Thread Tools
Sep 16, 2019, 05:22 PM
Registered User
N99JH's Avatar
Thread OP
Help!

Axi 5360/20


I have recently bought this motor for use in a WWI giant scale model.

According to AXI data this motor should be run with a 30-20 propeller on 10S Lipo. The weird thing is that they say that max. current capacity is 65 Amp for 20 Seconds!!!

When I run Ecalc with the motor data - there's NO WAY this motor will EVER fly anything without burning to ashes within seconds!

Yet, I know that back in 2015 Dave Perron flew a Glenn Torrance Fokerr D. VIII weighing about 30 Lbs. with this motor and the recommended 30-20 prop on 12S, 5,000 mAh pack, so - what gives?

10S pack is nominally 37 Volts so, if Watts = Volts X Amps, than: 37 X 65 = 2,405 Watts.

When I run Ecalc with a model that weighs 30 Lbs, on 10S, 5,000mAh, and, 30-20 prop I get power required of 1,370W to turn that prop 3,500 RPM but the current draw is 108A and the temperature 180F.

I don't know what to think.

Any help offered to shed light on this matter is greatly appreciate.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 03:03 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH
. . . . When I run Ecalc with a model that weighs 30 Lbs, on 10S, 5,000mAh, and, 30-20 prop I get power required of 1,370W to turn that prop 3,500 RPM but the current draw is 108A and the temperature 180F.

I don't know what to think.

Any help offered to shed light on this matter is greatly appreciate.
10S (i.e. 42v fully charged) only needs 32.6A to develop 1,370 watts; 108 amps would give 4,500 watts (assuming no voltage sag)

Are you sure eCalc doesn't think you've specified 10 Nixx cells instead of 10 LiPo cells?
Sep 17, 2019, 04:16 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Ron van Sommeren's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by N99JH
... I don't know what to think. ...
If user abenn above did not hit the nail on the head, can you post the eCalc screendumps?

Vriendeljjke groeten Ron
• Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
e-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
Sep 17, 2019, 04:52 PM
Registered User
N99JH's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
10S (i.e. 42v fully charged) only needs 32.6A to develop 1,370 watts; 108 amps would give 4,500 watts (assuming no voltage sag)

Are you sure eCalc doesn't think you've specified 10 Nixx cells instead of 10 LiPo cells?
Sorry, I inserted a wrong value. The 1,370 Watts is the value for "Motor @ Optimum Efficiency" which indeed correlates to 32.6A. Under full power Ecalc predicted 4,207W and 108A.
Last edited by N99JH; Sep 17, 2019 at 08:41 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:07 PM
Registered User
N99JH's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron van Sommeren
If user abenn above did not hit the nail on the head, can you post the eCalc screendumps?

Vriendeljjke groeten Ron
• Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
e-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
Ron

No, he did not hit the nail on the head. Please see my reply to him.

Attached is a screen shot of the Ecalc calculation with my airplane information. By the way, Model Motors list the current V2 version AXI 5360/115 with the same Max. current of 65A for 20 seconds. !!???
Last edited by N99JH; Sep 17, 2019 at 08:50 PM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News AXI 5345 and 5360 Brushless Motors with Telemetry Jason Cole Power Systems 0 Oct 12, 2017 09:44 AM
Question AXI 2808/20 or AXI 2217/16 ? flashprash65 Power Systems 1 Jul 20, 2007 01:43 AM
Discussion Axi 5360 BandDButton Power Systems 0 Oct 25, 2006 06:39 AM
AXI 2808-20 vs AXI 2808-24 for Quiet Storm sportytourer Power Systems 15 Sep 23, 2005 05:11 PM
Which AXI for Pitts? AXI 2808/20 or 2808/24? cadconversions Power Systems 8 Apr 17, 2004 04:05 PM