Oct 20, 2019, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
I like the hatch air-brake system. That solves one of the biggest turn offs I've had with pitcheron gliders. You no longer have to do a 2 mile approach.

What kind of pitch tendencies does it induce?
My past slopers that have had Doc's TTTGU canopy air break did not make any change in pitch. You wold think that it would pitch upward., which is better than down for landing. We will see what this one does on landing.

Tom f.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 02:53 PM
Yes, ALL your money...

Tttgu

I've had a few TWF planes equipped with some sort of TTTGU, and I would be hard pressed to NOT have one. they are effective, (enough) and show pretty much NO pitch change when deployed. If anything there may be a slight pitch down with a BIG canopy brake, like the Vector 2. But that's still hardly discernible. Even though I can easily add pitch comp on my fancy-pants computer radio, I haven't felt the need.
One thing that I DO employ is pre-designated pitch and roll rates when landing lode is invoked. That way you have the right rates everytime for landing.

What you notice first is that it DOSN'T upset the glide path much, compared to flaps and crow spoilerons. Then you realize that it's just flying slower, and sinking better. There is no wildly different handling. Another bonus is that if you paint the canopy a bright color, you get better visibility when head-on, like on final approach.

Most folks deploy flaps/crow only on final approach.
I use TTTGU differently than flaps-crow braking. I have mine on a 2 position switch, either up or down. I pop the spoiler long before I make my downwind turn, and let the plane settle into "draggy mode", and leave it up until touchdown.
I also slow the servo speed down to just about 1 second to deploy, and about half that to close. This saves servo gears.

Hope this helps, sorry for the slight detour

WinchDoc
Oct 20, 2019, 04:46 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thanks guys for the responses about TTTGU.

I'm very interested in this type of system.

It seems to be an extremely effective way to add air-brakes to a glider without flaps or spoilers.

I might have to try this on a future build.
Oct 20, 2019, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
Great info Doc.
Tom f.
Oct 23, 2019, 05:02 PM
Thread OP

Name Graphic Added

Almost done. Over the rattle can paint job and graphics, I want to apply a coat of clear 2 part epoxy finish. This will seal the stick on letters and give a more durable finish. Then I can balance this bird.

Tom f.
Oct 23, 2019, 08:28 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Looks really fast Tom. I can't wait to see it fly.
Oct 24, 2019, 04:08 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Looks very clean and sweet! Remind me, what airfoil and span?
Oct 24, 2019, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc
Doc, two meter with 6062 root foil and 6063 tip foil and will be very slippery at a light weight and lift really good too! It will be a frequent flier.😜
Oct 25, 2019, 10:46 AM
Blind Hawk
Best of luck with the maiden, looking forward to the flight report.

My V Max build from last winter maidened and flew fantastic at Blanco last month, it is a blast!

Rj
Oct 25, 2019, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc
Hay Doc: What Joe said and the airfoil is pretty thin at 6.7% the camber is only 1.6%. Correct me if I am wrong Joe, but that is what I am remembering at this moment. The wing rod is at 2.5" back from the LE at the root, which I calculate to be 32.26% of the average chord (7.25 root, 4.375" tip. 1.25" sweep).

Tom f.
Oct 25, 2019, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
Best of luck with the maiden, looking forward to the flight report.

My V Max build from last winter maidened and flew fantastic at Blanco last month, it is a blast!

Rj
Thanks and yours looks sweet. Thanks for posting the in flight pic. How about some close up pic's?

Tom f.
Oct 25, 2019, 02:35 PM
Blind Hawk
Funny you should ask, the only picts I have are the ones Tom Leach took of the maiden! Thanks again for those Tom.

It's built pretty much to original plan with a big "except" that I put rudervators on the V tail. It's my first twisty and I'd heard stories about these being a handful to land, thought the elevator control might just help that. Have a "mode" switch set up so can fly pitcheron only or wingeron with rudervators. Seemed to help.

Also did a pop up canopy like Winch Doc's, a friend 3D printed a part that worked great.

Rj
Oct 25, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
Rudervador V- TAIL? U should show us how you did that in the skinny tail boom of the V-max.

Tom f.
Oct 25, 2019, 05:14 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
I got to fly RJ's plane at Blanco. I flew it mostly in pitcheron mode, but he switched modes (in flight) and I got to have a live rudder! It flew very smooth, and I resisted the urge to wring it out.
WinchDoc

I like big rudders and I cannot lie...
Oct 25, 2019, 09:28 PM
Blind Hawk
I'll dig it out over the next couple days and take some picts. There is some question if it's a V Max fuse or not......... From the drawing I have it sure looks like it, Doc thought not. In any case it wasn't that tough to get the control rods to the tail.

Not trying to hijack your thread Tom, but glad to share what I did.

Rj

Quick Reply