Sep 14, 2019, 05:08 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hello everybody! Just got my first plane, a DHC-2 A600

Hi everybody,

I just got my first plane, an RTF XK DHC-2 A600.
Honestly, if somebody would have told me a few years ago that one day I would have got myself an rc plane, I would have shaken my head in disbelief.
RC was never my thing.
But photography always was, so, after a month of flying (and crashing) a cheap Syma drone, in July I got myself a Parrot Anafi and started filming and photographing. I always loved aerial photographs, so being able to do it myself and so easily is a real dream, and I learned so much in the process.
But I found it frustrating that Parrot did not have any easily installable simulator to use with their remote controller, so to hone my skills on rainy days (in the UK we get quite a few of those..).

So I got myself a cheap USB remote control and tried downloading PhoenixRC, which I found very disappointing when it comes to drones simulation, I could not find any model with flight characteristics similar enough to either the Syma or the Anafi. Perhaps there is a way to set things like I would like, but for now I have not found it.

But guess what.. Out of curiosity I started flying the RC planes in the simulator.. And I really liked it..
After a month of that, I began researching actual RTF models, and also realized that, if I could even afford an RTF, it would never be like the wonderful Piper I was having so much fun with in PhoenixRC. So I made an effort to spend some simulated time with tamer park flyers, and also to re-learn controls from scratch (when I started I did not have a clue about Mode 2, so I set my throttle to accellerate when pushed backward rather than forward).

I would like to learn the basic aerobatics I practise on the simulator, so I decided that I needed alleirons and a brushed motor. But I did not want an exceedingly fast plane. Also, because I did not really know how hard it would be to fly in real life, and was hoping that my kid could give it a go too, I looked for models with switchable stabilizing systems. And lastly, I am very short on cash and not handy enough to make my own plane.
This pretty much narrowed it down to the A600, which I ordered from China along with 3 extra batteries to save me some cash and took 4 weeks to reach me.

It looks fine. I assembled the wings and taped one of the allerons' servos, which they missed to glue properly and arrived hanging out of its slot.
The servos all seems to work fine, and the stabilizer too (it compensate with the rudder when using the allerons).
My kid volunteered to be my spotter tomorrow, the forecast is 4-6mph wind and sunny, so with a bit of luck we should be able to maiden it
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply