This thread is privately moderated by stevecondon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 13, 2019, 06:55 PM
Trader Rating: 18
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Thread OP
$425.00 USD
Buyer pays shipping
Sold

ORIGINAL Dave Thornburg Bird of Time - one of the first dozen!

I have had this airplane since I built it with my dad as a teenager in 1979 - it was one of the original 12 kits Thornburg made with beautifully hand-selected wood.

This airplane was originally built to according to his plans with only rudder and elevator but in about 1989 when I started flying contests again I added flaps to it to improve launching and landing performance. I had intended to remove them at some point in the last decade and return it to its 2-channel roots, but something else was always a higher priority.

Nowadays I am lucky to have a quiver of high performance models that are a joy to fly, and with limited time to build/fly Iíve decided to ďbless this and let it go.Ē Specifically to a BOT and woody aficionado so she might see more time in the air instead of gathering dust in my shop!!

The fuselage has a K&B SuperPoxy paint job with a clear coat over the stripes which was color-sanded smooth. There are some blemishes and a repair that tells a good story of my experimentation with a carbon wing rod in the early 80ís.

One major bonus I am including with this is the full size plans (which were cut into a couple long narrow pieces for building) and the instruction booklet Dave wrote - he is a hilarious writer and has some sage soaring advice woven into it that is still just as relevant 40 years later!

I can ship it but LPU is always preferred if possible. If you are interested, please reply on the thread if you PM. Call or text me 760-822-2345
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 07:04 PM
Trader Rating: 10
Old Master, New Grasshopper
WOW absolutely superb !
Latest blog entry: Pics
Sep 13, 2019, 07:39 PM
Trader Rating: 62
Wow Steve, I am drooling!
Sep 13, 2019, 08:04 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfitz
Wow Steve, I am drooling!
Hey Dan-O!! Hope you are well my friend. I admit, when I put her together for photos and cleaned the dust off I was like, "daaaang!!" She still shines real nice. Hope to find a BOT fan.
Sep 13, 2019, 08:10 PM
Trader Rating: 144
I PMed you on the Aquila and this one!
Sep 13, 2019, 08:23 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Thread OP
Sale pending!
Sep 13, 2019, 11:49 PM
Trader Rating: 86
Geppetto
Steve,

What a time capsule, just beautiful! And may I say that you maintain a beautiful shop space as well?

All the best!

Geppetto
Sep 14, 2019, 04:43 AM
Trader Rating: 43
build, launch, rekit...
Cool as all get out. Beautiful color scheme!

GLWTS.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:02 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGeppetto
Steve,

What a time capsule, just beautiful! And may I say that you maintain a beautiful shop space as well?

All the best!

Geppetto
Thank you, Geppetto!!

Quick Reply