Sep 17, 2019, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

LOS:awesome, FPV:pathetic

Can the experts out there (or even those that slept at a Holiday Inn) help me with my problem? I have been flying a US65 quad around the house and yard for awhile now. I have no problem with line-of-sight, shooting gaps, sharp turns, maintaining solid hover. Tune on the quad seems great. But the minute I put on the googles, I have trouble. Can't maintain a solid hover, can't correct drift to save my life, and might as well forget shooting any gaps. I'm using the FXT Viper goggles and am quite pleased with the video. Do you try to keep a point of reference in the goggles when flying? What's the secret? I stink at this....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 04:36 PM
One thing I found with FPV is that you need to always be moving forward so that you see where you are going. And yes it's way different to master than LOS - not harder but different.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:10 PM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer
FPV is rather scary indoors. Take it outside and fly around 80+ acres and it is a wonderful thing
Sep 17, 2019, 07:29 PM
fly by night
indoors is great for honing quad racing skills though. and useful skills to have for those who live where the climate outside is not good for flying

for the OP: just need more time spent flying, practicing.

I suck at LOS flying, cause I hardly do it. But love doing all the aerobatics, gaps, long range cruising that can't be done via LOS. Only thing is I am doing some DLG flying on the side via LOS and have to work on my LOS skills .. with more time.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:59 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Brain need re-programing. Its like learning how to ride a bicycle again.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:58 PM
Indoor FPV requires more precision flying due to the tight spaces. It hones your skills to fly indoors for sure. I like to go under stuff like chairs and tables to work on my altitude and position control. I do freestyle outside but there you have a large space to work in and you don't have to be very precise with altitude control.
Sep 17, 2019, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Our club flies indoors at a school gym in the winter and it is a lot easier there since I am constantly moving forward and have lots of space. The minute I have to slow down and get thru a tight space or hover while lining up a gap is when I get in trouble and start wandering all over hell. I hope to have that "A-Ha" moment one of these days like I did when first learning to fly RC planes.
Sep 18, 2019, 08:35 AM
You will have that "A-Ha" moment with FPV too. My advice is always be moving forward even if it's just a bit. Practice altitude control by flying very low and set up some things to fly under. Last winter, we set up some gates inside and practiced flying around the house through some gates with our Tiny Hawks.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:13 AM
Get good noob!
Sep 18, 2019, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuiperJ
Get good noob!
Best advice yet......
Sep 18, 2019, 10:13 AM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly
Can the experts out there (or even those that slept at a Holiday Inn) help me with my problem? I have been flying a US65 quad around the house and yard for awhile now. I have no problem with line-of-sight, shooting gaps, sharp turns, maintaining solid hover. Tune on the quad seems great. But the minute I put on the googles, I have trouble. Can't maintain a solid hover, can't correct drift to save my life, and might as well forget shooting any gaps. I'm using the FXT Viper goggles and am quite pleased with the video. Do you try to keep a point of reference in the goggles when flying? What's the secret? I stink at this....
It takes practice. Lots of it.

When you start with FPV - try moving forward slowly, while using only yaw to navigate.

Get use to that. Then start working roll into your efforts.

The throttle requires lots of practice too - staying level without bobbing up and down. If there's a way to add expo to the throttle - or just to lower it's top end - that might help too.

You got to get use to the lag too - with FPV - since you cannot see the craft directly, there's a lag in visual response to your control inputs, when flying FPV.

Quick Reply