Sep 15, 2019, 05:41 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

Here’s a fun history lesson!

Quote:

A hundred and twelve years ago, in 1907...our great grandparents were first able to buy the rifle pictured. The semi-auto Winchester Model 1907.

This is a gun they could buy from a Sears catalogue and have delivered via US Post. It was/ is a semi-automatic, high powered centerfire rifle, with detachable, high capacity magazine.

About 400,000 of these were produced before WW2. Civilians had hundreds of thousands of these semi-auto rifles for 40 years, while US soldiers were still being issued old fashioned bolt action rifles.

The 1907 fired just as fast as an AR15 or AK47 and the bullet (.351 Winchester) was actually larger than those fired by the more modern looking weapons.

The ONLY functional difference between the 1907 and a controversial and much feared AR15 is the modern black plastic stock.

To summarize:

The semi auto, so-called "assault rifle" is 110 years old. It isnt new in any way.

The semi auto rifle was not a weapon of war. The government MADE IT a weapon of war 40 years after civilians had them.

The semi-auto can be safely owned by civilians. The proof is that literally 3 generations of adults owned and used them responsibly and no one ever even noticed.

Want to fix the horror of mass shootings? Fix the things that have changed for the worse in the last 50 years. The rifle technology in question was here long before this insanity.

Clyde
Sep 15, 2019, 05:53 AM
Suspended Account
And, the reason the stock and forestock are wood in because, plastic was not invented yet.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:35 AM
turn, turn, turn.
You still have not identified the problem that you insist exists, but is not related to guns.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:49 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
You still have not identified the problem that you insist exists, but is not related to guns.

I didn't write the words, I just thought it was interesting and decided to share.

So, how would address the problems?

Clyde
Sep 15, 2019, 06:52 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garalon
And, the reason the stock and forestock are wood in because, plastic was not invented yet.
Quote:
Parkesine (nitrocellulose) is considered the first man-made plastic. The plastic material was patented by Alexander Parkes, in Birmingham, England in 1856.........
In 1893, French chemist Auguste Trillat discovered the means to insolubilize casein by immersion in formaldehyde, producing material marketed as galalith.[23]........
Bakelite, The first plastic based on a synthetic polymer was made from phenol and formaldehyde, with the first viable and cheap synthesis methods invented in 1907, by Leo Hendrik Baekeland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic
Sep 15, 2019, 07:01 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
I didn't write the words, I just thought it was interesting and decided to share.

So, how would address the problems?

Clyde
I am not convinced that there is a solution... Otherwise I would advocate for one.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:04 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
I am not convinced that there is a solution... Otherwise I would advocate for one.

So you admit, it's not the guns causing the problem, or access to them? It's a mental health issue, one that is hard to address legally because it violates our freedoms and rights. I'm not sure there is a solution either.

Clyde
Sep 15, 2019, 07:05 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
So you admit, it's not the guns causing the problem, or access to them? It's a mental health issue, one that is hard to address legally because it violates our freedoms and rights. I'm not sure there is a solution either.

Clyde
I not only admit that, I have said the same thing before.

The access issue is closely related to the mental health issue.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:06 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
An interesting article, can you verify the production numbers please, as far as I can find out, there were only 58,000 made in total, many of which were sold to police and military around the world.

Which is substantially less than the 400,000 made before ww2 number stated in the article.

Is the history lesson sadly lacking in real history?

https://www.texasranger.org/wp-conte...ster-Rifle.pdf

You guys are the experts, so please help me understand the discrepancy, which cuts to the heart of the OP.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:16 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
An interesting article, can you verify the production numbers please, as far as I can find out, there were only 58,000 made in total, many of which were sold to police and military around the world.

Which is substantially less than the 400,000 made before ww2 number stated in the article.

You guys are the experts, so please help me understand the discrepancy, which cuts to the heart of the OP.
58,000 seems to be the correct number.
https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/Winchester_Model_1907
Sep 15, 2019, 07:19 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
58,000 seems to be the correct number.
https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/Winchester_Model_1907
So the "History lesson" is a bit short on real history then, it is in fact a bunch of lies.

Glad we cleared that one up.

Sep 15, 2019, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie

Sep 15, 2019, 07:24 AM
Honourary Canadian and Frisian
Gun expert?

So Kenpo basically reposted a chain e-mail that was bogus and didn't realize it?
Sep 15, 2019, 07:31 AM
Honourary Canadian and Frisian
Start to finish, it only took a Britander 1h 25m to take apart a gun expert's claims.
Good job, Punkie.
Sep 15, 2019, 07:31 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
Start to finish, it only took a Britander 1h 25m to take apart a gun expert's claims.

Good job, Punkie.
Nice fact checking!

Quick Reply