Sep 14, 2019, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Question

Favorite 40-size seaplane?

This waterplane forum is my favorite! Something special about taking off and landing on water.

I have an OS .46 setup laying around that I would like to find a nice home for in a seaplane. I fly mostly off water. What’s your favorite 40-size glow model that you can recommend? Either flying boat or float plane. I’ve looked a bit at the SIG Sealane. Kind of an odd looking duck, but I could quickly get over that if it flies well. Any other ARF’s or kits you can recommend? Thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 01:55 PM
My go to favorite is the Seamaster, originally kitted by Ace RC, later sold as an ARF by Thundertiger, and then Maxford USA brought out a version of it called the Neptune, which isn’t as well made but still flies really well. If you can find any of those they’re ideal.
The Sig Sealane is still available AFAIK and is also really good in the air and on the water.
Last edited by Mark 2; Sep 14, 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Sep 14, 2019, 04:15 PM
I just want to go fly!
Here is my sealane coming down the home stretch I hear they fly well. Mine has a 46 size electric turbo prop. On 4s batts.
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 14, 2019 at 04:21 PM.
Sep 14, 2019, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 2
My go to favorite is the Seamaster, originally kitted by Ace RC, later sold as an ARF by Thundertiger, and then Maxford USA brought out a version of it called the Neptune.
Thanks the the tips, Mark 2! I found the Maxford USA Neptune ARF is still available online: http://www.maxfordusa.com/neptuneboatplanev2.aspx

I'm also finding the Ace Seamaster 40 plans and manual online: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10212 as discussed in this thread.

I'd love to find an old Seamaster kit or ARF around in the classifieds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
Here is my sealane coming down the home stretch I hear they fly well.
Very nice, walter3rd! I saw your posts and photos on another thread which got me excited again about doing the Sealane or similar. Please keep us posed on how she flies.
Sep 15, 2019, 01:38 PM
I just want to go fly!
Will do
Sep 15, 2019, 02:02 PM
I have an old Ace Seamster ARF that I fly occasionally. I doubt it would be economical to ship it to you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queezy
Thanks the the tips, Mark 2! I found the Maxford USA Neptune ARF is still available online: http://www.maxfordusa.com/neptuneboatplanev2.aspx

I'm also finding the Ace Seamaster 40 plans and manual online: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10212 as discussed in this thread.

I'd love to find an old Seamaster kit or ARF around in the classifieds.

Very nice, walter3rd! I saw your posts and photos on another thread which got me excited again about doing the Sealane or similar. Please keep us posed on how she flies.
Sep 20, 2019, 04:20 PM
I just want to go fly!
maiden success! pictures in balsa builders.
Last edited by walter3rd; Sep 21, 2019 at 06:45 AM.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:59 PM
mine was Goldberg Cub on floats. Had a couple. very durable I needed). flew and sounded beautiful with an OS 70 FS.
Sep 23, 2019, 08:25 AM
I too have a Seamaster, built back in the mid 80's when kits still available. I have the plans in .pdf format if wanting to scratch build.

In all my experience this is one of the best amphibs out there.

Another is the Northstar, still kitted and sold by Balsa USA nearly 40 years on! Built a half dozen or so, including an abortive composite with sheeted foam wings.

The third one in the pic is a Polaris foamie version of the Northstar. No longer available from Model Aero, but there is a Pac Rim version called the "Skipper" I believe made from the same moulds. Fun little electric that can fly from any surface.

Quick Reply