with methanol would be fairly "pure" in terms of being what it says it is?
Sep 19, 2019, 10:15 AM
A man with too many toys
A number of years back some were experimenting with other Nitro compounds. I don't remember the name but as I recall it was less expensive and had good performance, better than methanol only. It might have been nitroethane.
Last edited by RC Man; Sep 19, 2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply