Sep 14, 2019, 11:43 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Discussion

Blocked by Cloudflare ?

I just clicked on an ad for Ercoupe plans, and a LARGE notation said I have been blocked.

It offered that it 'wasn't my fault' and I could email RCG and have it corrected... Is this a 'scam', or does Cloudflare actually block certain IP numbers ?
(I don't want to have to write an 'I been scammed' letter-you guys are BRUTAL!)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 01:47 PM
And You're Not
Yep, we switched ISPs at work and the new one was blocked by Cloudflare - had to do a capchca or whatever that "I'm not a robot" thing is" every time I wanted to get on the site or look at a picture.

You can request whitelisting of your IP through Project HoneyPot or something. I don't have the links handy here, but there was one link that would give you the IP address you are using and another to request that IP address be whitelisted. Took about an hour for the request to go through, no issues since.
Sep 14, 2019, 02:54 PM
The other day I got a message that rcgroups was down and that cloudflare was providing a cached version of the site. As much as this site goes up and down, that was pretty nice.
Sep 14, 2019, 04:41 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
Yep, we switched ISPs at work and the new one was blocked by Cloudflare - had to do a capchca or whatever that "I'm not a robot" thing is" every time I wanted to get on the site or look at a picture.

You can request whitelisting of your IP through Project HoneyPot or something. I don't have the links handy here, but there was one link that would give you the IP address you are using and another to request that IP address be whitelisted. Took about an hour for the request to go through, no issues since.
Yes- they offered an IP addy… I was afraid it might be a scam, since they want my IP addy as well... can't be too careful anymore... But they want me to email RCG with the complaint. I'll do that.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:10 AM
And You're Not
If anybody else has the issue, here's the link to find your IP address:

https://ipleak.net/

Here's where to go to request whitelisting:

https://www.projecthoneypot.org/white_list.php
Sep 16, 2019, 09:48 AM
RCG Admin
The site isn't going down. Cloudflare blocks are normally a browser issue. Internet Explorer is the big problem. It takes special characters in the URL and replaces them with weird characters that are normally used by attackers and so it gets blocked. Other browsers don't do that. Changing browsers away from IE is the best thing to do.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:56 AM
At work we recommend Edge, Chrome or Firefox and tell our users not to use IE for anything as it's not what we call a modern browser these days. I didn't know about those special characters though.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:36 PM
And You're Not
The issue with Cloudflare I had was using Chrome. It wasn't just this site, our new IP address was getting blocked on numerous sites. Whitelisting solved it.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
If anybody else has the issue, here's the link to find your IP address:

https://ipleak.net/

Here's where to go to request whitelisting:

https://www.projecthoneypot.org/white_list.php
I used ProjectHoneypot for a number of years and unless they now have an arrangement with CF, then their whitelist is only for the ProjectHoneypot script.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:24 AM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids
I used ProjectHoneypot for a number of years and unless they now have an arrangement with CF, then their whitelist is only for the ProjectHoneypot script.
It was the only whitelist I applied for, Cloudflare capchcas went away shortly after after several days of seeing them.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en...-site-visitor-

"Cloudflare uses a wide variety of data sources, including Project Honeypot, to challenge potentially problematic visitors by IP before they hit your site or your server. The challenge page is designed to provide a layer of security to your website, and the challenge page also thwarts a number of things like spam bots and other threats that may be trying to attack your site. The Cloudflare Web Application Firewall (WAF) will also generate a challenge page for other potential attack signatures.

As the IP data can have some false positives, because of things like dynamic IPs, Cloudflare is including some helpful tips below for dealing with Access Restricted pages as a site owner or visitor.

A site visitor to a website that Cloudflare is protecting can see a captcha for the following reasons:

1.The IP address you are on has shown problematic activity online recently in one of our data sources. If you would like to look your IP up, then please look your IP up at Project Honeypot. If the IP address shows data for malicious activity, you can see why there. You can also attempt to whitelist your IP directly on that page by connecting from that IP. If no bad activity is seen from the IP address after a two-week period, then the challenge behavior will stop against that IP address."
Sep 17, 2019, 11:56 AM
RCG Admin
Great info. I'm going to sticky this for a while in case it comes up for other users.
Sep 17, 2019, 01:34 PM
Interesting that CF is taking IPs from PHP. The problem with that is a legit IP that was spoofed by a spammer at a website managed by a private entity, could be added to block list.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:01 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
I have had problems with Cloudflare and Project Honeypot blocking IP addresses. In the case of Project Honeypot you need to have an account to do the block (or used to anyway); so if you have an account and manage/own a website you can submit an IP to Project Honeypot that is pestering your site. Problem is it may be a spoofed IP and in the end some ISP has one or more IP that are blocked due to a spammer or hacker.

I expect this happens a lot more than what people realize. I am not a real fan of Cloudflare sucking in black listed IP from other spam blockers.
Sep 18, 2019, 06:10 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Alrighty, then. I AM using Internet Explorer at my 'guru's' suggestion...
I'll go back to my favorite 'Google'..

In retrospect, that's when the problem began.... Good stuff here....Thanks, Guys.

Jeffery- I did the 'Whitelist' thingy just now.. Thanks for the link.

Jason- a Sticky is a good idea.
Last edited by epoxyearl; Sep 18, 2019 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply