Thread Tools
Feb 17, 2020, 10:30 PM
Registered User
So, I have been slowly reading through this thread (not done yet or I wouldn't likely be asking this) but how does it really compare long term to the LC Racing EMB-1?

I did not know the EMB-1 existed until seeing this thread, and now I want one! The EMB with its brushless setup might actually be more car than I "need" to just bash around. But does this one hold up out of the box without too many mods? For only $80 more, should I just go with the LC Racing one?

How parts compatible are these? Is the WL one basically a part to part clone?

I really am leaning towards the LC Racing guy. Apparently it is actually made by Schumacher. Or something. Who knows.

In reference I have a Losi Mini-T. As good as everyone says it is, in only 5-10 runs I spat a driveshaft and then proceeded to explode 3 tires trying to figure out why it was acting crazy. I am not too thrilled with the quality for the price. I have a WPL crawler, and for the $40 I paid for it I am BLOWN away by its quality! My point is if that $80 additional gets me a car that I am not upgrading broken bits left and right, and spending $100, I am willing to get the "better" version. But more expensive does NOT always mean more value.

EDIT: And on the next page I found FrancoRC's side by side comparison video. I am defiantly leaning towards the LC Racing Kit version.
Last edited by BiggsDarkLighter; Feb 17, 2020 at 10:45 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2020, 11:28 PM
Registered User
How much is the EMB-1?
Probably better to just buy Team Associated's 1/4 BL buggy.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...01p?I=ASCD9075
Feb 18, 2020, 10:16 PM
Registered User
The LC-Racing EMB-1 is also $179-2ish, depending on where you find it. While the Associated looks similar (is it yet another version?!), the EMB-1 wins out for me. Why? It is a kit. The LC-Racing kit comes with 3 pair of swaybars, nice shocks, and a few other cool extras (above the RTR) it seems.
Feb 19, 2020, 11:18 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
So, I have been slowly reading through this thread (not done yet or I wouldn't likely be asking this) but how does it really compare long term to the LC Racing EMB-1?

I did not know the EMB-1 existed until seeing this thread, and now I want one! The EMB with its brushless setup might actually be more car than I "need" to just bash around. But does this one hold up out of the box without too many mods? For only $80 more, should I just go with the LC Racing one?

How parts compatible are these? Is the WL one basically a part to part clone?

I really am leaning towards the LC Racing guy. Apparently it is actually made by Schumacher. Or something. Who knows.

From having both the LC EMB for many years, and still loving it, and recently having purchased a 144001, I'd say, get the LC if you can afford it. The WL Toys is a lot of value for money, and performs well, but they did cut a few corners, and added a lot of weight with the big brushed motor. The LC feels more nimble and handles really well imho.

Afaik Schumacher doesn't make the LC cars, but is the dealer for the UK. I do feel both brands are similar in refinement and attention to detail, which is probably why Schumacher decided to carry this brand.

As for parts, some are compatible, some look similar, but not a direct drop in replacement. What I do like a lot about the 144001 is the shell being a bit more "roomy" inside, easier to mount the electronics, wiring and still have good clearance from the inside of the body shell.


Btw, still waiting for my refund for the twitchy servo on the 144001. I thought they had issued a refund, but later turned out to be compensation for excessive waiting time for another order that was supposed to be in stock. I could then keep the item and get a refund, but before that happened, the order was canceled, and an automatic refund of the full amount was sent. But that left me still with the 144001 steering problem, which just required a new servo, which I had ordered already, expecting the promised refund. Now they want me to send the car back at my own expenses, and get a full refund. But the return shipping cost is more than I paid for the replacement servo. Plus it will probably take over a month to get the item returned, processed, etc, and maybe even longer now, with that virus situation slowing things down even more. Already felt BG customer service had gone downhill the past year, but it seems this continues even further. You can't demand from a customer to pay for returning a broken item, and let the customer take all consequences for that, no matter what the company policy. Maybe if you decide you no longer want the item, and wish to return it, even though the item is fully ok. But not for items with a defect, especially not when the fix is far cheaper than the money and effort spent on returning and processing the return.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 19, 2020, 12:48 PM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
BiggsDarkLighter, one part I know isn't the same is the rear gearbox housing. The WLToys one is longer where the centre drive shaft connects. The suspension arms,metal drive shafts,C hubs etc are exactly the same as the LC Racing parts
Feb 19, 2020, 12:57 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
BiggsDarkLighter, one part I know isn't the same is the rear gearbox housing. The WLToys one is longer where the centre drive shaft connects. The suspension arms,metal drive shafts,C hubs etc are exactly the same as the LC Racing parts

Slight correction, the suspension arms lack the holes for the droop limit screws, and a bit of extra material around where these holes should be. It's possible to drill new holes, but the droop limit screws will have less "flesh" to hold onto. Though the forces on those are probably limited. I also understand the Wl Toys plastic is a bit more flexible, at least that's what I heard, and seems to feel that way too. Not that this is worse, it might even be more durable, but not the same, more like compatible.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 20, 2020, 11:01 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Slight correction, the suspension arms lack the holes for the droop limit screws, and a bit of extra material around where these holes should be. It's possible to drill new holes, but the droop limit screws will have less "flesh" to hold onto. Though the forces on those are probably limited. I also understand the Wl Toys plastic is a bit more flexible, at least that's what I heard, and seems to feel that way too. Not that this is worse, it might even be more durable, but not the same, more like compatible.
Both of my 144001's have pre-drilled holes on all the a-arms for droop limit screws and all pictures I see of the 144001 a-arms for sale show these holes already there so I am a bit confused as to why you do not have them, they also have the holes already to install the LC racing sway bars
Feb 21, 2020, 01:45 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinsum
Both of my 144001's have pre-drilled holes on all the a-arms for droop limit screws and all pictures I see of the 144001 a-arms for sale show these holes already there so I am a bit confused as to why you do not have them, they also have the holes already to install the LC racing sway bars

They must have cut that change into production then, my 144001 definitely came with rear A-arms only having a marker roughly on the spot where the holes should have been, but no holes. The front arms did have the holes already.


Btw, BG suddenly came through with the refund for the twitchy servo. Either they are still reading here, despite no longer having a vendor subforum, or they just realized that it was the right thing to do.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 21, 2020, 06:44 AM
Registered User
I have three 144001 cars + 1 set of spare A-arms & all have the holes drilled for droop limit screws.
Feb 21, 2020, 12:25 PM
Registered User
I think only the early batches were without holes. I got mine in November and it had all the holes. Some random coarse-thread screws I had worked a charm to set the droop. I love this little thing.
Feb 21, 2020, 03:17 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenator128
I think only the early batches were without holes. I got mine in November and it had all the holes. Some random coarse-thread screws I had worked a charm to set the droop. I love this little thing.
Can i ask what you set the underneath of the chassis to front & rear with the droop screws added. Thank you.
Feb 21, 2020, 04:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh50
Can i ask what you set the underneath of the chassis to front & rear with the droop screws added. Thank you.
I didn't actually measure that, sorry. I just put the arms a touch below parallel so they only droop a few degrees past the same plane as the chassis.
Feb 22, 2020, 01:58 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
From having both the LC EMB for many years, and still loving it, and recently having purchased a 144001, I'd say, get the LC if you can afford it. ....
Affordability is, relative. The WL Toys one I can grab with pocket change now. The LC Racing one is mostly pocket change, but needs some extra snuck out of a paycheck. I can't just impulse buy it. But if that $200 gets me a car that I put together and don't have to fix every 3 minutes of run time, I am happy! It is money well spent and the wait now, well worth not having a broken car when I am out.

I had been on the fence about just repairing my Losi Mini 8ight-T or buying something else. I have gotten zero satisfaction from the Losi though. I found some comparisons between the WL Toys, the LC Racing, and the Losi. It seems that especially over the Losi, the LC Racing EMB-1 wins out hands down.

Next paycheck should be a good one. I will be grabbing the EMB-1 for sure. I am super excited for a car with upgrade options, but basically needs nothing out of the box. And actually it already comes with a bunch of upgrade bits, it can be gotten in kit form, and the kit form includes some extra tuning bits.

Thanks for the responses guys! I am stoked to try it out. Might even have to turn the back yard into a track...
Feb 22, 2020, 02:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
...

I had been on the fence about just repairing my Losi Mini 8ight-T or buying something else. I have gotten zero satisfaction from the Losi though. I found some comparisons between the WL Toys, the LC Racing, and the Losi. It seems that especially over the Losi, the LC Racing EMB-1 wins out hands down.

...
Do you have a Mini-T or the Mini-8T? I thought you said T earlier but it could easily be a typo with their ingenious naming scheme.

This 144001 and the EMB-1 are more similar to the regular Mini-8, (not the T or 8T), though LC does have a mini truggy that's very similar to the M8T.
Feb 24, 2020, 04:55 AM
I'm man like flight as a bird
ONCLEFLY's Avatar

Bad tires/rims


I don't like the tires/rims of this car, it reasq too much the bad grip.

I'm loocking for other tires/trims for this car, can you give me a good link that fit perfectly and have good grip for the ground is on the road. thank you.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Wltoys K939 1/10 4WD 2.4G Pstar Off-road Cars 19 Jul 05, 2017 04:43 PM
New Product WLtoys 24438 1/24 2.4G 4WD Rock Crawler RC Car Whitehouse Car Talk 1 Sep 03, 2016 06:10 AM