Sep 13, 2019, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking to build something like timber/tundra

Hello friends,

I am wanting something like the eflite timber or durafly tundra but I really enjoy scratchbuilding so that's what I'd like to do.

I've seen lots of high wing trainer style plans but I'd like something with the same amazing aerobatic capabilities those planes have. I'm sure I could come up with something myself but measurements or even a plan would be better. I can hotwire cut wings if needed and I'll probably get the exact power system and landing gear as the tundra.

I'd love some suggestions!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 09:17 PM
I have a Flite Test Storch built from plans as well as a eFlite Timber. They're both equally fun to fly.

You might consider building the Storch from plans and you could hot wire the wing if you wanted to. The FT Storch isn't quite as scale as you might like, but there are "skins" available so you can make a VERY complicated paint scheme with little effort.

If you have access to a small 3D printer you can dress up the Storch with a scale cowling, landing gear fairings, scale cockpit windows, and so on. Even the smallest printer will do.

Or, you could simply use the FT Storch plans as a starting point for your own design. If you keep the wing area and tail area the same as well as a few other critical dimensions and moments the same you can make an airplane which looks totally different, but still flies well.
Sep 13, 2019, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozella
I have a Flite Test Storch built from plans as well as a eFlite Timber. They're both equally fun to fly.

You might consider building the Storch from plans and you could hot wire the wing if you wanted to. The FT Storch isn't quite as scale as you might like, but there are "skins" available so you can make a VERY complicated paint scheme with little effort.

If you have access to a small 3D printer you can dress up the Storch with a scale cowling, landing gear fairings, scale cockpit windows, and so on. Even the smallest printer will do.

Or, you could simply use the FT Storch plans as a starting point for your own design. If you keep the wing area and tail area the same as well as a few other critical dimensions and moments the same you can make an airplane which looks totally different, but still flies well.
The full scale storch is one of my favorite planes! Is the ft one capable of the same sort of aerobatics as the timber? Granted my hot wire cut wing would be a different airfoil than theirs.
Last edited by Lepidopteran Ape; Sep 16, 2019 at 11:08 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 12:08 AM
flyin' fool
How about a Hyper Piper? Modify this super simple Cub to the span you want, add a flat airfoiled wing with no dihedral, ailerons and tundra tires.

Keep it super light with big control surfaces and lengthen the tail moment a bit .

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-FKm-variation
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 25, 2019 at 10:43 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:08 PM
treefinder
My 42" span Blubaby will do everything my friends' Timbers can do, except flap maneuvers. But then I can bring my BB in slower than they can anyway. The large wing and tail area of Tony 65x55's design makes wing loading low, and that is the key, keep it light!
My most recent build (4th at 42" span ) has a kfm5a undercamber wing with ailerons. She flys inverted, inside/outside loops, snap rolls. I fly her with wheels, skis or floats depending on time of year.
Last edited by springer; Sep 21, 2019 at 07:14 PM.
Sep 27, 2019, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
My 42" span Blubaby will do everything my friends' Timbers can do, except flap maneuvers. But then I can bring my BB in slower than they can anyway. The large wing and tail area of Tony 65x55's design makes wing loading low, and that is the key, keep it light!
My most recent build (4th at 42" span ) has a kfm5a undercamber wing with ailerons. She flys inverted, inside/outside loops, snap rolls. I fly her with wheels, skis or floats depending on time of year.
Now that would be a great option! I built the original version of the blubaby many years ago and liked it. I know I'd like it even more with full aerobatic ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
How about a Hyper Piper? Modify this super simple Cub to the span you want, add a flat airfoiled wing with no dihedral, ailerons and tundra tires.

Keep it super light with big control surfaces and lengthen the tail moment a bit ………………….

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-FKm-variation
I hadn't thought of a profile style model for this build but that's definitely an option if I decide to go light instead of beefy on this one. Aerobatic cubs are always welcomed.
Oct 02, 2019, 01:47 PM
flyin' fool
Light is might!!
Oct 07, 2019, 04:22 PM
Flite Test Bushwacker.

In all practicality, exactly the same as the Timber X, just smaller control surfaces.

Great flying plane.
Oct 07, 2019, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
Flite Test Bushwacker.

In all practicality, exactly the same as the Timber X, just smaller control surfaces.

Great flying plane.
While I definitely prefer the looks of their storch, the bushwhacker definitely fits my needs.

Quick Reply