Wildlife Artist / RC Designer
What's the wing span of your swift?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2019, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
447mm
Dec 13, 2019, 09:50 AM
Wow that's small. I look forward to seeing more.
Dec 14, 2019, 03:09 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Nice work Dantiel ... ... clever use of leather for the upper part of the connecting rods !!
Dec 14, 2019, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
thanks, it works ok, but model shows some miscalculations, its staying a loft only short, ill need to make it lighter , wings less stiff and flap more speedy (either faster motor, change gears or use of step up converter)
Jan 09, 2020, 05:50 PM
Thread OP

Red Kite - for air sovereignty demonstration

new model near to finish, resembling an adolescent red kite for demonstration of the lord of the sky ( LOTS). lightweight and powerful ( i hope), featuring wing slots to make the wing seemingly bigger and attaching airstream better.

---

Wingspan: 124cm
Motor: 20C brushless out runner motor 2050kv
ESC: Hobbywing FLYFUN 12AE 2-4S, 2A BEC
Gears: 14t0.5M pinion - 50t0.5MSpurGear/7t0.5Mpinionwire - 72t0.5mMainGear
Weight: 190g (with 3S 240mah lipo)
Transmitter 3CH FLYSKY
Rudder: 2x 5.5g DS56MG metal servo
Last edited by Dantiel; Jan 11, 2020 at 06:26 AM.
Jan 09, 2020, 08:40 PM
Nice Kite. Happy flying.
Jan 09, 2020, 11:43 PM
Thread OP
thanks, fingers are crossed
Jan 09, 2020, 11:48 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
It looks great. Almost doesn't matter if it flies as long as the wings flap and the tail moves.
Jan 10, 2020, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Ok then
Jan 13, 2020, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Finally quiet day here.First test flight was successful. It could fly easily with 2s lipo than intended 3s,flapping reaaally slow around 3hz. Only stupid i didnt tune it well and crashed breaking a Wing.

Attached pic of newly added fuselage. Head from Styropor reinforced by 0.3mm Carbon Plate (it May be cut by small scissors), Body from 3mm depron and 5mm depron ribs. Still need to paint.
Jan 13, 2020, 05:35 PM
If I were you I wouldn't use that new body until the bird is trimmed better. Given the birds size and weight the thin 0.3mm carbon plate will splinter and won't do much to protect that head in a crash landing. Progressing nicely. Could be a fun flyer.
Last edited by DaVinciBrainchld; Jan 13, 2020 at 10:43 PM.
Jan 13, 2020, 10:34 PM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
nice work Dantiel
suggest diagonal spars connect to outer side of main spars for better stability and flapping efficiency
Sam
Jan 14, 2020, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
@sam thanks for suggestion, i am considering it because its true wing broke right after diagonal spar. i fixed with wrapping transition with wider tube and lots of glue yurks. the problem from long diagonal spar is only it either makes the wing heavy or too loose, because a longer spar means it must be stronger also? maybe ill try thin second diagonal spar that is connected to other spars, so it is the whole wing that receives the impact of crash than only main spar

@brainchild the 0.3mmm feels quite strong and i used it so the fibres go along with the beak, also bird is light and head part is needed to protect the main gears
Jan 16, 2020, 12:07 PM
Thread OP

Apus Apus (Common swift) fuselage added

Some more Update in the Common swift. I tried it out and flies indeed sweetly, only short because was using 75mah lipo (which is not accurate because those guys SLEEP in the air). Overall weight is 30g. Probably i should have left away Ball bearings, use the lighter Wing Material., Etc.. Will try to make some Video soon. Other birds need repair still.

Quick Reply