Sep 14, 2019, 09:50 AM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Build Log

VMC Minimoa build

Perfect for flying here at the Dunes down the street from me. I've built a few Vintage Model Company kits and they are quite nice. My interactions with the company has been very pleasant as well. Very nice and responsive people. I'm not quite sure how it is that they can ship to the US so reasonably but they do. Under 10 dollars and only a week to get here. All this keeps me going back.

Kit includes tissue and hardware. Laser cutting and wood is excellent. Even the longerons are laser cut.

So far I have been getting the fuse together. All pretty straight forward.

Love the old 30's designs. This ship trained a lot of the Luft pilots in the day and is very reminiscent of the Habicht which I have a larger version of.

My glider builds range from kits to scratch. small like this to 4 meters or more. Love them all. And this is something I'm scratch building. A Jantar from scratch. I'll do another thread on that later.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 11:15 AM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Enjoying this build. It can be a bit more challenging than the usual sailplane build because it's sort of a stick and tissue conversion. I build a lot of free flight so it's a bit easier for me.

Still all the sub formers and bits takes some sorting out. Reading the instructions and studying the plans is highly recommended. The wingspan on this plane is 50 inches. Large compared to the size of the fuse. This will work well on the limited lift from my local sand dunes.

I managed to get the fuse pretty well buttoned up yesterday. I'm not sure I liked the idea of the two servos being burried alive inside the fuse. The supplied carbon fiber control rods have Z bends on one end and these are connected to the servo control arms. Not unless you lose a servo you should never have to get access to them.

The other end of the rods will have EZ connectors for adjustment.

The wing box is interesting this box is mounted to the fuse and the laser cut marks allow you to align the incidence angle correctly. Then these two tongues will later be built into the wing panel roots making the wings removable.

Once this box is in, there will never be a chance getting to those two servos.

The hatch worked out well that removes the cockpit top. This gets your access to the TX and Bat.

Thinking I'm all done I looked at the plans to realize I needed to sheet balsa between the the longerons. This has always been one of my least favorite tasks.
That's what i have to do next before I can start the tails. Wing is last.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:52 PM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Lots more progress today. Got the sheeting all done now I can sand down the fuse and ready it for covering. Started the horizontal and vertical stabs. These parts all lock together so you build the rudder off the building board in your hands. Really works well.

The horizontal stab build on the board over the plans. All parts lock together except the LE. The tail is a flying tail and the ribs have removable tabs to keep it level to the board.

Vintage Model Company kits build this way. I'm building a BF-109 of theirs and it all locks together so you end up with a very straight and true model. Very happy with their kits.

Here's some pictures.
Sep 17, 2019, 11:57 PM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Internet problems tonight it would appear. The rest of the pictures didn't load.
Sep 18, 2019, 11:32 PM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Stabs are all built and waiting for sanding so I moved on to the wing panels. Got the two inboard panels built and started the outer panels and ran out of steam. Will finish the wings tomorrow. This has been a fun build so far. It's a bit small for my tastes but will be perfect for dune flying.
Sep 20, 2019, 09:54 AM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
She's all framed up and ready to sand and cover. I will use the supplied tissue although I did think about Ultrakote but really don't like the shine and weight on a small model like this. Wings were pretty easy to build but you have to angle cut the spar slots to accommodate the ribs so they are parallel the LE and TE. They went up pretty quick as the slotting in all the parts make it pretty hard to screw up.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:50 AM
Everything's A Composite
If you cover it in white, I'm thinking the seaguls will take an immediate liking to this ship.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:40 AM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
They have before even when blue.
Sep 20, 2019, 11:59 PM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Nearly ready to cover. I'm just waiting on some balsa fill to dry and sand.
Sep 23, 2019, 01:51 PM
Everything's A Composite
Is this a live build log? Are you really building this quickly?
Sep 23, 2019, 02:01 PM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Current and yes.
Sep 24, 2019, 12:32 AM
Steve Neill
Thread OP
Got the covering on. Its pre-shrunk with water. Tomorrow I'll dope it.

Quick Reply