Sep 14, 2019, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
Question

Recc'd books?

Hi! I'm considering either kitting or building from scratch a RC sailboat. Any books this group would recommend? I've got my eye on two via my fav book distributor. I'd like some feedback or recommendations on books on this subject. I appreciate any and all input.

Thank you for your time.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 07:50 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi NP,

Before buying anything, I'd pay a visit to your local Woodlawn Sailing Club and see what they're sailing, this will give you an idea what to expect if there are scratch built boats to watch.
The books are a starting point, but there are a lot of build threads online and free plans available.
If you have questions which the club members can't answer, there's always the forum.

Regards, Jan.
Sep 14, 2019, 06:10 PM
x10 what pompebled says! Let me add a few thoughts though and some questions!

Have you ever sailed RC before?

Have you ever sailed full sized before?

Do you have a nearby venue to sail in and access to it with, or without, club permission?

What are your building skills?

So the Racing Sparrow book is awesome, with a catch. The boat in it is NOT class legal anywhere to sail. On the racing sparrow website there are some other free options you can download that "might" be class legal.

My first scratch built boat was a Racing Sparrow. Looks AMAZING, yet has still 3yrs later never been in the water... Why? well long story that I won't go into here but lets say it was a learning experience well worth the effort of the build. While I would HIGHLY recommend that book, it is geared solely towards building that boat.

But, I would NOT start there!

Figure out what your local club sails first. You can frequently get a used and well sorted boat from their "Boatyard" to start off with. You really want a complete boat for your first. You need to get out on the water and get a solid feel for it all first.

But I don't play too well with others and my local club kinda... Nevermind. They are good guys, but I bought a bad boat from them and didn't like what they sail anyways. I am also lucky to live where I do and have an AMAZING pond literals across the street and 3 houses down.

I bought a DF65. It is "sorta" still a "kit" and requires assembly. But the hull and everything go together in minutes, then comes the rigging. It took me 8-10hrs to rig it the first time.

Rigging is not easy and that is where you will get tripped up building your own, even if from reasonably well documented plans. And most are not well documented there. The DF65 is everything you need in one package, and rigging it and setting the baseline adjustments up is SUPER WELL documented.

If I had not gotten my ARF (almost ready to float lol) DF65, I would have lost interest in sailing and building. Now I am a serial builder with a pile of mostly completed boats and a couple finished ones. While I much prefer building them, you need that comprehension that sailing one, especially one like a DF65, will give you.

There is an online version of the Racing Sparrow book available. I think it was $12? But the Hardback book does have a little bit more info in a couple spots, and it comes with a paper template/plan. I don't know exactly what that plan shows since I had long before printed mine out from the online version... My paper plan is still in the book.

Also I recommend Amazon for books. I get used ones off there all the time for $5-30. I have a collection of maybe two dozen or more books on building and sailing these guys. Pretty sure I have a copy of the other one... Okay looked and nope. But be careful. While nothing much has changed in the RC sailing world in 20yrs, radios have. Rules have, and so have classes. Any book more than 2yrs old is going to fall short in all these areas. The Radio Controlled Sailing Yachts book I have is almost useless. Most of the rest of my collection are MUCH older books with vintage building information in them. I find these VERY useful as the craftsmanship in the old boats is what got me on this path to begin with.

Honestly there is SO MUCH free online information out there, like the AMYA website, USVMYG.org, and plenty of others, that the only decent excuse for buying physical books, is to collect them and start a library up. It is a SLIPPERY slope too as there are some cool old books out there! I do focus better with a physical book in my hands, but the good ones are all well outdated and don't have much on the hard part of building these, rigging them. While they will have good old info for vane sailers, any book new enough to cover RC rigging is probably already outdated.

Your best book for this, is the instruction manual for a boat almost ready to go, like the DF65. Just sayin...
Sep 14, 2019, 06:23 PM
BTW MANY clubs are now sailing the Joysway boats, either the DF65 or the DF95. My local club has sailed Soilings for many many years. They swore they would never switch. Last year they started sailing the DF95 boats. Unfortunately I spent like $500 on a Soiling that I sailed once before it fell apart. By the time I was done, I hated that boat so much I just sorta gave it back to the club and ate the loss on it....

I hate that boat enough if I got it back, I would waste a set of radio gear and a battery pack on it just so sail it out into the middle of the pond and detonate it into a pretty ball of fire... I mean that has to be good for like 25 views on youtube right?
Sep 15, 2019, 02:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
Hi NP,

Before buying anything, I'd pay a visit to your local Woodlawn Sailing Club and see what they're sailing, this will give you an idea what to expect if there are scratch built boats to watch.
The books are a starting point, but there are a lot of build threads online and free plans available.
If you have questions which the club members can't answer, there's always the forum.

Regards, Jan.
One of the reasons I came to this forum was to help source local sailing clubs. I could get access to reservoir ponds or lakes where I live. Not much else to get to since I'm land locked. Kinda getting into this since I cant really chase my desire to get into sailing, while trailor sailors are affordable I live too far to and lack the infrastructure to make a weekend out to be economical. This is to gain more information on the hobby and lurking this forum and reading up on youtube has been a big help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
x10 what pompebled says! Let me add a few thoughts though and some questions!

Have you ever sailed RC before?

Do you have a nearby venue to sail in and access to it with, or without, club permission?

So the Racing Sparrow book is awesome, with a catch. The boat in it is NOT class legal anywhere to sail. On the racing sparrow website there are some other free options you can download that "might" be class legal.

My first scratch built boat was a Racing Sparrow. Looks AMAZING, yet has still 3yrs later never been in the water... Why? well long story that I won't go into here but lets say it was a learning experience well worth the effort of the build. While I would HIGHLY recommend that book, it is geared solely towards building that boat.

But, I would NOT start there!

Figure out what your local club sails first. You can frequently get a used and well sorted boat from their "Boatyard" to start off with. You really want a complete boat for your first. You need to get out on the water and get a solid feel for it all first.

But I don't play too well with others and my local club kinda... Nevermind. They are good guys, but I bought a bad boat from them and didn't like what they sail anyways. I am also lucky to live where I do and have an AMAZING pond literals across the street and 3 houses down.

I bought a DF65. It is "sorta" still a "kit" and requires assembly. But the hull and everything go together in minutes, then comes the rigging. It took me 8-10hrs to rig it the first time.

Rigging is not easy and that is where you will get tripped up building your own, even if from reasonably well documented plans. And most are not well documented there. The DF65 is everything you need in one package, and rigging it and setting the baseline adjustments up is SUPER WELL documented.

If I had not gotten my ARF (almost ready to float lol) DF65, I would have lost interest in sailing and building. Now I am a serial builder with a pile of mostly completed boats and a couple finished ones. While I much prefer building them, you need that comprehension that sailing one, especially one like a DF65, will give you.

There is an online version of the Racing Sparrow book available. I think it was $12? But the Hardback book does have a little bit more info in a couple spots, and it comes with a paper template/plan. I don't know exactly what that plan shows since I had long before printed mine out from the online version... My paper plan is still in the book.

Also I recommend Amazon for books. I get used ones off there all the time for $5-30. I have a collection of maybe two dozen or more books on building and sailing these guys. Pretty sure I have a copy of the other one... Okay looked and nope. But be careful. While nothing much has changed in the RC sailing world in 20yrs, radios have. Rules have, and so have classes. Any book more than 2yrs old is going to fall short in all these areas. The Radio Controlled Sailing Yachts book I have is almost useless. Most of the rest of my collection are MUCH older books with vintage building information in them. I find these VERY useful as the craftsmanship in the old boats is what got me on this path to begin with.

Honestly there is SO MUCH free online information out there, like the AMYA website, USVMYG.org, and plenty of others, that the only decent excuse for buying physical books, is to collect them and start a library up. It is a SLIPPERY slope too as there are some cool old books out there! I do focus better with a physical book in my hands, but the good ones are all well outdated and don't have much on the hard part of building these, rigging them. While they will have good old info for vane sailers, any book new enough to cover RC rigging is probably already outdated.

Your best book for this, is the instruction manual for a boat almost ready to go, like the DF65. Just sayin...
Ha! Star wars reference! <3 As per your questions;

Have you ever sailed RC before? Yes, a very long time ago. It was a meter long tallship, but the idea is pretty catchy.

Nope, hopes and dreams territory. Was considering a Dinghy (Hartley 12 or maybe a portabote with sailing rig.) for a long time due to portability and the fact I could easily get it into my local lakes. I've done sims (like Sailaway) and from my teen years grasp how to sail based on that and a few ocean canal outings with a neighbor, but was never on my own or on my own vessel. (I have also long since moved away.) My dream boat was a Hurley 22. But its kinda hard to get a 2 ton 22ft long boat over 430+ miles of distance when you only own a Toyota Yaris. Paying a service and building a slip would be a workable thing, but I'd be on some one else's timetable and I wouldn't be guaranteed that I could enjoy my outings on it.

I could get to a few ponds and lakes in my area, but I've not looked for sailing clubs yet. Wanted to "get my feet wet" and learn things before I run into people who do this.

I'd claim myself a novice as I've only built a few models, Done some robotics (BASIC STAMP and Python coding) with easily assembled items. I have a lot of experience with soldering and de-soldering with synthesizer repair, I don't feel comfortable working with SMDs. Have a full blown solder/desolder station for working with electronics as well as common replacement components. I've built a few balsa wood airplanes too but I don't think that really counts as they were just gliders traced and cut using an X-acto knife and skinned with wax paper and glue. I feel with either hubris or a willingness to learn that I can make mistakes (And I also look forward to making them. How better can I learn than with wisdom of "defeat"?) . I have a great mechanical understanding and have professionally repaired machines and doors.

From what I hear about setting up rigging, it gets me excited to know there will be a challenge there to set that up.

The two classes of water craft I was most interested in building for were RG65 (Might swing to Dragon force's RG65 kit and a FRSKY Q7X controller and transmitter. The transmitter can be used for other RC hobbies, which is its appeal to me.) and M class due to its generous size to build with, Larger models tend to be more forgiving when you make mistakes and correct them. This is all very new to me and I look forward to learning every step of the way.

Those two books are sitting in my shopping cart because they were my first two hits for "RC Sailboat" plugged into abebooks, a company owned by amazon that has a large network of used bookstores that sell used books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
BTW MANY clubs are now sailing the Joysway boats, either the DF65 or the DF95. My local club has sailed Soilings for many many years. They swore they would never switch. Last year they started sailing the DF95 boats. Unfortunately I spent like $500 on a Soiling that I sailed once before it fell apart. By the time I was done, I hated that boat so much I just sorta gave it back to the club and ate the loss on it....

I hate that boat enough if I got it back, I would waste a set of radio gear and a battery pack on it just so sail it out into the middle of the pond and detonate it into a pretty ball of fire... I mean that has to be good for like 25 views on youtube right?
Well, even if the hobby never catches with me, I like to think I could display this in my home as a nice little talking piece. Maybe put it on a wall when its not in use.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:02 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I have the first book. It’s outdated , in terms of contemporary radio gear and materials but has some good points and also great for inspiration I like having a library of things that interest me, even if outdated. I find it helps me immerse myself in the subject. I still find myself pulling out Colgate’s basic sailing or Somesuch just for a bit of inspiration.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:34 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Look for Stephen Vick's other threads, and go out when he sails his big boats, it may change your mind on what to build.

Another self built boats are the two schooners Gary Webb has designed. Bigger than some boats, there are a few threads here, the Bearospace schooner Irene thread and the Bearospace Sloop EMMA thread.

BP
Sep 15, 2019, 05:53 PM
Modeler/ Historian
OMG! I didn’t see your location. San Angelo TX! Yes we have a local club “Concho River Yacht Club” We are an AMYA sanctioned club, and we loosely affiliate with Angelo RC We sail Sunday afternoons on the Concho by the river stage (little mermaid spot). We sail DF 95 , Canterbury J, Newport 12 Meter and Schooners. Basically sail what ya brung. PM me I’ll fill you in
Sep 15, 2019, 05:55 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Last Sunday’s Sailing. We also do scale electric and live steam.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:11 PM
Hello NoisyPegasus,

Its great to see your interest in R/C sailing. Please come join us on the Concho river and we will be glad to let you try RC sailing. Welcome.

Carl Malone
San Angelo Texas
Sep 16, 2019, 12:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
I have the first book. It’s outdated , in terms of contemporary radio gear and materials but has some good points and also great for inspiration I like having a library of things that interest me, even if outdated. I find it helps me immerse myself in the subject. I still find myself pulling out Colgate’s basic sailing or Somesuch just for a bit of inspiration.
Well, I did want to gather information. I think I'll pull the trigger and buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp
Look for Stephen Vick's other threads, and go out when he sails his big boats, it may change your mind on what to build.

Another self built boats are the two schooners Gary Webb has designed. Bigger than some boats, there are a few threads here, the Bearospace schooner Irene thread and the Bearospace Sloop EMMA thread.

BP
"Sailtails" Gary? His vids have been a huge help in my learning and honing my interest in wanting to build one of these things from scratch. Definately will read more threads. Hay! Stephen Vicks from San Angelo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
OMG! I didn’t see your location. San Angelo TX! Yes we have a local club “Concho River Yacht Club” We are an AMYA sanctioned club, and we loosely affiliate with Angelo RC We sail Sunday afternoons on the Concho by the river stage (little mermaid spot). We sail DF 95 , Canterbury J, Newport 12 Meter and Schooners. Basically sail what ya brung. PM me I’ll fill you in
Will do! I've been scouring Google for local RC clubs and the only thing I found were the RC airfield out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlMalone
Hello NoisyPegasus,

Its great to see your interest in R/C sailing. Please come join us on the Concho river and we will be glad to let you try RC sailing. Welcome.

Carl Malone
San Angelo Texas
Nice. Glad to meet you!
Sep 16, 2019, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisypegasus
Ha! Star wars reference! <3
I got back into RC playing with racing drones, so it seemed pretty fitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisypegasus
Well, even if the hobby never catches with me, I like to think I could display this in my home as a nice little talking piece. Maybe put it on a wall when its not in use.
Yep! My DF65 lives next to the big screen about 10' away from me right now. Most of my other boats have been on display too at some point. My Affinity frequently sits next to the DF65. My REALLY big boats (when I have one) go into the back room.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:40 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
The AMYA has a page for all the registered clubs
https://www.theamya.org/clubs/
Sep 23, 2019, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
Books should arrive this week and next.
Sep 23, 2019, 10:24 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Let us know if you want any advice or assistance. I'll keep a spare boat handy if you want to have a go...

Quick Reply