Nov 07, 2019, 05:20 PM
Thread OP

2nd Wing Mylars

For the 2nd wing set ,I used the same mylars that I used for the 2-meter wing by cutting off 6" from the root end. The bottom mylars were painted with 2-part epoxy clear and the top mylays painted with 2 part epoxy white sandable primer. The white primer is great for the finish color. Not sure if I have enough school buss yellow in the can to do the wings. I just may finish these white on top.

Tom f.
Last edited by TomFlyer; Nov 09, 2019 at 07:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2019, 05:55 AM
gonzalo contreras

V-max

hmm.. it`s fast and dangerously. Regards Tom
Nov 10, 2019, 02:15 PM
Tom, is that a "T-Max?"
Nov 10, 2019, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
Tom, is that a "T-Max?"
Hay Ward: The wings are for the V-max. No T-tail like the Rotor, but the wings are Rotor size. The fuse is one of Joe C's Wood Pecker. Go to post # 50 for pictures of my V-max with the 2-Meter wings.

Tom f.
Nov 10, 2019, 05:18 PM
Aaaaah...I should have recognized that fuse. Nice!
Nov 10, 2019, 06:00 PM
On the Go Fly List
I like your Mylar skin paint rack Tom.
Nov 10, 2019, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
Aaaaah...I should have recognized that fuse. Nice!
I think that the Woodpecker is what you would call a cross tail. The old wings and stabs will be used with this new fuse. Old canopy does not fit on this new fuse, but that is ok as I have a new canopy also
Tom f. .
Nov 10, 2019, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarchitect
I like your Mylar skin paint rack Tom.
They work great Adam. I put the 2 bottoms on one back to back and the two tops on the other back to back. Just use masking tape to hold them to the frame. Before I put epoxy and FG on them, I wipe off any shop dust.

I got pin hole free finish on both the top and bottom. 👍

Tom f.
Nov 11, 2019, 03:58 PM
Thread OP

2nd Wing set Progress

So I got the cores prepared with installing the brass tubes, root rib, and sub rib. Some filling and smoothing needed in preparation for bagging. Next step was the LE or the foam cores. Put one strip of 1-K carbon fiber on with old formula 3M77 then the a strip of Kevlar. Kevlar to let me know when to stop sanding the next layer of CF and Fiberglass.

the way that I get a pin hole free finish is to start by spreading a thin film of epoxy on the mylar paint. I use 2 or 3 business card as my squeegee to spread the epoxy around and leave only a thin film. Next I lay the light FG cloth ( 3/4 oz. in this case) on top of that and smooth out the glass using the business cards. add some epoxy on top and spread that around with business cards. I am doing this on top of paper towels on top of a cutting mat. When all the wrinkles are out of the FG I trim the FS to the back edge an root end of the mylar. Then I trim the FG at the LE and rounded tip at about 1/2" beyond the mylar. Then I put the wet side off the trimed FG on top of my CF layer. I trim the CF layer the same as the FG layer. Then I flip the mylar over and add the epoxy. I do not use a roller, just the business cards to squeegee the epoxy around on top of the CF. Because I am using MGS epoxy, it penetrates the cloth.

I use a disposable acid brush to put the epoxy on the LE and brass tube reinforcement. Excess is spread out on to the foam core that has the woodpecker treatment.

Each wing takes about 1-hour to lay up when I have my reinforcement cut to a workable size (8' x 36" in this case).

Tom f.
Last edited by TomFlyer; Nov 12, 2019 at 12:05 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thread OP

More details

So I am moving right along on building out the second wing and prepare the machined torque tubes with balsa end caps. the end caps needed to keep out the 5-minuter epoxy that is used to connected the torque tube to the wing installed brass tube. A few tips on doing the balsa caps, then what was needed to get the tubes to fit into the 6 bearing Blingeron hardware block.

Winch Doc made these Bilingeron block back in 2007. I am finally getting around to using mine.

Tom f.
Nov 17, 2019, 06:19 PM
Eagle Butte User
Nice work, Tom!
Nov 17, 2019, 10:26 PM
Tom, are those just set up servos or you plan on using those? I would not recommend using that level of servo in a pitcheron especially a two meter . what are the specs on those servos?
Nov 17, 2019, 10:54 PM
On the Go Fly List
HS425bb specs.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:51 AM
Tom, I would not use these servos on this plane at two meters and 60-70 oz . I recommend 140 in oz at the min for pitcheron two meter.
Cheers
Nov 18, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemach1
Tom, I would not use these servos on this plane at two meters and 60-70 oz . I recommend 140 in oz at the min for pitcheron two meter.
Cheers
How about (2) HS 5645MG that has 143 in-oz at 4.8V and 168 In-Oz. at 6.0V? They were on Amazon at $39.36.
Hitec no longer makes this on, so it is discontinued, thus the low price.

Tom f.
Last edited by TomFlyer; Nov 18, 2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: More information

Quick Reply