Sep 17, 2019, 06:42 PM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
Thread OP
Discussion

DHK Hunter chassis upgrades

Hopefully this hasn't been covered before (I couldn't find anything myself)...

Curious as to whether the DHK Optimus XL chassis (alloy), along with the plastic side pieces, would work with the Hunter?

I've seen only one picture of what looked like exactly that combo, and most of the holes seem to line up (albeit some extras that would end up unused), but wanted to hear from anyone who has attempted this (or has both models and can compare).

I just bought a Hunter BL the other day as my second SCT - first was a Turnigy Trooper a few years ago that, well, fell apart (as they do). Keen on some minor upgrades where I can (servo, sway bars, and fixing that horrible slop in the steering rack!).
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 07:02 PM
Car Bashing
I remember the big threads about the Trooper, now it is discontinued, as often with HK cars. I was often close to buy one during sale off, i'm glad i didn't.

I own the DHK Optimus XL and Zombie. From what i see of the DHK Hunter the aluminum chassis plate will be a direct fit.

The main differences between the Optimus and the Hunter chassis are the chassis plate, the motor mount, the bumpers,the shock absorbers, the wheels axle and the body mounts and shell.
Last edited by Jym73; Sep 17, 2019 at 07:27 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:47 AM
I can't tell you about the chassis compatibility I'm afraid , the only things I did were to replace the steering servo and put way thicker oil in the shocks , the shocks are very basic , the shock shaft and piston head are one piece like and the piston head is too small , I mixed up some diff syrup and shock oil and used that and it works well , the steering slop is annoying but in all honesty I can't feel it when I'm driving so never did anything about it . These cars are tanks ! I've replaced one spur gear and only because a stone chip got lodged into it and damaged two teeth , other than the servo being crap these are just solid cars right out of the box .
Sep 22, 2019, 08:50 PM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
Thread OP
Yep, I took mine for its maiden voyage at the track yesterday. Superb really for what it is, strong as an ox too.

Shocks were waaaay under-damped, so i'll chuck something heavier in (only have 350 and 700 on hand; from what you say about the pistons 700 might be the deal). Steering was surprisingly good given the slop, but needs to be replaced with something faster.

I didn't like the lateral slop in the axles, so added an o-ring between the bearing and hex pin - which also keeps the pin from falling out.

Fixings came loose on the motor mount (my bad for not loctiting stuff), caught that just before the gear lash caused any issues. Hub nuts kept working loose and I eventually lost one, so I need something better there.

And the tyres...on the loose dry clay track they were a bit of a joke, but fun nonetheless to powerslide around corners.

So next stop will be sway bars front and rear, tyres, servo and shocks. And I reckon some springs in the central driveline to keep those dogbones centred and not flopping forward and back.
Sep 23, 2019, 12:02 AM
I think I fitted Fastrax Rock Block tyres to mine , reasonable price and way better grip , the steering servo is not just slow , its going to strip in no time ! The sway bar kit is a good upgrade .

Quick Reply