Oct 22, 2019, 05:43 PM
Thread OP
Here are some details of the mess I made

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2019, 05:48 PM
Thread OP
And a video, showing the throws problem

Super Easy elevators, rudder and throttle (1 min 48 sec)
Oct 22, 2019, 06:44 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
I noticed in your photos that the tiny servo arm retaining screws are missing , are you waiting to install them until everything is connected ?

Looking at your elevators , it appears that the control horn on the right elevator is taller than the control horn on the left elevator ..... if that's the case , that would cause uneven elevator travel . And don't forget that the elevators need reflex , about 6mm or 7mm up elevator .... or about a 5 angle up . The reflex should be there in the elevators' resting position ( without moving the transmitter control stick ) . Also , the movement of the elevator stick on your transmitter is backwards .... and the elevator channel ( channel 2 ) needs to be reversed . When you push the elevator stick forward ( up or away from you ) , the elevators should go down . When you pull the elevator stick back ( down or towards you ) , the elevators should go up . Push down & pull up . Check my demo video in post #75 to see how it's done correctly .

The rudder being slightly out of alignment with the keel shouldn't be a problem . When you first fly the Super Easy , you'll have to "tune" the plane : make small adjustments to get it to fly straight & level . I tune my planes to fly straight & level at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle . Adjustments may include : rudder trim , elevator trim , and CG . If it seems to fly tail heavy ( at 1/2 - 2/3 throttle ) , move the battery forward or add more weight to the nose . If it seems to fly nose heavy ( at 1/2 - 2/3 throttle ) , move the battery rearward . All adjustments should be made in small increments .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Oct 22, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
Oct 23, 2019, 06:20 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I will see what I can do to ensure that the attachment points on the control horns are at the same height, I will probably have to replace the horns
I think yesterday I was a bit too tired and busy to work on it, I made so many mistakes, including entreatingly the elevator direction.
But anyway, I will get there eventually

As for the servo arm screws, well spotted!
I have not installed them yet because I found myself having to remove the arms several times, but I will screw them down once everything looks as it should.
Oct 23, 2019, 12:01 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAl
But anyway, I will get there eventually
I know you will ..... I predict lots of fun RC flying in your future !
Oct 24, 2019, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
Today I had very little time, between work, kid and my workshop rent roof having collapsed under heavy rain but I have been thinking how to make the whole Y pushrods thing less of a pain to set when using rigid rods such as the tigs.

I came up with this little thingy, which makes it quite easy to install, but might not keep things sufficiently straight and rigid when putting and pulling.

Tomorrow morning I'll take care of the horn height.

Oct 24, 2019, 07:07 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Today I had very little time, between work, kid and my workshop rent roof having collapsed under heavy rain but I have been thinking how to make the whole Y pushrods thing less of a pain to set when using rigid rods such as the tigs.

I came up with this little thingy, which makes it quite easy to install, but might not keep things sufficiently straight and rigid when putting and pulling.

Tomorrow morning I'll take care of the horn height.

Looks good !

Chances are : when flying , you'll be using "up elevator" ( pulling ) a lot more than "down elevator" (pushing ) . You may possibly not use down elevator at all , so I wouldn't worry too much about proper down elevator function . I don't think I ever use down elevator on my Super Easy : I use rudder and up elevator to make turns , and up elevator to do loops . And of course : increased throttle to climb , decreased throttle to descend .

Now put that propeller facing forward on the motor , and go out and fly that thing !
Oct 24, 2019, 08:45 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Why can't you make that fancy pushrod out of a single rod? Come from one elevon horn to under the servo arm, a short bend through the servo arm, and then back to the other elevon. Might need a minor bend or two to clear the servo body.
Oct 24, 2019, 09:18 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Why can't you make that fancy pushrod out of a single rod? Come from one elevon horn to under the servo arm, a short bend through the servo arm, and then back to the other elevon. Might need a minor bend or two to clear the servo body.
McAl mentioned that the welding rods he's using are too short to make a one-piece V pushrod .

In post #34 I posted photos of a very simple V pushrod made with a music wire , that's what I have on my Super Easy .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Oct 24, 2019 at 10:23 PM.
Nov 05, 2019, 11:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
McAl mentioned that the welding rods he's using are too short to make a one-piece V pushrod .

In post #34 I posted photos of a very simple V pushrod made with a music wire , that's what I have on my Super Easy .
I think music wire is in the end a more flexible, quite literally, solution. Welding tigs are great for anything relatively short and straight. At some point I will place an order with hobbyking and get some music wire too.

I got a bit sidetracked by work and family commitments but tomorrow morning is the day, I kept a few hours free of work just for that, given afternoons are getting to short to go with my kid after school.

The control horns now are level enough I think and I put some reflex like you showed me.
I hope I can take a video.

Nov 05, 2019, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Propeller test (0 min 21 sec)

Nov 05, 2019, 11:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
That's a good idea, thanks.
I made the mistake of purchasing short welding tigs, which made things unnecessarily complicated, but I guess I am learning a lot from my mistakes

Nov 05, 2019, 02:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
https://youtu.be/WwdS3RJRqTw

Your SE looks ready to fly , great job putting it all together !
Does it have a good CG balance with just the one battery ?

When you fly tomorrow : if you don't have a camera person , you can put your camera on a hat .... or you can simply put the camera on a park bench or picnic table , or even just on the ground . Try to angle it to get about 1/4 ground and 3/4 sky in the view finder .
Nov 05, 2019, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Your SE looks ready to fly , great job putting it all together !

Does it have a good CG balance with just the one battery ?

When you fly tomorrow : if you don't have a camera person , you can put your camera on a hat .... or you can simply put the camera on a park bench or picnic table , or even just on the ground . Try to angle it to get about 1/4 ground and 3/4 sky in the view finder .
I have been balancing it as per your drawing, with the CG just in front of the prop slot, trying to make it slightly nose heavy just in case. So it seems that one battery is sufficient, but I am bringing them both, so I can always add another if needed.

I don't think there are any benches where I am going, I tried and select an open field which is not busy in the morning, fingers crossed, and the only close one is basically a soccer training field.
However, my go pro clone came with quite a few attachments, so I might be able to improvise something.

Nov 05, 2019, 08:16 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I have been balancing it as per your drawing, with the CG just in front of the prop slot, trying to make it slightly nose heavy just in case. So it seems that one battery is sufficient, but I am bringing them both, so I can always add another if needed.

I don't think there are any benches where I am going, I tried and select an open field which is not busy in the morning, fingers crossed, and the only close one is basically a soccer training field.
However, my go pro clone came with quite a few attachments, so I might be able to improvise something.

Excellent ! Looking forward to the flight report and possible video !

The SE is tolerant of slightly tail heavy , I shot a video of mine flying tail heavy on purpose :

Super Easy RC plane slow high alpha flight (2 min 38 sec)

Quick Reply