Sep 17, 2019, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Kit # 2002 B-17 Flying Fortress RC Conversion

Hi all,
I am having trouble getting my blog going. I am building a Guillows B-17 Flying Fortress (Kit # 2002). I plan to convert it to RC.

I have not heard anything from anyone. Iím hoping to hear from you all, and am looking forward to learning a thing or two from you all.

The link to my RC Group Blog is as follows:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=798195

It is a bit strange, I see a lot of views but get no responses.

I hope to get this figured out but will need some help!

v/r

-CaptJK
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 02:30 PM
I’m no expert, but since its planked you may need to get a weight with the servos and rx in it, maybe even with covering and paint
That way the power experts can give you some hints on what motors you will need
It will probably fly like a racer with the extra weight of the planked fuselage.
Sep 18, 2019, 02:39 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Capt, it has been my experience that folks don't respond on blogs, whereas they are much more prolific on a build log. I have no idea why this is but it seems to be the case. Try starting a build log and see if that gets you more responses.

Tony
Sep 18, 2019, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
Jonquinn,
Iíve got time and would consider that. My goal is to learn from everyone through interaction via the blog.

I experienced an injury requiring surgery, and this model has been something that has helped to regain fine motor skills. Iím having fun with it, put a lot of these together as a kid.

My idea is to plank the leading and trailing edges of the wings as well. A lot of weight was sanded off with the fuselage post planking. Iíve been reading a lot of the B-17 build logs and have created my ďbuild planĒ learning from their successes.

Itís been fun, sort of like detective work. It doesnít beat interaction though.

My goal is to set it up to fly, but moreso to learn about the electronic set up. This model might look too nice in the basement bar to fly.

I am not an experienced RC flyer, but would like to learn. I would chose to fly something much easier. A Guillows RC conversion project made to fly would be down the road for me.
Sep 18, 2019, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
TPfinkston,
How do I set one up?
Sep 18, 2019, 03:57 PM
Or current resident
I converted this one to RC over 10 years ago.
I would advise against planking unless you use very light wood and sand most of it off. There is a lot of wood in this one and the kit wood usually isn't the lightest either.
Keep in mind the model will have to carry 4 motors and 4 speed controllers plus enough battery to power them all. Not saying it won't fly, but it will have to fly more like a Reno racer than a bomber.
So your choice, it'll fly either way. Heavy and power to suit. End up with a model that must fly fast to stay in the air. Result is a high stall speed and landings that can be 'interesting'. Cut the throttle and it'll drop like a stone. Not a beginner plane at all!
Build as light as possible and have a decent flying model that is easier to fly and land.

I hand cut all the parts out of 6lb wood, covered in lightweight covering sprayed silver. Power was 4 GWS IPS, A ratio spinning 5x4.3 props on a 2s 800 lipo. Ready to fly weight of 21 oz and it flies pretty good. A bit faster than I had hoped, but not Mach 2 either. I bought 1811 motors and 6A esc's to upgrade it to brushless, but haven't got a roundtuit yet. This will reduce weight a few ounces and should fly even better.
Glenn
Sep 18, 2019, 08:27 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt jk
TPfinkston,
How do I set one up?
Just doing what you're doing right now. Just show/tell about your build progress and when you come to an area where you have questions, just pose the question here. It all works pretty much like the blog.

Tony
Sep 20, 2019, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Hi all!
I really appreciate hearing from you all in the community. This injury sucks, but has helped in other unexpected ways. When I was a kid, I loved putting these planes together. Itís pretty cool to see how far tech has brought us.

Iíve been up in some pretty fun birds. Iíve always been a fan of aviation, and this hobby in a way exemplifies that.

Building planes like this is a way of paying respect to those who came before us, and in doing so I like to think of how brilliant some of these early pioneers were.

Building a B-17 is pretty awe inspiring, especially once you can start to see those classic lines materialize. I try to read about all the WWII vets and their experiences serving on this plane in my free time.

Itís a treat, and a lot of fun too!

I attached a pic from the ďofficeĒ, as well as my B-17 fuselage post sanding and filling. My idea was to have a paper thin base for the monokote to adhere to. Most of the weight sanded off.

It was a lot of work, but helped with my fine motor skills.

Once again, my end goals are to learn about the hobby, foremost the electronics of setting up an RC plane that will fly...

v/r

Capt JK
Sep 20, 2019, 10:55 AM
Or current resident
Yep, that looks like the perfect thickness. Sanded to a thin skin.
Monocote? That stuff is pretty heavy.
My suggestion is it's already covered, in planking. Use a lacquer sanding sealer you can get at any hardware store. Apply a few coats sanding between coats. Spray paint your desired color and done. A lightweight, durable covering. Not as puncture resistant as monocote, but a LOT lighter. For a filler I use Elmers wood filler in the tube, natural color. Lightweight, it sands like balsa and is almost a perfect color match for balsa too.
Sep 20, 2019, 02:01 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Did you see the 'Sticky' thread near the top of this forum ---

Guillow's Conversions - The list of conversion threads

There are 12 individual threads listed under the Kit No - 2002.

Sep 21, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
glewis,
Your bird looks really nice! Iím also a woodworker and appreciate your approach! Thanks for all your input! Is your B-17 still around?

I am having fun learning about the electronics.

I bought a spectrum controller which was a bit pricey, but can store multiple configurations for different planes. The rest of the electronic components werenít that bad. The nice thing is you arenít out much if you make a mistake.

I probably like building and learning about the process as much as Iíll have fun learning about flying.

What planes do you recommend for beginners to learn to fly with? I researched the area around base over here, and there arenít any RC groups or instructors I can find.

eflightray,
You are speaking specifically to my frustration. I followed the instructions. My link is above, scroll to the top. It wasnít moved to the Kit 2002 B-17 category.
Sep 21, 2019, 11:44 AM
Or current resident
It's still around. The plastics have yellowed a bit and the brushed motors have to go before the next flights. When I built it, it was way beyond my piloting ability. After I repaired it it has been in storage. It's on my list of aircraft to upgrade.
I recommend the Apprentice. That's what we use as our trainer at the club field. Easy to fly and plenty of spares are available.
Glenn
Sep 21, 2019, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
glewis,
I bought the B-17 kit not long after I hurt my shoulder as I knew Iíd be down for awhile.

My initial intent wasnít to build an RC plane, but had fun YouTubing videos and thought it would be fun to get into. I build so many of these as a kid!

Once the shoulder heals up a bit, I plan on getting a beginners plane of some sort. Iím looking at a long recovery, so Iíve got time.

I just received my Sullivan Golden Cable in the mail today. I should be able to install them and seal up the fuselage soon, should be fun!
Sep 21, 2019, 06:09 PM
Or current resident
As long as you are having fun. That's the whole point of this hobby!
Cool thing is I've been doing this for over 50 years and I'm still learning. I try a new method on each model I build. The Monocoupe 110 I'm building now will be covered in the soft touch film and airbrushed with Vallejo acrylics. Never used that covering or that brand of paint.
Glenn

Quick Reply