Sep 17, 2019, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobbyking Jetstar 64mm 11-Blade 800mm PNF

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/jetstar-pnp.html

Just stumbled upon this on their website. Is it new, or a re-release of something older? Doesn’t look too bad, takes 4S 2200s, etc..
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 03:54 PM
good find - it's the Top RC, with the new fan, here reviewed by Arctic RC

TopRc Hobby Jetstar Pro - Flight Review (7 min 46 sec)
Sep 17, 2019, 05:29 PM
Oh THIS is the "SOMETHING BIG" in HK email alert.

Not sure what does "THRUST RATE 1:1.2" mean. Flying weight at ~1 kg, so thrust of 1.2 kg, or the other way around at 0.8 kg thrust?

Nice looking, having the H stab of Viper. Looks like a nice EDF for relaxed flight.
Sep 18, 2019, 12:32 AM

and now for the HK video

H-King Jetstar 64mm 11-Blade EDF Jet 800mm PnF - HobbyKing Super Daily (2 min 18 sec)
Sep 18, 2019, 06:03 AM
Thread OP
Hmmm.... Tempted. %10 off with FBCKC8UFB.

I just ordered the E-flite F-15 though.....

The F-15 looks better, but I think I'd prefer this because it has rudder. Hmm...
Sep 18, 2019, 09:21 AM
Is there video for handlaunch? Grass takeoff took a bit too long to get airborne though.
Sep 20, 2019, 01:27 AM
Thread OP
So, I was feeling the urge to order it, but decided to go and just watch the TopRC video. Man, to me a sleek jet with fixed gear hanging down is like a hot girl with a goatee. Just can't look past it. Hideous...

Anyway, a couple observations/questions: one, the TopRC video is new. I guess it's a V2. But they advertise it with a 12-blade fan, whereas the HK one has an 11-blade fan. What is that likely to mean(given all the rebranding in RC etc..)?? I'm totally new to EDFs.. Looks like the motor and ESC are probably the same... Also, why does this plane need a 60a ESC when the Force RC F-16 and (I believe) E-flite F-15 have 40a ESCs? I mean I would replace any Horizon ESC before ever using them anyway - just curious though.. Is the HK setup more power hungry - and therefore maybe faster, or what?

Thanks..

ps I normally would never buy a new ("new") unproven model til it has been out a while and any gremlins and solutions emerge. But at €105 shipped with the discount it's pretty tempting... OK €110 once Paypal gets its slimeball cut....
Sep 20, 2019, 05:58 AM
The price was right so I just ordered one. I was looking for something pretty cheap to practice landings with EDFs as I am pretty new to EDFs as this looks perfect. I am pretty excited to get.
Oct 08, 2019, 11:29 AM
NSS
NSS
Mine arrived today.
Has any one else looked at the instructions and read how the little wood vertical stabiliser is supposed to hold the ally bar from rotating and changing the angle of the horizontal stabiliser?

" Ensure the rear plywood tongue engages securely with the flat on the horizontal stabiliser joining rod, this stops the rod twisting. "

On mine the plywood tongue is at least 3mm short of making contact.

The ally bar I guess is a throwback from the Top RC version which had an all moving tailplane.

Come on Hobbyking. How do these pass QA.

Other than that it looks like a nice toy.
Oct 08, 2019, 12:07 PM
NSS
NSS
I want to put the ailerons on separate channels, but it is going to be near impossible to feed an extension lead the way the internals are moulded. I just tried pulling one through attached to the fitted totally inadequate Y lead as supplied. But there is so little room I fear the worst.

I shall update my progress once done.
Today, 11:53 AM

Jet Star 64mm

Just maiden my 4s Jet Star using a Nanotech 2200 45-90c.
It lept off our grass runway after only a 50ft roll and climbed out straight up!
Flys very stable and strong. Battery came back at 3.75volts slightly warm after three and a half minutes. The 60 amp ESC did not overheat with mixed throttle, (mostly wide open).
Flys fast with unlimited vertical but slows down nicely for uneventful landings. This was my first edf flight and Iíll admit I was a little nervous cause I didnít now what to expect, but the model flys great!
The magnets that hold the wings on allowed the wings to pop away from the fuselage on every landing so I just glued them on permanently.
The servo wire to the rudder and nose gear servos was too short so an extension was added. The battery only fit in the tray one way but the cg worked out fine. The older version had full flying stabs, and assorted hardware which this model still has and the tail surface mounting system needed to be modified to work, I just epoxied everything on after a little trim work to the vertical stab. Mine did not come with any instructions or setup manual, I noticed that the elevator did not have sufficient throw so I moved the pushrods out two holes on the servo arm.
A friend at the field commented that the model seemed much better as far as power and performance than the older 3s version.
Overall impressed with this little plane after straightening out its assembly shortcomings.

Quick Reply