Sep 16, 2019, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Utter Kaos

I took my new Utter Kaos out for test flights today and shared a few pics. Had a problem with the OS AX 65. Iíve had 3 of of these engines but this one seemed really tight. I though when I got some fuel in it , it would be OK. No , turning it over it squeaks really loud. I tried to fire it up but it didnít seem right. Any ideas or just sent it back to Tower?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 06:08 PM
I heard the ax engines had a cylinder plating issue. I would be getting it checked out
Sep 16, 2019, 07:42 PM
CPA #100
+1 on checking the cylinder.

If all looks good. I would pre heat with a heat gun until it turns over freely, then fire it up and follow a normal break in procedure.

Paul
Sep 17, 2019, 05:12 AM
A man with too many toys
Those nickle plated cylinders are notorious for causing problems (ABN). I would gladly pay a little more to have a chrome plated cylinder.

Sep 18, 2019, 04:04 PM
I would not use a starter, pre heat and flip it...Just my 0.0002 worth....
Sep 18, 2019, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
I would not use a starter, pre heat and flip it...Just my 0.0002 worth....
I tried flipping it. It would pop but it was so tight it squeaks. Got tired of flipping.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:09 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcraz
I tried flipping it. It would pop but it was so tight it squeaks. Got tired of flipping.
That is a bit unusual. Is the engine under warranty? If it is send it back. If you cannot send it back then do the following.

Take the engine out. Take off the glow plug. Put some castor oil down the glow plug hole. Heat the cylinder area up with a head gun. Flip the prop at least 100 times by hand. Make sure you have lots of oil. If the engine squeaks it is not a good sign. I would also open up the cylinder head and check the piston and sleeve first to see if there is anything unusual. Just sure you use castor oil when you are moving the piston up and down.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
That is a bit unusual. Is the engine under warranty? If it is send it back. If you cannot send it back then do the following.

Take the engine out. Take off the glow plug. Put some castor oil down the glow plug hole. Heat the cylinder area up with a head gun. Flip the prop at least 100 times by hand. Make sure you have lots of oil. If the engine squeaks it is not a good sign. I would also open up the cylinder head and check the piston and sleeve first to see if there is anything unusual. Just sure you use castor oil when you are moving the piston up and down.
Iíve got another new engine that feels much better. This should be under warranty, Iíll just send this back. Hope Tower takes care of it. Thanks
Sep 18, 2019, 10:16 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcraz
Iíve got another new engine that feels much better. This should be under warranty, Iíll just send this back. Hope Tower takes care of it. Thanks

Much better. Their manufacturing tolerance must have been off.

Quick Reply