Sep 19, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemo99
Try Value Hobby for high quality and much lower prices. Iíve had nothing but success with them.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-lipo.html?p=4
+1 for Value Hobby. I have used their batteries for several years an have had great results. They ship fast and have more resonable prices.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 05:15 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by charbel1011
so im shopping for lipo batteries and i came across the C rating. do i need 30c or 50c? like im legit confused now. i fly my maule and i have a mini apprentice. and planning to get a e flite valiant. i know for a fact my maule take 40amps. so what do i need to get?
Want a stupid rule of thumb that'll work without getting a college degree in electrical engineering? Here ya go:
  • If you're flying a prop plane that's considered an easy flyer (Apprentice, Maul, etc), then a 20C rating is 'good enough', but I'd recommend at least 30C.
  • If you're flying something like a scale warbird, I'd recommend 30C - 40C.
  • If you're flying a 3D or High Performance prop plane, go with 40C or higher.
  • If you're flying an EDF jet, I suggest 40C minimum, but 50C or higher is preferred.

Now it's time for all the "experts" to come tell me why I'm wrong, but what I told you will work in 90% of situations.
Sep 19, 2019, 11:54 PM
For the planes you listed, 30c will be fine.
The battery's you're considering buying are a bit over priced for what they are imo.
Do a little searching around and you'll find battery's with the same specs (or better) at lower prices.
Sep 22, 2019, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
C rating was originally used to calculate the maximum current you could use to safely totally discharge a battery without harming it. That drove the size of the wires and connector. Now days it's just a mad-up marketing number that is mostly useless.

The higher the C the higher the price. Just double the C rating and double the price and everyone thinks they are getting a better battery.

i ordered bunch of 3s-4s 50c by spektrum. is that bad or good?
Sep 22, 2019, 09:21 PM
aka ShadowVFX
Spektrum has a more honest C rating than most brands (in my experience), so you should be good.
Sep 23, 2019, 12:42 PM
I would go with Suko's recommendations. I use 30c batteries in all my sport flying prop planes from 2s to 6s with no issues and I fly hard. Anything more than that is a just extra weight. I also just purchase Turnigy batteries as they are less expensive and work great. Every once in a while I get a bad cell that wont take a charge very good, but that is after a few years of flying on them.

Quick Reply