Horizon Hobby Re-Leases the Carbon-Z T-28 2M

Horizon Hobby announced last week that the E-flite Carbon-Z T-28 2M was coming back!

Splash

The Big T-28 is back from E-flite

Horizon Hobby announced last week that the E-flite Carbon-Z T-28 2M was coming back! You might think it's a new version with updates, but no it's pretty much exactly the same as before which is why it's dubbed a re-release instead of a new release. That's not a bad thing either as the T-28 looked and flew awesome when it came out 4 years ago. They did update software in the receiver to add SAFE Select, but there's no other changes to the model.

The E-flite Carbon-Z T-28 2M should be arriving late this month and you can get it for $549.99.

Check out the Carbon-Z T-28 here

Sep 16, 2019, 11:09 AM
Electric Coolhunter
First of all, great news!! It is a fantastic model. But, it could be better.

We can only hope they did update the retracts to better units with true over current sensing instead of the rather problematic internal microswitches.

Some other improvements would also be great, in addition to the retracts. Thicker flap hinging, better pushrods, etc.

I have been working on a second hand original CZ T-28, converting the retracts to work with an external current sensing controller, rehinging the flaps and replacing the pushrods and linkages.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Sep 16, 2019, 11:28 AM
Jason already stated that there are no updates, just added "SAFE SELECT"
Sep 16, 2019, 11:48 AM
100% electric since 1990
I love mine. I think the later versions (mine was one of the last before being discontinued) had much more reliable retracts.
Sep 16, 2019, 02:58 PM
ICM
ICM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
I love mine. I think the later versions (mine was one of the last before being discontinued) had much more reliable retracts.
I'd love to order this plane, but don't want to spend $500+ and immediately have to replace the retracts. Is there anything different about your later version retracts which makes you believe they're more reliable?
Sep 16, 2019, 05:40 PM
100% electric since 1990
Just following the online discussions before I bought mine- totally anecdotal but folks seemed to agree that the ones bought 2017-2018 had fewer retract switch failures. This is separate from the argument that the gear are weak and bend easily- land the plane slowly and they last in my opinion. 100 landings on grass, I did remove the plastic gear covers (just like I would remove wheel pants from a fixed gear plane) but the gear themselves are structurally fine
Last edited by twest; Sep 17, 2019 at 08:14 AM.
Sep 16, 2019, 06:03 PM
Yes, the retract units were updated for better function/reliability during previous production of the CZ T-28 and those same (updated) units are included in the new production models as well.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:08 PM
For those that haven't seen our Face_book live video that covered all the details of CZ T-28 re-release, you can now see it on YouTube:

Live Discussion: E-flite® Carbon-Z® T-28 2.0m Re-Release (27 min 44 sec)
Sep 16, 2019, 07:12 PM
The sky is my playground.
It’s a shame that they are basically released the same plane at the same (or possibly higher) price with really no improvements. I never had issues with my retracts. But it would have been nice to see fwd gear doors, lights, a more scale prop...something. A new paint scheme.. Oh-well. And if there was a plane that didn’t need Safe/select...I’d think it was this one.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:21 PM
The video addresses everything you mentioned. And when it was originally released it was $569.99...it's now $549.99 (also addressed in detail in the video).
Sep 16, 2019, 08:00 PM
Boy oh boy! HH is getting carried away with themselves.
$570.00 US equates to $762 CA + 13% sales tax, have to pay for that free health care somehow, = $860.00. Don't think I'll see one in my 'hanger' anytime soon.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:04 PM
The price is lower now than it was when originally released ($549.99 versus $569.99), and I'm pretty sure HH doesn't have anything to do with the Canadian dollar exchange rate/taxes
Sep 16, 2019, 08:07 PM
Oh, I see there is a correction in the price, only $550. Bottom line is $836 CA. Wow. HH is so good to us.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:12 PM
I sure have heard from a few folks that they wish they had bought one...now they can.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:46 AM
This is a tough one for me. One of my flying buddies has one and Iíve flown it enough to know itís a fantastic flyer. $550 plus tax is expensive, (but probably reasonable for what you get.) The bigger issue for me is the size. I have a van so transport isnít a problem, but storing it would be an issue. Itís too big to leave assembled for storage and I would not look forward to assembling it before each flight.

Still, itís a great flyer.......

My flying buddy is a snowbird and heíll be back next month. Iíll have to take another hard look at his T-28 when he gets back and go from there.

Quick Reply