This thread is privately moderated by Andrey_Rakhmanov, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 13, 2019, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Easy way to make RC airplane cockpit canopy.

For my pilotage 2-engine Arlequin I manufacturer square cockpit canopy. The canopy protects model electronics compartment from dust and moisture.
Name: Ready.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 1.28 MB
Description:
It is quite easy to do, I briefly describe describe the process by several photographs.

First we need to prepare pressing form. I cut parts of the form from 4 mm polystyrene sheet.
Name: Parts1.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 181.0 KB
Description: Name: Poinson1.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 156.7 KB
Description:
Inside the press I placed PVC sheet.
Name: Billet.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 155.9 KB
Description:
After with the help of self-tapping screws I joined all parts of the press together.
Name: Set.jpg
Size: 212.0 KB
Description:
Now press should be placed in hot boiling water and PVC should be slowly squeezed by press with the help of the screw driver.
Name: Cooking1.jpg
Size: 242.7 KB
Description:
After we have to place press into cold water, cool it and extract the canopy from it.
Name: After.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 132.6 KB
Description:
All excesive material should be cut by scissors and holes can be manufactored with the help of hot wire.
Name: Extracted.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 222.3 KB
Description:
All done, now we have nice seamless light cockpit canopy!
Name: Weight.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 313.6 KB
Description:

More about the manufacturing process in my article written in Russian:
http://rc-aviation.ru/mtech/avia/2150-kolpak
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply