Sep 17, 2019, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

planeprint.com Zlin Savage Bobber

This plane was released a few weeks back and I jumped on buying the files. For starters, this plane is modeled differently than any other one that I have printed. I have done for the 3Dlabprint planes as well as Eclison models. This one is modeled with all surfaces, and subsequently, the wing panels and surfaces will only be able to get sliced in Cura. With that said, I dove in with my prusa Mk3 over the last week and was able to get some good looking parts. It was a bit frustrating as I don't prefer to use Cura but I was able to get it tuned in finally.

The plane is a 900mm wingspan so its smaller for a printed plane. Printed weight is supposed to be around 270g which is awesome. That makes this like a $5 plane in material costs. The scale detail on this plane rivals any 3d printed plane I've made so far. The designer did an awesome job hiding most of the electrics and really nailed the details of the real plane. This is also a 5 channel plane which is awesome for its size. A few more cool features is a steerable tail wheel, TPU hinges, and functional cub style landing gear.

Due to its size, it does require what i would consider to be smaller than standard electronics. Normal 9g servos will not fit in the wing. They do source parts in the manual but it was designed in Europe so finding some of the parts in the US were hard. I'm going to try a park 300 size motor with a 12a esc and 5g servos. I should have all the electronics to finish it by the weekend. Plan is to fly on a smaller 3s pack.

I am also working on a motor mount adapter to accept a 2200kv mini quad motor and see how that does.

Attached are some photos of where the plane is at right now. Will update once I get the plane finished later this week.

Justin
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 03:00 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Amazing project!

The fuse structure was also 3D printed?
Sep 17, 2019, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
yeah! The whole rear section is built like a balsa plane but instead of balsa sticks its 3D printed "sticks". They include a jig in the plans to help hold it together while gluing. Its VERY strong once all together. It really surprised me!
Sep 17, 2019, 03:04 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Well,

I think Ill have one Savage Bobber in the near future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSS10B
yeah! The whole rear section is built like a balsa plane but instead of balsa sticks its 3D printed "sticks". They include a jig in the plans to help hold it together while gluing. Its VERY strong once all together. It really surprised me!
Oct 04, 2019, 06:38 PM
Lost in the Sky
Link to the Planeprint site: https://www.planeprint.com/

Many pictures as well as extra detail parts files and the construction manual.
Oct 05, 2019, 01:02 PM
sorry, wrong thread.
Oct 13, 2019, 11:17 AM

Does it work with the MK3?

Thanks for the post! I just bought the files and can't wait to start printing. Were you able to print the PIM_FUSELAGE_p2 and the PIM_WING-OUTSIDE_p3 on your Prusa mk3? Looks like it exceeds the build volume.
Oct 14, 2019, 02:56 AM
it works, but its difficult to find the right settings in CURA
Oct 14, 2019, 05:34 AM
Thread OP
Yeah it all fits on a prusa mk3 just fine. I did send them my cura profile for the wings as it took quite a while to get it tuned in.
Oct 16, 2019, 09:46 AM
Could someone that already had printed the plane share de Cura profiles with us?
I don't have any previous experience with Cura, and the frustration is getting higher every day.
Oct 16, 2019, 10:08 AM
Retired CAD guy
So you are saying that the provided STL's will NOT work in Simplify3d v4.2 ?

If I could get a small partial sample I'd like to try to verify that claim.

Like is there a test part on Thingi et al ?

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service

NEH - VER - MIND I rememberd the "free Parts' right after I hit Post ... duhhh

Further I don't see a problem with these FREE parts.

Using Infill and in one case merge all to solid ( the frame ) I'm not concerned.

Hmmm ???

Who's got a sample that will "break" S3d ?
Last edited by birdofplay; Oct 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Oct 22, 2019, 04:54 AM
I'm printing one of these right now and I think it will be a fun little airplane. The Cura profiles are working out just fine. However, there was one or two head-scratchers for me.

One was the setting recommendation for: "Union Overlapping Volumes NOT hooked". What is "hooked"? It took me a while to realize that they were saying that the box should be UNCHECKED. Duh......... I got it now.

Then after seeing at least one model with seats, I spent some time on Thingiverse collecting various hot-rod and boat seats which I planned to scale and print. Then I stumbled across the "Free Tuning Parts" (whatever that means) on the PlanePrint site. Sure enough, there was the STL files for seats, sticks, as well as some landing gear components. Happy days.
Oct 22, 2019, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgepi
Could someone that already had printed the plane share de Cura profiles with us?
I don't have any previous experience with Cura, and the frustration is getting higher every day.
I'm getting good results on my Creality 10s Pro using the PlanePrint recommended settings. Of course I use more retraction because my printer uses a Bowden feed for the extruder, but other than that the factory settings work great with the latest version of Cura.

What exactly is the cause of your frustration?
Oct 22, 2019, 01:30 PM

Stringing and blobs on the wings

Hi Mozella,

I am using the recommended settings in Cura but I am still getting strings and blobs on the outer wings...
Can you please share your cura settings?I have a CR20 pro and I am having string and blob problems on the wings as well, thanks..
Oct 22, 2019, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckuz
Hi Mozella,

I am using the recommended settings in Cura but I am still getting strings and blobs on the outer wings...
Can you please share your cura settings?I have a CR20 pro and I am having string and blob problems on the wings as well, thanks..
As I said, I'm using the PlanePrint settings except for retraction which I have set at 10 for distance, 60 for speed, and 0.2 for retraction extra prime amount. I'm using eSUN PLA Pro, which is a "toughened" PLA. I find it very good for almost everything. It isn't brittle like regular PLA and seems to be much stronger too. The eSUN product prints at a higher temperature and for these thin walled prints, it likes even higher temps. I'm using 245 for the nozzle and 50 for the bed temp.

Quick Reply