Sep 15, 2019, 06:15 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Thread OP
Question

Recommendation for Lipos

I did a search here as I'm sure it's been discussed before but couldn't find anything so I'm asking the question:

What lipos do you all like? I'm looking for real world experience over time.

I'm looking to buy four 4s 5000-6000 mah packs for my Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fokker DVII. I run two packs paralleled then the pairs in series for 8s 10,000mah. It needs the nose weight so I might as well add capacity. It pulls around 60 amps max on full throttle which is rarely used 30 to 40c would suffice. I've been using the blue Turnigy packs but they all seem to puff after a few uses. I do take care of my packs. Always discharged to 3.8v/cell for storage and never abused.

My friend CyberMike has had good luck with HRB and Admiral over time. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 07:03 PM
Arrowhead
I typically go with Gens Ace. I’ve also used and like the original Turnigy Graphene 4S packs. Packs from both brands have been in use for multiple seasons.

The one brand I’ve tried and won’t touch again are Turnigy Nanotechs. Some folks swear by them but I’ve never had a pack that didn’t crap out in short order.

Getting input from folks here is fine, but honestly the best thing is to try a pack or two and see what you think, of whatever brand you’re considering. Opinions and experiences with battery brands seem all over the map. Find what works for you!
Sep 15, 2019, 07:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Getting input from folks here is fine, but honestly the best thing is to try a pack or two and see what you think, of whatever brand youíre considering. Opinions and experiences with battery brands seem all over the map. Find what works for you!
Thanks for your input. I'd rather not waste time, money and most importantly a beautiful large scale model on trial and error though. I think that what I'm looking for is pretty self-explanatory. What I want to know is what packs do you all have that last and deliver their stated power for more than just one season? I have 5 to 10 year old packs that still work great but I wouldn't want to use them in something this large and heavy.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:15 PM
Ken Stuhr
I've had good luck with Zippy and/or Zippy Compact. They are also cheap enuf to replace at the first sign of weakness(which I have not seen btw)
Sep 15, 2019, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyken
I've had good luck with Zippy and/or Zippy Compact. They are also cheap enuf to replace at the first sign of weakness(which I have not seen btw)
My oldest 3s packs are Zippy and seem to be doing well. Mind you at their age I don't push them too hard though. I'll give those a look.
Sep 16, 2019, 07:45 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
I've had good luck with Zippy Compacts. I've got a couple 6s 4000 that are just over 5 years old and flown regularly. Trying out some Hobby Star packs this season with excellent results. 6s 4600 and 4200 packs in EDFs, Carbon Z Cub, and Carbon Z Cessna 150. Still hards as rocks and noticeably better performing than my old Zippys.

This is a good thread to be familiar with when shopping for lipos:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons

MORE interested in how you are getting the packs in and out of your D-VII.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff
I've had good luck with Zippy Compacts. I've got a couple 6s 4000 that are just over 5 years old and flown regularly. Trying out some Hobby Star packs this season with excellent results. 6s 4600 and 4200 packs in EDFs, Carbon Z Cub, and Carbon Z Cessna 150. Still hards as rocks and noticeably better performing than my old Zippys.

This is a good thread to be familiar with when shopping for lipos:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...st-Comparisons

Thanks for that link. Very interesting info there. The technical bits are over my head but I get the gist of it.

I'll snap some pics of the battery access when I have a chance. The DVII is still in the trailer. I only just got back from the NEAT Fair and Rhinebeck last night so my things are still packed away. A quick description though might suffice: The dummy Mercedes engine is held to two cross braces by pretty powerful magnets. I remove the dummy engine and have easy access to the battery area. The four 4s 5000's are loaded horizontally, one on top of the other up against the rear of the firewall and held in place with a single velcro strap. This is just a temporary arrangement. Now that I know that the balance is right with this set up I'll make a bulkhead to go behind the lipos and load them vertically which is much simpler.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:22 AM
Arrowhead
Like I said, the Gens Ace and the Graphene seem to hold up well. I havenít bought a new pack in at least 2 years. Internal resistance ratings have remained pretty constant. And honestly I donít treat my batteries the best. Itís not unusual for me to leave them charged for a week or two . Heck there are probably a couple that spent a winter fully charged.

On the other hand, I donít do 3D or fly WOT for 5 straight minutes, so theyíre not abused in the air as much as theyíd be with other flyers.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Thanks for that link. Very interesting info there. The technical bits are over my head but I get the gist of it.
Fortunately the summaries and links in the first post are kept updated and contain all the information mere mortals need

I've read most of the thread and it can get WAY off-topic at times (like everything else here).

Got a 1/3rd scale Sopwith Pup kit and wondering how I'm going to change flight batteries before I even start, but that is one of the things I like about building. Doing it my way from the start.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:06 AM
Parkcityflier
What motor are you using?

Jim
Sep 16, 2019, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier

Jim
Are you asking me or Tim? I'm using a Turnigy SK3 6374 192kv motor and Castle 80amp esc. I use a separate Castle 20amp bec with a 3s 3000 pack.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:15 AM
Quote:

Jim
Me? The Pup will get a Rimfire 65cc on 10 or 12 cells. It is gonna be a while. The kit is still sealed.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff

Tim-- Just about to post detailed pics of the battery area and the lipos in my DVII thread. Here's the link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ker-DVII/page9
Sep 16, 2019, 09:22 PM
Parkcityflier
Carrera, , sorry. I was asking you. I didn’t take into account the other postings on the thread. I also have a 1/4 scale DVII, Proctor addition, just finished but hasn’t been flown yet.
Tim, I also appreciate your input. I’m building the 1/4 scale Pup, with some different building ideas for it. Yours is a 1/3 scale but is still a help for me.

Jim
Last edited by parkcityskier; Sep 16, 2019 at 09:31 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Carrera, , sorry. I was asking you. I didnít take into account the other postings on the thread. I also have a 1/4 scale DVII, Proctor addition, just finished but hasnít been flown yet.
Tim, I also appreciate your input. Iím building the 1/4 scale Pup, with some different building ideas for it. Yours is a 1/3 scale but is still a help for me.

Jim
Jim,

I haven't weighed it in it's current form but I think it is 24-26 lbs. If your Proctor is in that range then a similar set up would likely work.

Mike

Quick Reply