Sep 16, 2019, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help me pick the right VTX and Antennas

Hi all

would really appreciate some specific input into 2 parts of the FPV set up that I am struggling to get my head around.

There are loads of great reviews of goggles and cameras out there and I have settled on SKYZONE SKY02C goggles because I like the 16:9 and the FOV you get with the 1.8mm lens and I have also pretty much settled on the Foxeer Monster Mini Pro because the colours and clarity seem the most appealing to me.

I will be flying my Eflite 1.2m Clipped Wing Cub and / or my Eflite 1.1 PT-17 and to begin with the camera will be fixed so I won't be taking advantage of the head tracking capability.

I fly off a golfcourse at the top of a hill and reckon I want to be able to fly about 2 miles away max. I should be able to fly most of the time with LOS but there are a few areas where trees could get in the way.

I would like to be able to record what I see onto an SD card but I am no video editor so will not be strapping a separate HD camera to the plane nor going for one of the mix cameras which don't seem to be quite as good on latency as the pure versions.

So if you were me and you wanted to spend a lot more time flying and a lot less time configuring, updating software, working out why things don't bind etc, what VTX would you use and what antennas would you go for for the plane and the goggles?

Many thanks for taking the time to help out.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 01:22 PM
With regard to recordings, doesn't the SKYZONE SKY02C come with a built DVR & micro SD card slot?
Sep 17, 2019, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
It certainly does but unless I am missing something it records what you see, ie SD. I quite fancy having HD footage from the plane for videos. It is not essential though, just a nice to have if it is easy.

I guess I am most interested in knowing what VTX works well with the camera and with the sort of flying I hope to do.
Sep 17, 2019, 03:42 AM
I use Prodrone antenas. Mmcx cloverleaf on a akk fx2, and 3.5 turn helical and googgle edition pagoda ( long one ). Very happy. So far 5km out, image still good. Well worth a look: www.prodrone.pl

As for HD, i use mobius velcro'ed to my wings

Wysłane z mojego SM-A520F przy użyciu Tapatalka
Sep 18, 2019, 04:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmor
I use Prodrone antenas. Mmcx cloverleaf on a akk fx2, and 3.5 turn helical and googgle edition pagoda ( long one ). Very happy. So far 5km out, image still good. Well worth a look: www.prodrone.pl

As for HD, i use mobius velcro'ed to my wings

Wysłane z mojego SM-A520F przy użyciu Tapatalka
Many thanks. 5km is more than enough for me. I shall check them out.
Sep 27, 2019, 04:55 AM
New personal best with those antennas: just over 6km. I may try 5turn helical

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 7 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Sep 27, 2019, 05:30 AM
This is an old vid of mine which shows the Tommy D Helical at work
nicktwinnflying (8 min 7 sec)

Quick Reply