Sep 16, 2019, 12:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mr Darby lights & Battery

I have a Mr Darby that I just picked up a week ago. The model is put together but it still needs a few things. I am looking to add lights to the kit and was looking for recommendation especially for the deck lighting. What size battery are people putting in the kit? I am guessing that most would use a deep cycle type battery. Any other recomandtions please let me know. Thank you.

John Albers
Milwaukee, WI
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 01:24 PM
For lights, check out M.A.C.K. PRODUCTS at; http://www.mackproductsrc.com/lights%20-%20y.htm

TO power up lights use voltage regulator off main power batteries item #7214-X3: http://www.mackproductsrc.com/access...01%20-%20w.htm
Sep 16, 2019, 04:49 PM
Chuck
I use 7 amp-hr 12 volt gel cell battery available from Batteries + Bulbs. Gives plenty of run time.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:42 PM
My Darby uses the common lawn tractor battery and has loads of run time. Harbor Models has a control center that takes the 12volts and steps it down to various voltages used for light bulbs, LED's ect. I used LED nav lights and mast lights on mine to keep voltage draw low. Mine also has a smoke unit from Harbor Models and the radar on top of the wheelhouse rotates.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:08 PM
Chuck
Ditto on Harbor Models power unit. Mine provides various voltages for motors, servos, Rx, winch, radar, siren, and bilge pump.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:04 AM
Here is the battery I use ( 28 pounds) and to the right you can see the 10 pounds of wrapped lead sheet for compensating ballast which goes in the stern.
Dito on the Harbor models power unit.
I picked up my nav lights here:
http://myplace.frontier.com/~aimee.eng/id12.html
Sep 17, 2019, 07:33 PM
That is where I got my LED nav lights from. I used the larger size lights, single height for the port/starboard nav and double height for the mast towing lights. I bought my Darby already built and the tray was set up for the Lawn and Garden tractor size battery, along with lead shot ballest in the stern to level the boat. Make sure you do NOT keep the battery in the hull when its not in the water unless you reinforce the whole battery area to bear that weight. Its a quick way to crack the keel and give oneself a hernia picking the tug up. I always set the hull sans superstructure, one of the stern ballest blocks and the main battery in the water, Then I install everything and power the tug up before installing the superstructure.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:06 AM
Pretty much what i have to do too Artfull.
Put the hull in the water, place the battery in the hull, connect the power leads, power up the distribution panel, put the aft 10 pounds of ballast in place, then put the deck house on and check that all works as needed.
Reverse all of this to get the thing out of the water.

Quick Reply