Oct 07, 2019, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Gene, the paint on this model is a very light gray. Is it not the correct shade?
Kmot,

The gray is a good match for Light Gull Gray, but if you want to go more scale, the bottom of the wings, the fuselage, and the horizontal stab should be white as shown here:

Name: Skyraider Colors (Copy).jpg
Views: 71
Size: 318.6 KB
Description:

That is the USN post war standard, and the Warbird that the HK model depicts is painted accordingly. Click the graphic a couple of times to enlarge.

I notated the FS numbers for good measure, but essentially any white should do. (I'll use a thinned white acrylic primer for good coverage and tolerable weight.)

I've added flaps to my model, and hope someone (like Darkangel1) leads the way with suitable retracts.

Gene K
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2019, 03:45 PM
Got a break in the weather and attempted to maiden mine. On 2s it took off quickly but ended up still being way tail heavy with the battery as far forward as possible and crashed shortly after. Totally uncontrollable but only damage was a broken prop even after a pretty hard crash landing. Tough bird!!! going to have to add a lot more weight to the nose even with the 3s. Helped the ground is soft from all the rain we got over the past 24 hours.
Oct 07, 2019, 04:05 PM
Grumpa Tom
Wow! Glad to hear it survived!
Oct 07, 2019, 04:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
Gene, thanks for the Skyraider graphic.
Oct 07, 2019, 04:43 PM
Second flight went much better but quickly learned I need to go to my bigger flying area. This thing doesn't handle quite like a UMX lol. After adding a large fishing weight up in the nose where there is a hole in the firewall she flew great. I only used two props also instead of four and on 2s even though I have plenty of spares. Problem 2 arose when it came time to land. With it on beginner mode the thing absolutely did not want to come down even with zero throttle for quite a ways, just floated like a glider and just as well as my UMX Timber. Overshot my landing area and went into a soft muddy grassy area and broke the landing gear out of the right wing but very simple glue repair that's already been done. I knew better than try and fly it in my area across the street but couldn't resist trying it. Next flights will be in a much larger area where I'm not battling to keep it out of trees constantly and can get a better feel for the way it flies but at least it definitely does fly now!
Oct 07, 2019, 04:44 PM
Just here for the fun
I got to maiden mine over the weekend, first flight was with only the center bomb, 3s 800 pushed all the way forward and balanced (held upside down on my fingers) right on the panel line on top of the wing that matches the measurement in the manual. Needed some down trim and the stabilizer worked well, is very sluggish in beginner mode, I ended up flying in advanced mode on high rates and it flew very well. Later flights I used some other batteries that are getting weak and it was noticeably down on power, I don't think 2s would be a good idea.
Looking at the front it almost looks like it has some up thrust built in, definitely has right thrust, I am not sure how to get to the motor mount to adjust it. There is a hole in the bottom of the cowl to put a hex wrench into to get the motor off the mount but the mount is still hidden behind the dummy motor.

Bill
Oct 07, 2019, 04:47 PM
Walked away from all landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
No 800mms
Good point. Reading about the FMS line of warbirds there were a lot of comment about having to fly the 800 series faster, due to their weight. I have one of the FMS 800 T-28's and consider it to be a very good flyer, however can not say the same about my FMS 800 Corsair. That bird really has to be flown fast in order to keep control.

It may well be that is why the 1100 series of planes seem to be the norm, at least right now. However, if the demand is there for the 800 series birds I am sure FMS or someone else will be happy to fill the void, if one does exist for the 800 size birds.
Oct 07, 2019, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam Arrow
I got to maiden mine over the weekend, first flight was with only the center bomb, 3s 800 pushed all the way forward and balanced (held upside down on my fingers) right on the panel line on top of the wing that matches the measurement in the manual. Needed some down trim and the stabilizer worked well, is very sluggish in beginner mode, I ended up flying in advanced mode on high rates and it flew very well. Later flights I used some other batteries that are getting weak and it was noticeably down on power, I don't think 2s would be a good idea.
Looking at the front it almost looks like it has some up thrust built in, definitely has right thrust, I am not sure how to get to the motor mount to adjust it. There is a hole in the bottom of the cowl to put a hex wrench into to get the motor off the mount but the mount is still hidden behind the dummy motor.

Bill
Agree it is very sluggish in beginner mode and it was a battle to get the thing to turn tight enough to keep it out of all the trees I'm surrounded by using rudder, elevator, and ailerons . Never flipped it out of beginner mode but definitely should have especially when trying to land. The ORX gyro almost works too well! I should have given some down elevator but was in shock watching this thing just float by lol. Really did not expect that it would sit there level 4 feet in the air for a good 75 feet!
Oct 07, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:

Bill
The thrust angle is there to counter left torque roll. These planes will not fly correctly without it. It's built into the motor mount and isn't really adjustable. It can be with some washers or such but unless something is really out of wack needs to be left alone.
Oct 08, 2019, 09:46 AM
Just here for the fun
Quote:
The thrust angle is there to counter left torque roll. These planes will not fly correctly without it. It's built into the motor mount and isn't really adjustable. It can be with some washers or such but unless something is really out of wack needs to be left alone.
I understand that for the right thrust, and I do see that but I would expect to see down thrust also not up.
Oct 08, 2019, 09:56 AM
Quote:
I understand that for the right thrust, and I do see that but I would expect to see down thrust also not up.
Mine is up and right also. I've got planes made both ways so I guess it just depends on the design and flight characteristics.
Oct 08, 2019, 03:44 PM
Just a warning to those that plan to fly this plane for the first time and are using the safe setting. This plane will need a LOT of room to turn. Just flew 2 batteries through mine and this thing takes a good 50 yards to get turned as it wants to do very gentle turns on safe and trying to get it to do a bank and yank is nearly impossible. Only a couple of times could I get it to do a tight turn maneuver. It flies incredibly stable in 15mph winds however and I was just using a 2s battery and only 2 props without any other issues. I never turned it off safe where you have much more surface movement because of the wind and flying in a new to me spot with a road next to it that turned out to be much busier than I thought and was afraid of possibly crashing into a moving car. Hand launch is a breeze also in beginner mode,
Oct 09, 2019, 01:31 PM
I fly boats
Did anybody try to set it up with Sbus ?

There is nothing about it in the Manual.....

Mine is still on the way but i was plannuing to use one of my tiny FrSky Sbus receivers.
Oct 09, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx78
Did anybody try to set it up with Sbus ?

There is nothing about it in the Manual.....

Mine is still on the way but i was plannuing to use one of my tiny FrSky Sbus receivers.
I've found absolutely zero information about that 6 axis gyro anywhere. I don't know if this is even an old or new product.
Oct 09, 2019, 11:18 PM
I fly boats
Quote:
I've found absolutely zero information about that 6 axis gyro anywhere. I don't know if this is even an old or new product.
Same here, i even looked for similiar products in banggood but could not find anything that looks like it.
Last edited by maxx78; Oct 10, 2019 at 05:33 AM.

Quick Reply