Feb 28, 2005, 12:49 PM
In charge of laundry & morale
Thread OP

Foam Profile F6F Hellcat

Just started this for my newest indoor flyer. It's from Fun Foam Models Plans, drawn & designed by Howard Carpenter. 32" WS 22 1/2" Long. Foam Meat trays I was able to get from a local Grocery store worked great, 3/16" thick. Planning on using GWS Pico gear, both servos & receiver. Power to be a GWS S1 IPS system with Kokam 340 2S lithium pack.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Added a 1.5mm (.055) Carbon fiber spar @ 2" from the LE (Hopefully thats where it should balance, no CG given on the plans so I went 30% 'ish from the LE) Tail surfaces all hinged in place. Tail seems kind of wobbly side to side aft of the TE, might have to anchor it to the wing with Fishing line. Time to find out where that radio gear will go, mount the motor stick, and get it ready for paint. So far all up weight of the bare air frame is 1.5oz. Weighed all the radio gear and it looks as if I'll be in 5-6oz range.
Feb 28, 2005, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
Oh, BTW. I have the plans in .pdf format for anyone who wants 'em.

Just email me. [email protected]

Ed
Feb 28, 2005, 06:55 PM
Foam rules
Wow looks great. One question, what dihedral? It should be like 3" each tip. Hope it works out well for you.
Feb 28, 2005, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! Yeah, It's a wee bit flat. But even with the CF spar, it still has pretty good flex, so I 'm kind of looking at the "in flight" dihedral effect ala Tiger moth. If not, I'll have to modify. Hoping to maiden it this weekend.

Motor stick and servos mounted:
Mar 02, 2005, 10:56 PM
Thread OP
Getting it ready for paint, realized I should probably add some hard points for the fishing line to run through for stiffening the tail, made them from 1/64" ply:
Mar 02, 2005, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
Had another thought on the previously discussed dihedral issue. Just in case, I added another Hard point on the spar line to run some line to the wingtips were I left a little spar material sticking out to tie to so i could "Tug up" the wingtips, going to try it without for the first flight:
Mar 02, 2005, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
Been mulling over schemes for this bird (I like scale, even for the little ones) I think I'm going with Early Blue Angels, Circa 1946. In fact, these were the first planes the Blue Angels flew, less than a year then they switched to F8F Bearcats. Solid insignia blue with simple "US NAVY" on the fuse and Plane # on the tail:
Mar 03, 2005, 08:23 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Sorry , but I think it's not gonna' turn ...in flight dihedral (wing flex) cannot be used for dihedral , the plane would then only turn when the wings flex... loop/turn????ailerons on a flat(no dihedral) wing would work fine ... rudder , hmmm I doubt it , but go ahead ant try it just to prove to yourself(self-learned knowledge) that it doesn't work ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Mar 03, 2005, 08:38 AM
Most foamys use a CF spar or "shock" fuse to stiffen the tail. Just a thought.
Mar 03, 2005, 10:20 AM
hello,
cool plane
how much gram is 1 oz ??

Greetz
Steven
Mar 03, 2005, 02:02 PM
Git-R-Done
1 oz = 28.34952 grams

Hermitt
Mar 03, 2005, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Yeah Gpw, I have to agree with you. I think I'll start out with the tips tugged up by the fishing line.
Mar 03, 2005, 02:24 PM
Thank you
Mar 04, 2005, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Got the radio gear & battery situated where it needed to be for balance.

Frame as it sits here is 1.8oz, all strung up & ready for paint:

Quick Reply