Sep 15, 2019, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dope and Fabric Repair

How do you repair rips and tears in dope and fabric finishes? I don't want to recover the models. These old models are glow powered and probably painted with butyrate dope. Should I put down some butyrate dope and the wet silkspan and then tack down the edges with butyrate dope. After drying, follow with a butyrate dope finish? Is there a better method of repair? Thanks. Steve
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 08:46 PM
What you wrote will work. If it is a wing, you may want to trim the tear back to near a rib. I would not cut entirely back to the rib. Then dope on a new covering piece as you described. Because it is an old finish, I would apply one thinned coat of dope around the opening and let it dry. Then apply a second coat to apply the covering.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tip. Steve
Sep 17, 2019, 07:25 AM
When I did this (with Sig Koverall) I used Sig Stix-It to attach the patch. I think it holds a little better than dope, and that's a particular concern when applying ia patch to an old finish. Maybe not necessary, but it does work OK.

Quick Reply