Sep 14, 2019, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Turning

Hello all.

I've been practicing on RF8 for about six to seven months, coming off of coax and quads. I'm quite good a sport flying (full rates no expo). However, there is one aspect of flying that still gets me in trouble (crashing): pitch of the nose. When I fly with the nose straight, I can make coordinated turns quite well. However, during faster forward flight, with the nose pitched down, I've noticed that the heli is more prone to losing altitude while turning. Is it best to level the nose before a turn? I've noticed that most (real) helicopters don't fly with the nose pitched down, at least not that much.

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 01:31 AM
When heli tilts forward (nose down) in fast flight you need to also add throttle to compensate the lift generated by rotor. More tilt during flight, more throttle to keep the attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 15, 2019, 10:49 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
No simple answer, as pointed out above, whan you pitch the nose down to fly fast forward you have to add more collective. In a banked fast turn you have to balance the bank angle, elevator, rudder and collective to achieve the desired radius of turn and maintain height.. It's a balance of all control inputs.

Generally if you are loosing height then you probably need to reduce bank angle and/or increase collective.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:49 AM
Flying helis since 1978
Add throttle for fixed pitch helicopters, add collective for collective pitch helicopters.
Pull slight rear elevator at the same time as you do not want to speed up the helicopter.
(unless you want to increase forward speed.)

rotorist.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:30 PM

Turning

My bad. it should be more collective pitch (if the head speed is constant in IU1/IU2) to keep the attitude in forward flight.
(As it’s the same left stick to control that movement...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sep 15, 2019, 11:14 PM
Sep 20, 2019, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply