Sep 17, 2019, 10:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Giving hovering a try

Decided to try my hand at a hovercraft while I wait for some parts to arrive for my boats.
Never had one, never built one but had a lot of spare parts laying about, so why not.

The top and bottom and all bulkheads are made from kerdi-board, a tile backing board kindly given to me by a supplier.
The rest is balsa, cedar and a tiny bit of fiberglass.
The skirt is a cheap rip stop I got off ebay but it is doing the job.

First test outside the dining room. Kept having the thrust motor cutting out, turns out it was a bad servo lead. The esc were getting too hot so I have change to a larger motor and will fit larger esc too.

Hovercraft test part 1 (0 min 26 sec)

Turns out I love these things and plan on building a few more with the wife asking for one too. This one is getting "prettied" up right now and the wiring is getting orderly.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
Gave it a quick coat of paint and reinstalled the electronics and went for a test run and found out the intermittent fault is a bad esc. Luckily my new ones were already ordered and should be here soon.
Next job is build some sort of superstructure to cover the two main openings and make some vent covers.

Quick Reply