Sep 16, 2019, 11:47 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

teaching quad for 6th graders? LOS to start...

Hi all,

I'm working with my kid on getting him going with quads. I am invested in the Taranis ecosystem right now, so I'd like to stick to that if possible.

There are so many FPV micros out there now, but I'm looking to start simpler, like Nano QX style or similar, but with Frsky compatibility.

I'm hoping to expand this to other kids in the same school, so needs to be somewhat simple and cheap.

Prop guards would be very important.

I've looked at Hobbyking, not finding anything easily.

Any suggestions for non-FPV micros to start with? Or maybe should consider something a little bigger?

thanks

Ben
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 12:13 PM
Start with a sim. Much cheaper, and kids relate to computer games to begin with. I've used Liftoff to teach my 10 year old. A friend of mine did the same thing with his 12 year old.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:00 PM
Just give him a 5 inch.
A 10 year old will have this figured out in no time.

Smaller than 5 inch is pretty much unusable LOS.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:13 PM
He will be teaching you in no time! I agree that too small isn't good for LOS. Too hard to see unless it's within a couple feet. Only issue with larger is they can do more damage if they hit something. Do your training in an open field with relatively soft ground and nothing to hit.
A simulator is a good training aid but in addition to the real thing. Get him to FPV as soon as possible. It's much more fun than LOS.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
He will be teaching you in no time! I agree that too small isn't good for LOS. Too hard to see unless it's within a couple feet. Only issue with larger is they can do more damage if they hit something. Do your training in an open field with relatively soft ground and nothing to hit.
A simulator is a good training aid but in addition to the real thing. Get him to FPV as soon as possible. It's much more fun than LOS.
Transitioning to the real thing is important. The real strength in the SIM time is learning the stick movements. You can get a lot of the automatic response stuff down in the SIM, which will make real flight a lot less frustrating, and a smoother transition. That's my experience, in any case.

I totally agree on the FPV aspect. Much easier to fly FPV than LOS. I have mine flying a whoop around the house from time to time via FPV. She's picked it up pretty well. I haven't let her try a 5" yet, mainly because of how much damage they can cause to a person.

Now, if you're looking for something to just get the basics down for LOS, you can snag a hubsan x4 for stupid cheap these days, which isn't terrible for learning LOS with a quad locked in angle mode, and you can get a bumper guard so you can bounce it off walls pretty easily. I've had a couple to bash around LOS. The RTF models go for less than $30 on Amazon now. I think I paid closer to $80 when I picked my first one up 4 years ago. The radio the hubsan comes with is no taranis, but the sticks are longer than your average RTF toy quad, and feels closer to a real radio than any other cheap RTF quad I've ever flown. You can snag a multi-protocol module and use a taranis too, if you wanted to.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:54 AM
Nice thing about FPV is that it matters much less what size the quad is. Learning to fly with a Whoop indoors is great and there is no risk involved. But flying a Whoop LOS is not really much fun because it's so small. Indoor flying is great for learning especially if it's more available than outdoor flying.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:41 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
for anyone starting be they 6 or 60;
cheap tiny whoop for indoors. e011 or whatever look a like.
syma x5 for outdoors.
if they still like it after a few months consider buying a nice transmitter with multiprotocol that can control the toys you bought. it will make them both fly 50x better.
adding FPV would be a pretty easy mod.

AVOID using altitude hold, headless mode or return to home. if the goal is to learn to fly, those will only hurt progress, not help.

along with a simulator, to transition to FPV, set up the camera and goggles to record your LOS flights, then watch them back later. like studying footage after the big game in the locker room. it will help train your fingers to "see" what they need to do as you fly in your normal comfort zone.
Sep 18, 2019, 11:26 AM
FA3PR9WM79
A better way to make the transition from watching a computer screen to wearing goggles and having at it is to use the goggles while you are flying the sim. Most laptops have an HDMI out put and some goggles like my Fly Sight Spexman 02's have an HDMI input.

Word of warning: Have puke bucket handy.

I have Lift Off, DRL, and Freerider. I much prefer Freerider. The graphics in Lift Off and DRL are just too cartoonish for me

Quick Reply