Sep 17, 2019, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

I need a Guru to hire for $$$

What I thought was going to become a fun hobby has turned into a most frustrating and rather sickening endeavor.
I have had a Yuneec and 3Dr Solo; they were OK but just not very agile.
So I bought a Gt-215 to tear ass around and that was great. FPV is working, the Taranis x9 is working too. It was fun. But awful range and penetration along with no GPS recovery was giving me heart palpitations in fear of it flying away while I was looking at static FPV

Improving on that I decided to order an IFlight iH3 direct from IFlight with a special order GPS and R9MM long range module. What could go wrong; a factory built GPS long range quad.
After waiting 3 weeks it finally arrived, and as usual NO documentation NO nothing on the setup. The typical crap from china.

Long story short on my grief: I am fed up with trying to get this POS R9MM to connect. I have tried everything from flashing to downloading to updating the bootloader the SD card the everything in between.

Let's get to it. I don't have the time to eff around with this crap. I want to fly it, I DON'T want to coax this POS to operate.
I have spent all day in grief and this is insane. I am done dicking around with DIY and no results.

While I can appreciate this forum is geared for DIYourselfers I figure there is a business opportunity here for someone with ambition.

I want a Mechanic, a builder, a business person with talent. ( I simply don't have the time nor desire to learn how to do these cool things that you do.) I want to fly them not work on them.

I am looking for someone who knows their stuff and would set up my Taranis radio and quad with the best radio functions (telemetry, switches, sounds, etc) and make it work first class.

I have contacted some of the bigger names on youtube who are making instructional vids about THEM configuring this new quad and my Taranis.
Problem is...they are too busy. ?????? That sounds screwy (are they making so much money on YT that they can turn down paying work?)

I am looking for someone who wants to make $100 per hour to configure my setup.

I figure there is 2 hours of work here for $200 (maybe 4 or more) I just want it to effing work flawlessly with options and functions THAT WORK

Any ambitious hobbiest out there who wants this?????????
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 04:30 AM
It would help people if you said where in the world you lived!
Sep 19, 2019, 12:22 AM
Thread OP
Do you do house calls? :-)
I'm in the US.

I was thinking of sending this quad to a quad tech and have him do the work and then he could send it back. It seems a very straight forward and doable thing. I would expect it could be done worldwide.

OR someone who is proficient at Taranis to talk on phone and guide me to setup and troubleshoot RSSI that presently is not functioning. Upon successful function, charge me by the minute for time involved. Geez how difficult can this be for someone who knows their stuff????

I am quite amazed that after nearly 100 views NO ONE is interested in doing this service.
Wow you hobby guys must all be making big bucks to turn down a hundred dollars an hour gig.

I am proposing a multi hour paying gig to peak and tweak a quad and Taranis and no one is even curious about the work, terms, or what it entails. I am simply amazed at the level of low ambition for commerce in this world from the apathetic pleebs.

IS NO ONE INTERESTED IN TURNING THEIR HOBBY INTO A PAYING BUSINESS????????
Last edited by Kodau; Sep 19, 2019 at 03:29 AM.
Sep 19, 2019, 07:07 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Things change greatly when giving someone some help turns into a business. The biggest change is liability - if you pay someone to set up a quad and something bad happens when it's in your hands, things could get expensive and nasty, which is probably why no-one want to take this on.
Sep 19, 2019, 08:17 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodau
Do you do house calls? :-)
I'm in the US.

I was thinking of sending this quad to a quad tech and have him do the work and then he could send it back. It seems a very straight forward and doable thing. I would expect it could be done worldwide.

OR someone who is proficient at Taranis to talk on phone and guide me to setup and troubleshoot RSSI that presently is not functioning. Upon successful function, charge me by the minute for time involved. Geez how difficult can this be for someone who knows their stuff????

I am quite amazed that after nearly 100 views NO ONE is interested in doing this service.
Wow you hobby guys must all be making big bucks to turn down a hundred dollars an hour gig.

I am proposing a multi hour paying gig to peak and tweak a quad and Taranis and no one is even curious about the work, terms, or what it entails. I am simply amazed at the level of low ambition for commerce in this world from the apathetic pleebs.

IS NO ONE INTERESTED IN TURNING THEIR HOBBY INTO A PAYING BUSINESS????????
I think one issue is there is a multitude of RTF systems available. But you chose to go the "Hard" way. It is the way many older and even some newbies choose as they want the thrill and experience with dedication to "Make it fly". It is something that is ingrained in some, not so much in others. Nothing implied and your request is valid. Many people in this hobby (R/C) spent Money, Blood, Sweat and Tears to learn and develop their skill set. While not the Quad/Drone side I spent countless amounts of time devoted to learn how to build, tune and program radios, glue, coating, flying skill, hand eye coordination...ect.

I think to some you want your cake and eat it too, while others have served their due time in the trenches as it were. Right or wrong with their thoughts you can see their side of it if you think a bit. As I said if you want to just fly "Out of the box" there were and are options. Money aside which seems to not be a issue.

You choose to build a home/self build and now found you bit off a bit more than you would of liked. So be it...hopefully someone that can help you will, but chastising the community for what they may or not wish to do isn't helping your cause IMHO. I personally would help you, had I developed those skills for little than you offer. But those days were behind me when I choose to fly in this class of R/C, I knew that when I started so I sucked it up and bought off the shelf. It's a Pride thing basically and I guess to some your jumping many steps that others had to struggle to do...as mentioned maybe they don't feel you have earned the right or something which is holding them back.

Is their no local, either close or instate that has a hobbyshop "Near" you? Is there no flying fields with AMA or similar near you? These are where I would start (And did some 25+ years ago), most people when meeting them on their own turf are very happy to help someone new...try looking into that, best of luck on your endeavor, wish I could help, hopefully someone will
Sep 19, 2019, 12:15 PM
If you are not willing to take the time to study Youtube videos and learn stuff then this hobby is not for you. It has to be fun and challenging.

My consulting fees are at least $1000 / day plus expenses. :-)
Sep 19, 2019, 12:50 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Taking shortcuts in this hobby leads to loss, injury and even more disappointment.
You don't just jump in the pilot seat and just fly off into the wild blue yonder in a full size helicopter, and you also shouldn't do the same with a RC MR.
Spending money on something never equals the investment that's made by doing it yourself. The time invested is hopefully a big motivator in taking smaller steps and letting your building and stick skills grow slowly and safely.

But, I'll do it for $998/hr.
Sep 19, 2019, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling
Things change greatly when giving someone some help turns into a business. The biggest change is liability - if you pay someone to set up a quad and something bad happens when it's in your hands, things could get expensive and nasty, which is probably why no-one want to take this on.
Maybe, but that is probably not the main reason for guys not wanting to to this work.
Sep 19, 2019, 04:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
I think one issue is there is a multitude of RTF systems available. But you chose to go the "Hard" way. It is the way many older and even some newbies choose as they want the thrill and experience with dedication to "Make it fly". It is something that is ingrained in some, not so much in others. Nothing implied and your request is valid. Many people in this hobby (R/C) spent Money, Blood, Sweat and Tears to learn and develop their skill set. While not the Quad/Drone side I spent countless amounts of time devoted to learn how to build, tune and program radios, glue, coating, flying skill, hand eye coordination...ect.

I think to some you want your cake and eat it too, while others have served their due time in the trenches as it were. Right or wrong with their thoughts you can see their side of it if you think a bit. As I said if you want to just fly "Out of the box" there were and are options. Money aside which seems to not be a issue.

You choose to build a home/self build and now found you bit off a bit more than you would of liked. So be it...hopefully someone that can help you will, but chastising the community for what they may or not wish to do isn't helping your cause IMHO. I personally would help you, had I developed those skills for little than you offer. But those days were behind me when I choose to fly in this class of R/C, I knew that when I started so I sucked it up and bought off the shelf. It's a Pride thing basically and I guess to some your jumping many steps that others had to struggle to do...as mentioned maybe they don't feel you have earned the right or something which is holding them back.

Is their no local, either close or instate that has a hobbyshop "Near" you? Is there no flying fields with AMA or similar near you? These are where I would start (And did some 25+ years ago), most people when meeting them on their own turf are very happy to help someone new...try looking into that, best of luck on your endeavor, wish I could help, hopefully someone will
Yes I appreciate what you are saying.
I have built several quads already. Many with advanced systems (Ardupilot based): multiple cameras that are switchable from the radio for three instantaneous views, GPS systems that work autonomously, sonar ground proximity unit that tracked the ground, main FPV camera that stayed level to the horizon regardless of aircrafts pitch, optical flow for stationary hover, multiple switchable screens of OSD, I built an FPV viewing box BEFORE they were available, as well as many other custom functions for the Taranis. I have built RC powers score and fold airplanes. I know my stuff! ( I mod EVERYTHING myself; bicyles, motos, cars, surveillance systems, computers, electronics.) However, while I may be a great hobbyist and cobber, I am not a master tech who knows the BEST way to peak and tweak these quads/TX in a short order of time. These days I DON'T have the time to mess around.

The analogy I would us is this: I have built race engines in my day (Porsche, LS engines) that put out X amount of horsepower and were high performance and formidable. But what I needed was a guy who COULD build me an engine with 1.2 X of horsepower for me to stay "in the hunt" with the other racers.

Which leads me here. I know the systems and functions I want. I COULD do these things and they would take me 3 8-hour days and still not do it the best way possible. OR, I could pay for a master tech to do it for me in 6 hours total AND would have added features that I would not be aware of. Now I can spend my "hobby" time of 24 hours flying instead of flopping around, one eyed, hunting and pecking for a solution that could be resolved quickly and effectively by a master tech. THAT, to me, would be money well spent.

I, see a very viable scenario: I buy a new quad from the vendor, I send it to a master tech, he adds: R9MM rx ( and flashes it to match TX module), GPS, RSSI, optical flow, etc, adjusts the PIDs, and works out the Taranis functions which he sends me email for TX Companion, he makes sure the addons all WORK perfectly, he sends me the quad and instructions. I send him a paypal, bitcoin, money gram, or check. He does in 6 hours what would take me 24 hours. He makes money, I make money in my business. And net, I save money, time, grief, and an inferior end result.

There is a business model here that, I believe, is viable. I have DONE it already in a similar business model. I am certain an ambitious guy could make some great money doing what they are already doing for free: hobbying quads.
Sep 19, 2019, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
If you are not willing to take the time to study Youtube videos and learn stuff then this hobby is not for you. It has to be fun and challenging.

My consulting fees are at least $1000 / day plus expenses. :-)
Fun and challenging is fine. Grief, frustration, and ineffective time management is NOT.

You make $1000 dollars a day? Consistently? Doing what? What do you consult on? Actually you charge $125 and hour; so we are NOT that far apart bubbie.

In any event, I do make close to $1000 per day in my repair and sales business. That's why I CAN'T afford to spend 3 days flopping around with ineffective build results for a cheap ass quad to tear ass around with in my free time these days.

All things being equal, therefore, I could AFFORD a $3000 dollar quad build and be at parity!
ANY TAKERS NOW???????????
Sep 19, 2019, 05:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
Taking shortcuts in this hobby leads to loss, injury and even more disappointment.
You don't just jump in the pilot seat and just fly off into the wild blue yonder in a full size helicopter, and you also shouldn't do the same with a RC MR.
Spending money on something never equals the investment that's made by doing it yourself. The time invested is hopefully a big motivator in taking smaller steps and letting your building and stick skills grow slowly and safely.

But, I'll do it for $998/hr.
$998 per hour? Well at least we have a starting point for negotiation :-)

i understand completely and agree with you...mostly. If you have had the chance to read my previous reply you would find that I have built several quads a few years back and that I DO value the knowledge base that is built by the constant flooding of knowledgeable information.

What I could use now is a man who can answer my more advanced questions in a timely fashion. I have read for hours "oscar", have watched hours of "painless", "Joshua" "andy kim" and a SLEW of others! I have solved ALL of my RC problems to date (less this recent one) So I know how it works....that is until the instructions presented don't work due to another problem upstream. This leads to being "hung up" and flopping around trying crap that does not work and would never work because one is on the wrong path to resolve this. I would GLADLY pay someone good money to tell me the things I need to know in a 10 minute conversation rather than an exhaustive and oftentimes fruitless search, only to find oneself at zero solution and 100 of frustration and grief. What would take a master tech 5 minutes to answer, direct me to the right path, and explain the hierarchy would be well worth the money to me.

I all respect to you however, I will disagree to your premise that becoming a good helicopter pilot requires that one becomes a proficient airframe and powerplant mechanic as well. In fact I would venture to guess that the BEST helo/airplane pilots don't know very much about the airframe or powerplant, and if they did it wouldn't be to the level of a certified A&P mechanic; but they would still be great pilots. I worked for TWA as a mechanic in my early days :-)

I sent you a personal message. We may live closer to each other than one would imagine.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:25 PM
I kill batteries!
I understand where you are coming from OP. In my younger days I had nothing but time to learn and build whatever I wanted to.

Now, with a family (including kids) and a full time day job the skills I have are enough for me to repair or build my quads in a short order of time...time which is very tight for me at this point in my life.

That being said, just be patient. I see you having a valid reason to pay for the end result. That's fine. You are willing to pay. But again, try to understand that many people actually have time issues such as yourself.

As was suggested earlier, try a local hobby shop or ama field. Try to seek out local flyers in your area. Heck, I have even seen people post the same request you have on craigslist.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:26 PM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Have heard good recommendations for this guy:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-build-service

he has a youtube page here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtF...zJba_sA/videos

...hopefully you can work something out...
Sep 19, 2019, 05:30 PM
This is a Hobby. We do it in our spare time. I do it because it's challenging and fun. I am retired now so I really was joking about my fees.
Sep 19, 2019, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Hi xanuser,
Thanks for your comment. We live in the same town. I would value to opportunity to converse further. Would you contact me so we may do that? Thanks

Quick Reply