Sep 16, 2019, 04:54 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Discussion

Evolution of props ?

So many years in model flying ... watched so many great labels disappear such as Taipan ...

Today Multi-Rotors seem to be pushing the prop boundaries and giving us forms that previously were not there. Also the increase in availability of reverse rotation props.

I'm a great follower of foam parkflyer's and Multi-rotor props are fast becoming popular over the usual fixed wing style props. More 3 bladers are making way onto the field ... along with multi-engine models with counter rotating props.

Anyone else delving into use of MR props for their 'normal' models ?

Example : My Polaris swaps between two props now ... 6x5 Bull nosed and 6x4 3 blader Gemfan .... both giving me shorter take-off run on water than the usual 6x4 2 blader.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 08:24 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Perhaps the multirotor type props need adding to those 'calculators' to show whether they are better for certain situations.

I still have some old Keil Kraft white nylon props in my collection, though I doubt they will ever get used, well not fo flying.

Sep 16, 2019, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Blimey .. white nylon !!

At Beaulieu site in New Forest - my Skymaster biplane broke its prop ... 12x6 Master Airscrew on a Super Tigre 61 ..... only spare I had was a White Nylon prop ...

I can still picture it today ... as soon as throttle was opened - you could see the prop arc flexing forward !! I shut her down and never flew her with it !! To be honest - never did know why I had that prop !!
Sep 16, 2019, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
On RCPowers site - a lot of the guys are changing to multi-rotor props especially in the 3 blade format for pushers and prop in slot machines.

One guy over there has done a lot of testing and continues to add to the list.

Not only props - but motors now offered for MR's that compared to what was offered are truly amazing. Small size but power and voltage capability that is truly astounding.

My usual motor for pushers etc. has been the TGY 2826 2200kv .... like many others use. But I just bought Racerstar 2212 2450kv at half the price and has more power !
Sep 16, 2019, 09:18 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
It was because the Keil Kraft props were so eager to go the tips wanted to race ahead. They sometimes did without the plane if you didn't boil them first to relieve any internal stresses.
You needed the Keil Kraft Tru Flex prop, you could go in vertical with a control line combat model and the prop would bend back like a folding one. A quick pull on the blades would straighten them out roughly, and you were back flying again.

It would be handy to see not just more info on MR props but the 'flat' MR brushless motors as well for use on planks.

Sep 16, 2019, 10:55 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I use polycarbonate MR props from DAL and GemFan for my combat planes. These are said to be "unbreakable". Well, they're not...but they are very tough. Will bend instead of breaking and can be successfully bent back. I've only used 2-blade because I would think the 3-blade would get additional abuse in landings. Can't move out of the way.

And I like the FPV racing series of MR motors that RCTimer sells. Cheap, fast, and so far reliable for me.
Sep 16, 2019, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
Banggood and RCTimer are leading the pack with large ranges of motors and props ...

They are fast taking over my business from Hobby King. HK seems to have lost the plot and BG / RCT are certainly picking up the slack ...
Sep 20, 2019, 05:38 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
But I just bought Racerstar 2212 2450kv at half the price and has more power !
Found that motor, but it's not in eCalc. I usually do a 6x6 on the 2212/2200, 3S. Too much prop for this one?
Sep 21, 2019, 01:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line
Found that motor, but it's not in eCalc. I usually do a 6x6 on the 2212/2200, 3S. Too much prop for this one?
So far only 6x4 ... but its making me 'smile' .... have yet to fly it ...

I have been a steady user of the Turnigy 2826 2200 for years .... my other motor is the 2450kv Mongoose motor ......... so this is a step away from my normal use.

Quick Reply