Sep 19, 2019, 05:40 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodau
Yes I appreciate what you are saying.
I have built several quads already. Many with advanced systems (Ardupilot based): multiple cameras that are switchable from the radio for three instantaneous views, GPS systems that work autonomously, sonar ground proximity unit that tracked the ground, main FPV camera that stayed level to the horizon regardless of aircrafts pitch, optical flow for stationary hover, multiple switchable screens of OSD, I built an FPV viewing box BEFORE they were available, as well as many other custom functions for the Taranis. I have built RC powers score and fold airplanes. I know my stuff! <SNIP>

There is a business model here that, I believe, is viable. I have DONE it already in a similar business model. I am certain an ambitious guy could make some great money doing what they are already doing for free: hobbying quads.
Looks like there is your guy from above post and he only wants $50 total https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-build-service He gives his mobile number so maybe he can just walk you through what you need?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
This is a Hobby. We do it in our spare time. I do it because it's challenging and fun. I am retired now so I really was joking about my fees.
Some guys ARE charging that amount...and are getting it. Good for them!

In the old days I would change my car engine oil, mow my lawn, and wax/detail my car, among other mundane things.
Now I pay to have these things done. i am grateful for knowing HOW to do all these things but now I have higher priorities for my time and it makes fiscal sense to pay others for certain tasks, especially when they can do it better than myself!

I truly believe there is a business opportunity for guys to make this quad "modding/troubleshooting" a real money maker. Or in the LEAST make money on the side to pay for their hobby.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Looks like there is your guy from above post and he only wants $50 total https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-build-service He gives his mobile number so maybe he can just walk you through what you need?
Yes indeed.
This is the guy.
I just got through talking to him.
Sounds like this will be a good match for my quad builds
Thanks for the referral.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Hi xanuser,
Thanks for your comment. We live in the same town. I would value to opportunity to converse further. Would you contact me so we may do that? Thanks
Sep 19, 2019, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaccepted
I understand where you are coming from OP. In my younger days I had nothing but time to learn and build whatever I wanted to.

Now, with a family (including kids) and a full time day job the skills I have are enough for me to repair or build my quads in a short order of time...time which is very tight for me at this point in my life.

That being said, just be patient. I see you having a valid reason to pay for the end result. That's fine. You are willing to pay. But again, try to understand that many people actually have time issues such as yourself.

As was suggested earlier, try a local hobby shop or ama field. Try to seek out local flyers in your area. Heck, I have even seen people post the same request you have on craigslist.
Originally i did just what you suggested. Sent numerous vendors stating that I would buy an already built quad and then have them add on other features. Not one of them could do it. I sent emails to Joshua Bardwell and Andy Kim. Very nice replies but they are unable to accommodate me. Craigslist produced zero hits as well.

However, I have received many good replies from you and others. We are all in the same boat and the camaraderie is welcomed.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:40 PM
I kill batteries!
I don't ever think to bother youtubers especially those that make it their "job". They prioritize more about making videos to get subs and views even if it looks like they have "all the time in the world".
Sep 19, 2019, 06:46 PM
Quote:
You make $1000 dollars a day? Consistently? Doing what? What do you consult on? Actually you charge $125 and hour; so we are NOT that far apart bubbie.

In any event, I do make close to $1000 per day in my repair and sales business. That's why I CAN'T afford to spend 3 days flopping around with ineffective build results for a cheap ass quad to tear ass around with in my free time these days.

All things being equal, therefore, I could AFFORD a $3000 dollar quad build and be at parity!
ANY TAKERS NOW???????????
If I had to guess, the tone of your posts would be enough to turn off most folks. Plenty of self-respecting folk turn down work if they think that their prospective employer will potentially turn abusive. Looking over your previous posts, I can only surmise that this is the case. I would recommend calming down and dropping the demands from a community that is not under your employ.
Last edited by JLRogers; Sep 19, 2019 at 07:58 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 10:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRogers
If I had to guess, the tone of your posts would be enough to turn off most folks. Plenty of self-respecting folk turn down work if they think that their prospective employer will potentially turn abusive. Looking over your previous posts, I can only surmise that this is the case. I would recommend calming down and dropping the demands from a community that is not under your employ.
And from your tone you would not be one who I would ever employ.

You would never have been chosen by the Musk's, the Job's, The Ellison's. The tirades of a winning football coach would shrivel your nutt sack more than it is already.

I am looking for another alpha male, not beta duck. I don't need or want a sniveler who can't take directions.
If I appear curt it is because I think fast, I act fast, and I expect others to be fast. Now if you find that bothersome then you need to sit on a bench in the cheap seats and watch.

I am looking for an alpha male who can take control of an opportunity and deliver results and get paid reasonably well for their endeavors. Making themselves richer with money, experience and testimonials which is the long lasting effect of high performance.

Many, like yourself, are too flustered or put off by the high performing and demanding producers to be of anything other than the typical ordinary schmoe. Good for you, we need plenty of ordinary folks like you to do the mundane. God Bless ya.

Ps. Cute cartoon--You must of peed all over yourself then.
Sep 20, 2019, 12:15 AM
Enough said, I think that you've proven my point. I feel sorry for anyone that has the misfortune of doing business with you.
Sep 20, 2019, 03:21 AM
Quote:
And from your tone you would not be one who I would ever employ.

You would never have been chosen by the Musk's, the Job's, The Ellison's. The tirades of a winning football coach would shrivel your nutt sack more than it is already.

I am looking for another alpha male, not beta duck. I don't need or want a sniveler who can't take directions.
If I appear curt it is because I think fast, I act fast, and I expect others to be fast. Now if you find that bothersome then you need to sit on a bench in the cheap seats and watch.

I am looking for an alpha male who can take control of an opportunity and deliver results and get paid reasonably well for their endeavors. Making themselves richer with money, experience and testimonials which is the long lasting effect of high performance.

Many, like yourself, are too flustered or put off by the high performing and demanding producers to be of anything other than the typical ordinary schmoe. Good for you, we need plenty of ordinary folks like you to do the mundane. God Bless ya.

Ps. Cute cartoon--You must of peed all over yourself then.
That was funny. Many of the higher end technical people around here do not fly what your using. Some might have one for a cheap quad for their children. Two hours is not near enough time for a proper setup on something that is not working properly. Test flights alone could eat up that time, unless you had a large field in your backyard. I would recommend getting a better model or brand receiver. Your other option is to update your transmitters r6 modules firmware and try binding again. Turn down the transmitting power to its lowest setting, and keep the transmitter a good distance from the quad, ten feet or more.
Sep 20, 2019, 01:26 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling
Things change greatly when giving someone some help turns into a business. The biggest change is liability - if you pay someone to set up a quad and something bad happens when it's in your hands, things could get expensive and nasty, which is probably why no-one want to take this on.
This is a great point. Especially nowadays. People are so lawsuit happy. Especially in California.

I would also add the rabbit hole scenario. Where you think you’re going to help this guy out for two or three hours and it will cost him $200 or $300. But then find yourself 10 hours into the problem because something unforeseen and you feel guilty about it and you can’t see yourself charging the guy $1000. So you’re just stuck doing the work. This can happen even to the pros with years of experience.

Been there done that. I used to do some basic drone repairs and help people with building drones and help them with firmware updates all in my garage. It was fun because I had a passion for it. But I would not have wanted to do it as a business. Much easier ways to make money with drones than that!

( This reminds me when a friend and I were going to build me a computer. Back in the day about 25 years ago. He was extremely good at all the computer stuff and I was moderately good at it. We figured the job would take us 3 hours. We started at 7 PM. We didn’t finish until 5 AM the next morning. )

Quick picture of when I was doing drone related repair/upgrade stuff for friends and good guys that would contact me on RC Groups. Three Inspire1 ‘s on the bench. Plus my own was somewhere stored in the garage.
I also used to help people build DJI F450 and DJI F550 in the garage.
Fun times for sure, but I’m not passionate about it anymore at least not enough to spend the time required.

I wish you the best of luck in finding someone to help you. There probably is someone out there.

Dave
Last edited by DWA; Sep 20, 2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 05:48 PM
Kodau
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation).
Sep 20, 2019, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob
That was funny. Many of the higher end technical people around here do not fly what your using. Some might have one for a cheap quad for their children. Two hours is not near enough time for a proper setup on something that is not working properly. Test flights alone could eat up that time, unless you had a large field in your backyard. I would recommend getting a better model or brand receiver. Your other option is to update your transmitters r6 modules firmware and try binding again. Turn down the transmitting power to its lowest setting, and keep the transmitter a good distance from the quad, ten feet or more.
Yes that is a truism; it always takes longer than expected.

My thoughts on my proposal still remain. If I can make $100 per hour and pay someone $50 per hour I am still ahead. Additionally, when you figure in the fact that it may take me 8 hours, but my tech can do the same job, (and better) in 5 hours, it is, as they say in Bimini, more better.

And while a good well built 3" $250 quad is available, it still does not have ALL the cool features that I would want. Therefore, my threshold, to fly one of these cheapies may be $600 dollars; that is what I value this product. So, theoretically $350 mechanic fees will fit. That to me seems, on the surface, doable.

It's not so much the brand or model. Hell even Armattan doesn't have ANY cool features as delivered. It is that these units don't have R9MM (or Crossfire) GPS, RSSI, batt warning, OSD, telemetry, and a myriad of custom quad and Taranis adjustments to be "plug and play." This is what my master tech would bring to the table!

If everything goes smoothly (about a 10% chance of THAT) with the wiring, the downloads, the upgrades, the installs, the "hey that worked perfectly", then it is peachy. If not, it is a frustrating stumbling in the dark, banging your shins, before you find the light switch. I want a guy who can light the way; to turn that switch on because he know where it is.

Thanks for the tips. I'm just starting to work with the long range 900 Mhz R9MM.
Sep 20, 2019, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
This is a great point. Especially nowadays. People are so lawsuit happy. Especially in California.

I would also add the rabbit hole scenario. Where you think you’re going to help this guy out for two or three hours and it will cost him $200 or $300. But then find yourself 10 hours into the problem because something unforeseen and you feel guilty about it and you can’t see yourself charging the guy $1000. So you’re just stuck doing the work. This can happen even to the pros with years of experience.

Been there done that.

I wish you the best of luck in finding someone to help you. There probably is someone out there.

Dave
In any repair business some days you eat the bear and other times the bear eats you. As long as you are able to make your bills at something that is bearable (pardon the pun) it is good. Some people have jobs that pay a lot of money, and oftentimes they are miserable. Others have quit those well paying jobs, have restructured their lifestyle with a lower standard of consumption, and are happy as can be. However, if you are not a "trust fund baby" it is imperative that you make some money somehow. I firmly believe a drone/quad/RC master tech repair/sales is a doable enterprise. $60 bucks an hour does not sound unreasonable for one to charge. (plumbers, tesla and car mechanics are charging twice that, what's a bicycle shop rate?) If one would only work/book 20 hours a week that turns out to be a $60,000 per year income. And their is virtually NO overhead. You can do it out your garage. it can be done anywhere at anytime; day or night; rain or shine. No vehicle expenses, no shop rent, no insurance, no license, etc. THAT is a powerful business model right out of the box.

Anyway, it still remains, in my way of thinking, that a man who enjoys this work can make a business of it. Others have done similar business models, and have been successful at it. Additionally, it could open the door for these young guys to something far greater.

There may be a seed here to be grown, a egg laying chicken to sustain life, and a house for shelter to be built.

However, many people will eat the seed, eat the chicken, tear down the house for fire wood, and then will starve with their their mouths wide open.

And the sooner they stop breathing my oxygen the happier I will be.
Sep 20, 2019, 07:51 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
I enjoy this hobby a lot. So much so, the last thing I want to do is turn it into work.

If i had any actual experience with GPS quads or taranis TX's id happily walk you through it. could i figure it out? of course i could, ive made it this far with no tutor other than google, RCG and YT.

should we sell the hungry family a fish, or instead teach them how to fish (and trap and forage or farm)?
Last edited by xanuser; Sep 20, 2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply