Sep 17, 2019, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Blade 120 S, Beginner advice needed

I fly fixed wing, both power and glider. I am looking for a helicopter for winter indoor flying and taking camping in the summer. I do not fly 3D and I am not really looking for a 3D helicopter. Most of my planes have SAFE and I really appreciate having the option. It came in handy as I was learning to fly again after a 30 year break.

I know the 120S is fixed pitch, has brushed motors and uses 1S batteries. That is fine has long as the helicopter works well, is easy to fly, and economical to operate - does not crash a lot.

I can not find much about the 120S on You Tube or in the forums. What little I am finding are mixed reviews.

Any input is welcome.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 03:56 PM
The 120s don't fly all that great. If you want a fixed pitch then get a blade 70. Better yet, get a 230s V2.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:06 AM
Is what I'm doing helping?
If took me far too long to figure out, but if you like scale flight CP's are the way to go.

FP's are great for learning orientation, but when a stiff breeze comes along. your bird rises like a balloon unless you have supernatural throttle control.

I could never cut the throttle fast enough.

Indoors it's a different world, and even cheap birds like the V911 will be a blast.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Steve, scale flight is what I am looking for. If I buy a CP helicopter, it has to be under 250 grams which includes the battery. In Canada, the strict laws around our hobby start at 250 grams. I am also interested in simplicity. I read the Blade 150S owners manual and the advanced setup is mind boggling. The Nano S2 might be too small, the 130S has mixed reviews and the 150S is about as large as I can go.

I might go with the 150S, and I hope that by using a basic set-up, it will be what I want. Reliable and simple.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:53 PM
If you have a Spektrum TX and want something bigger ... 150s seems your best bet under 250g. I think following the user manual is good enough to start with and I think HH would cover Canada for product support? And I think great guys/ladies in RCG might be of some help to you too.

Latest release of mCPX BL V2 may be viable option too although there is no solid comment on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 20, 2019, 09:25 AM
Is what I'm doing helping?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMP View Post
Steve, scale flight is what I am looking for. If I buy a CP helicopter, it has to be under 250 grams which includes the battery. In Canada, the strict laws around our hobby start at 250 grams. I am also interested in simplicity. I read the Blade 150S owners manual and the advanced setup is mind boggling. The Nano S2 might be too small, the 130S has mixed reviews and the 150S is about as large as I can go.

I might go with the 150S, and I hope that by using a basic set-up, it will be what I want. Reliable and simple.
Agreed, it's not simple, but that's a good thing since it keeps the goofballs away.
Keep reading, and learn as much as you can before risking your hard earned money.
Once you learn the terminology and "what does what" it will all fall into place.

The Blade 150S was designed as a 3D machine, which means it will should do incredibly precise scale flight once you are ready to
explore the capabilities of your virtually unlimited setup options.
(In other words, mess around with your pitch curves, head speed, rates and expo.)
Sep 20, 2019, 09:12 PM
I've been practising on Real Flight 8 for quite a few months learning collective pitch, it's been a frustrating journey to say the least. I would invest in a Simulator (such as Real Flight) if you want to learn CP. I own the 120s, the last flight I had was last October, using SAFE. In no wind (or very very light wind) it flies quite well. However, when you turn safe off flying Fixed Pitch or CP is quite different than when using SAFE. Also, as others have said, FP become unruly in light winds. If you plan to get into CP helis, invest in a simulator and learn how to fly them without the 'electronic training wheels' (SAFE).
Sep 29, 2019, 02:28 PM
gotta agree with above...the 70s is a great starter. your fixed wing experience is more of a liability than you realize. the 70s is fixed pitch too but the radio is set up just like a larger heli and it's light weight is a huge plus. if you can hover and drive the 70s around, then consider a 230V2 and hopefully you have a transmitter that is compatible.
Oct 06, 2019, 12:03 PM
With today’s modern transmitters (programmable throttle and pitch curves) and CP Helis with self leveling modes, why get a FP Heli? The only advantage a FP Heli has is it is mechanically more simple. You will out grow the FP Heli in a short time.
Oct 21, 2019, 10:40 PM
Yeah, get a blade 230s v2 thats the most stable and flys like its on rails. The 120 wanders all over the place and is extremely sensitive in even light winds. The 120 is cheap but the nano s2 is better if you want a smaller cheap, crashproof heli.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:41 PM
I recently did a review of the 120s with some flight video. Check it out!

The 230S may be my next helicopter!

Blade 120S Flybarless Helicopter RC Fun Review Unboxing RC Fun Flight (19 min 58 sec)
Oct 29, 2019, 11:49 PM
I just read alot of reviews about the new blade 150s and its supposed to fly as good as the 230s v2. Its only a little bigger than the 120 so you can fly it indoors (and outdoors) plus its brushless and carbon fiber frame. It does cost around $200. I just ordered one for flying indoors this winter.
Oct 30, 2019, 11:50 AM
i think a 120s is about as large and powerful as anyone would want to go indoors while in the beginning stages of learning .. and it actually flies amazingly well and stable .. a 70s might be a good option to but its awfully small lol, ive never flown that one, but no, imo a 120 is a good starting heli, ive been flying for years, do basic 3d fairly well and i like the 120 enough to own one ..
Oct 30, 2019, 03:25 PM
Yeah, the 120s is good for learning but the nano s2 is better in my opinion. Neither holds a candle to the 230s v2 when it comes to stability and holding a line while flying.
Nov 01, 2019, 11:21 AM
Update: My 120s flew so bad outdoors (the nano s2 is less affected by wind despite being smaller) that I never flew it indoors. To be fair, today I tried flying my 120s inside a 4 car garage with 3 spaces open that I fly my nano s2 in regularly (in 2 spaces). It did ok for about 10 seconds then wandered into the side of the garage and crashed. Now it no longer flies- it will lift and spin around in circles (uncontrollably) but thats it. And I'm not going to try to fix it. I must reiterate that even for beginners the nano s2 is a better heli. The 120 might be ok in a large gym where it can wander all over the place but its no good in a garage thats for sure. And it takes serious damage from minor crashes that won't even scratch a nano s2.
Last edited by Mortimerex; Nov 01, 2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added "uncontrollably"

Quick Reply