Sep 13, 2019, 05:40 AM
Thread OP
Help!

What to build

Hi all, been building and flying ic 30 years and one or two electrics. Thought I would get Bixler3for th e Winter to help the aged cold fingers. Found my OAP budget was not enough to get one, so plan B, I,ll build some thing similar from Depron. Built loads from balsa and ply, so I got to learn new skills. Any suggestions as to what model around 48 inch wing span Would suit. Thanks ps Dave Reaps, Vulcan comes to mind.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 08:17 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
The Polaris or one of its similar deltas.

Hand launch or fly off grass or water, can handle a wind, fly docile or crazy, flat wing, box fuselage, and prop up out of the way.

Sep 14, 2019, 05:01 AM
flyin' fool
Lots to consider here ………………………...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...o-600-plans-**

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hbuilt-Foamies
Sep 14, 2019, 07:23 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus1
I,ll build some thing similar from Depron. Built loads from balsa and ply, so I got to learn new skills.
Doesn't take alot of new skills to make foamies, just a different mindset on how it's done. Much more simpler, quicker, and easier to do than balsa. I don't have the patience ( or cash flow) for balsa builds, so foam is the choice for me. Just make sure the glues are foam compatible is one of the main things to consider, alot of the glues used in balsa builds melt foam. Many here use hot glue guns, gorilla glue, and foam safe CA....there's more, but it's early and I can't think of them right now.
As to the foam, you have many choices. Depron is getting harder to find, so you have dollartree foam...cheap but can be used paper off or on, MPF (model plane foam)....equivalent to depron, not quite as stiff but more durable than depron. epp and epo....flimsy but much more durable and can take stronger glues.
Good luck finding what you want to build, gold guy's post is the place to go to, many, many good build there from the simplest flat style foamie to balsa quality style builds.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:49 AM
Cactus, with your experience building and flying I think you can build any plane that you like and could be more easy for you just use the search tool to get the plane that you like to build , check the plans and instructions and start to build!!!
There are lot of good designs and designers on the 600 plane threats involve scaled or fictional.
Add to Timbo glue list UHU POOR. It works great , is light, clean and easy to find

Quick Reply