Sep 17, 2019, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

V-max

I have had a set or Winch Doc Bling twist wing hardware for a couple of years wondering which slope plane to put it in. When Doc looked at it and took a few measurements, he said; "That would work fit nicely in a Joe C. V-max fuse." So I got in touch with Joe and he was kind enough to traded a Vindicator kit for a V-Max kit. The wing cores came with the brass tubs already installed along with the root rib and sub rib. I also traded some wing work that I did for Doc for installing the Bling hardware and a CNC cut servo tray. For a little extra, Doc put in a TTGU canopy hinge. After all this horse trading, I figured I should get-r-done.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 09:04 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Looking good Tom,

Can't wait to see it fly.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:24 PM
Fly Safe and Check 6
Nice work, Tom!
Sep 18, 2019, 11:46 AM
Looking fantastic Tom!!
Go Tom Go!!!
Keep up the great work!!
Sep 23, 2019, 06:52 PM
Wow, Tom, nice idea using those "stretchers"!
Sep 23, 2019, 07:10 PM
Firecracker!
Looking good! For “weak” colors like yellow and orange, it helps to put about 3 coats of color, then 2 coats of white on the mylar. The white covers much better and will make the top color really pop.
Sep 26, 2019, 10:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillO
Looking good! For “weak” colors like yellow and orange, it helps to put about 3 coats of color, then 2 coats of white on the mylar. The white covers much better and will make the top color really pop.
Thank you for the "tip" . I will use that next time for sure.

Tom f.
Sep 26, 2019, 06:11 PM
Thread OP

V-tail work

Working on the V-tail fit-up to the fuse. I added a second layer of 1/8" balsa to the V-tail base before bagging so that I would have something to sand to shape of the fuse for a nicer fit than the square end of the V-tail against the curved fuse.

Tom f.
Sep 26, 2019, 10:48 PM

Stab

Tom, I build the stab in one piece with a 3/4 balsa root rib between the two foam stabs with aluminum tubes glued in place. Bag the stab then cut the stab in half then cut 1/8 of the 3/8 off the stab which has tubes in it and slide it on the fuse wires and glue it to the fuse. Pics show the rest
Sep 26, 2019, 10:50 PM
bad pics but you should get my drift
Sep 27, 2019, 03:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemach1
bad pics but you should get my drift
Joe: thank you for sending me the pics. I can still do the V-tail similar to how you did in the pictures. I just need to use a thin blade in cutting off the bottom 3/8" of each stab half.

Tom f.
Last edited by TomFlyer; Oct 18, 2019 at 03:44 PM.
Sep 27, 2019, 06:45 AM
1/8” is all I cut off each stab to create the fuse rib and I used a scroll saw that is very thin
Sep 27, 2019, 02:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemach1
1/8” is all I cut off each stab to create the fuse rib and I used a scroll saw that is very thin
Joe, I may need to do something a little different. If I cut the fin to have a stub on the fuse, I would need to face the foam, which would not be that hard, just time consuming and these mating balsa ribs would not under the composite skins. So, I am thinking of a 3 inch long tapered balsa dowel filling the boom and the cut of the wire going into the balsa plug for the cantilever connection needed for the V-tail wires.

Stayed tuned

Tom f.
Sep 27, 2019, 06:01 PM
To do this method it needs to start in prepping the cores so that you have material attached to each side After you bag and cut in half. Then there is enough balsa at the root to cut 1/8” off and use it as the base on the fuse. Next time Tom

Quick Reply