Sep 17, 2019, 02:39 AM
Thread OP
Rant

Dollar Tree Foam Build... In a Van!

Some lunatic (me) decided to just park his van at the beach all day and build airplanes.

The nerve of that guy. I guess he's like, really rude and boastful when he's on the internet, too.

Anyway here are some pics from his shoddy, nasty, foam build. Talk about slope trash. First EPP, now foam from the dollar tree.

The van got all foamy dusty but he has a dirt devil style vaccum that plugs into the 12v to suck up the dust.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 02:09 PM
Very creative!
Sep 17, 2019, 02:14 PM
Nothing to see here...
I love it...!!
Good work!!

Rubio
Sep 17, 2019, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Freakin headcase is back at it again today. Brushing some polycrilic over the whole thing. The wings delaminated a little on the edges, went too light with the poly. Nothing some foam safe CA can't handle.

No experience with this, might have to add 3/4 oz glass next time around. The maiden will tell.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
The poly + sharpie can make for a nice and light weight finish
Sep 17, 2019, 07:07 PM
Thread OP
Hmm getting close. Some other guys stopped by to fly a little, one drone, and a wild Ron appeared wielding his weasel.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:47 PM
Hey J, is that a forward swept wing or is it just something funky from the camera angle.
Like the planform and fuse design, keep it up!
Are you going with a clear canopy?
Sep 17, 2019, 07:58 PM
Thread OP
It is forward swept. Why not right?

I'm going to try to put together a clear canopy using packing tape and make the frame with some paper-on DTF
Sep 17, 2019, 08:08 PM
Nice, I like it!
How much of a PITA is it to get the paper off the DTF?
Sep 17, 2019, 09:27 PM
Thread OP
If you buy it from dollar tree it peels right off, no fuss, one shot. I picked up a board from Walmart and it stays on.

Looking for "Adam's ready board" or better yet you can go to the flite test website and grab some of their stuff.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Tried to do some hinges with packing tape. it doesn't stick! I'm going to try some medical tape like blenderm. If it doesn't work I'll try a thin layer of 5-minute epoxy on the hinge line to stick the tape down. Packing tape will come off the epoxy but I'm thinking it will work with something "grainy" like blenderm.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Nowhere I went had the blenderm in stock. Not the hobby shop in Leucadia or the Target which usually carries a similar medical tape. I tried some of Gorilla's packing tape. It's heavy, but extremely sticky and tear resistant. It worked great.

The plane flies pretty cool. Kinda quick for what it is. It only has two servos, one for ailerons and one for elevator. It's happy inverted or right side up. Crash landed and bounced it off my hand a couple times and it's still pretty pristine. That polycrilic is some good stuff.

I stuffed a fiber optic LED cable in the fuselage and it gives off a cool glow for night flying. Too bad there's no wind tonight!
Sep 19, 2019, 05:44 AM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk
A couple HG buds and I were waiting for conditions to improve , and I went walking around and found a 2' X 4' 1/4" thick sheet of blue Dow foam. I had a fairly extensive "repair kit" in the car, along with a radio set salvaged from a glider that had gone beyond the point where the repair kit could do any good.
I decided to phart off the HG flying and see what kind of fun I might have with the sheet of Dow.
I found the center of the sheet by balancing it on my fingertip and just started cutting away any foam that didn't look like a flyable planform.
I ended up with something kinda sorta like a bird. Foam added to the body allowed easy installation of the radio and with sandpaper I got it somewhat aerodynamic looking. The "airfoil" consisted of rounding the LE's, I left the TE's squared off with sharp corners.
The tail had a delta shape and I hand formed it into an anhedral shape inverted V, the wings were formed into a curved dihedral and the shape got locked in with packing tape. All laminations were via some really sticky double-stick tape I found in a thrift store.

A few test glides to get the CG in the ballpark and away she flew. The wind was straight in 8 to 12 and the stall was slow enough I could 'park' most of the time, and the sink rate was good enough that it never seemed like I had any trouble staying up. Although there was practically no camber, there was plenty of area, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of the foam sheet was lifting surface and frontal area was as minimal as possible. I was impressed because I didn't expect as much performance as I got. The tail looked too large when I cut out the planform but I guess that due to it being very short-coupled I had pretty good rudder and elevator control. I had a length of coat hanger wire bent to establish the inverted V angle, I made several adjustments to this angle until I had a nice enough balance of elevator and rudder responsiveness. The ruddervators were pulled up by a string and lowered by a strip of 1/32" Indoor contest rubber that went across the hingeline on the lower surface.

While I do much prefer a well made glider, I have to admit that this was one of the most satisfying model building and flying experiences I've had. I had no ruler, but I did have a straight edge that I used to cut the hingelines, everything else was freehand. The VW Rabbit's hood was a reasonable workbench and about the right height. It was a very memorable afternoon, I'm hoping I'll do it again. Fun to go minimal, just kept it in mind that disappointment only results from having expectation.
Last edited by Steve Corbin; Sep 19, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Dollar Tree Foam Plane Flies On Unicorn Farts (0 min 54 sec)
Sep 22, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thread OP

Part 2

Hooohhhhuhhhmmm

Quick Reply