Sep 13, 2019, 05:31 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Discussion

Great Planes Super Chipmunk - Need more power!

I picked up a used Great Planes Super Chipmunk (81" wingspan) with a Saito 100 twin in it. I'm guessing they picked the engine because it fits under the cowl, which is very nice. However, it makes barely enough power to fly this bird.

I've heard a DLE20 is a good fit, but I'm thinking about getting a RCGF26 BM in order to get a little more power. Has anyone run the Chipmunk with an RCGF26? Any other suggestions?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 07:02 AM
Build a scale plane already!!!
I'd go 30 to 35cc gas
Sep 13, 2019, 07:40 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
I'd go 30 to 35cc gas
I'm asking because I'm fairly new to choosing engines for IC planes, but why do you think it needs a 30CC? Isn't a DLE20 more power than the recommended engines for the airplane?
Sep 13, 2019, 05:39 PM
I have to agree with Scale on this one. The DLE 20 and RCGF 26 are roughly the same power as a good 1.2 two stroke glow engine. For a gas engine I would be looking at a DLE 35RA.
Sep 14, 2019, 05:45 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
I have to agree with Scale on this one. The DLE 20 and RCGF 26 are roughly the same power as a good 1.2 two stroke glow engine. For a gas engine I would be looking at a DLE 35RA.
Would this be "unlimited vertical" power?
Sep 14, 2019, 09:08 AM
I don't know what this plane weighs or what it's wing area is, so I'm shy about predicting it's performance with either size engine.

A 20 will have unlimited vertical under 10lbs or so. A 30-35 will go 12-13lbs pretty easily.

The RCGF 26cc beam mount will swing an 18x6 with authority, so in some planes it thinks it's a 30. A light weight 30.

One thing to keep in mind is the engines weight. The extra 8oz of the bigger engines will have an effect on the plane's CG for sure. If you have to add tail weight to offset that 8oz up in the nose of the plane, you can be adding a significant amount of weight to the plane. At that point, if you do need tail weight to offset a heavier engine, I would move the rudder servo to the back in an attempt to keep the plane as light as possible.
Sep 14, 2019, 10:01 AM
The GP Chippy has 1,000 sq in of wing and weighs 13-14lbs according to the GP web site. By comparison, a modern pattern airplane has close to the same wing area for a mono wing ( my biplane design has 1,300 ) but weighs 11-11.5lbs. The electric power systems are equal or slightly more then 35cc gas. I would have to say that a DLE 35 on the Chippy would give very spirited performance. An RCGF 26 would give Scale like performance. The thing I would consider a plus for the 35RA is the compact muffler location.
Sep 14, 2019, 06:34 PM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
I don't know what this plane weighs or what it's wing area is, so I'm shy about predicting it's performance with either size engine.

A 20 will have unlimited vertical under 10lbs or so. A 30-35 will go 12-13lbs pretty easily.

The RCGF 26cc beam mount will swing an 18x6 with authority, so in some planes it thinks it's a 30. A light weight 30.

One thing to keep in mind is the engines weight. The extra 8oz of the bigger engines will have an effect on the plane's CG for sure. If you have to add tail weight to offset that 8oz up in the nose of the plane, you can be adding a significant amount of weight to the plane. At that point, if you do need tail weight to offset a heavier engine, I would move the rudder servo to the back in an attempt to keep the plane as light as possible.
The current engine weighs about 900 grams and there's a ton of weight in the nose. I think it can hold a few more oz without needing tailweight.

I will consider these things. I don't need unlimited vertical, and I don't want to tear the wings off, but I do want it to do good aerobatics.
Sep 15, 2019, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuppster
Would this be "unlimited vertical" power?
No, but it will be plenty for a scale like performance aerobatics without needing to go full throttle all the time,,

If you want UV and you want to 3D it, you'll have to bump up to a 50cc class

good luck
Sep 15, 2019, 05:14 AM
Quote:
The current engine weighs about 900 grams and there's a ton of weight in the nose. I think it can hold a few more oz without needing tailweight.

I will consider these things. I don't need unlimited vertical, and I don't want to tear the wings off, but I do want it to do good aerobatics.
If that's the case,, most likely with the heavier engine you can just move the battery(s) around to balance without any extra weight

good luck
Sep 17, 2019, 09:40 PM
Lipoly Killer

35 cc

+1 on the 35 cc!
Sep 21, 2019, 01:18 AM
Go fly a jet today
With the 35 it will have unlimited vertical, my 14.5 lbs Escapade has UV with the 35.
Sep 24, 2019, 08:48 AM
Quote:

I put a DLE 35RA on a GP super chipmunk. I used an APC 18x10 prop. Didn't need any additional weight...and it flew very well with plenty of power...I'm not sure how well a dle20 will fly it. I have a 60 size Chippy with a dle20 on it , 16x10..and it's over powered . Best flying plane I've got.
Sep 24, 2019, 09:49 AM
Need more speed!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erospawn
I put a DLE 35RA on a GP super chipmunk. I used an APC 18x10 prop. Didn't need any additional weight...and it flew very well with plenty of power...I'm not sure how well a dle20 will fly it. I have a 60 size Chippy with a dle20 on it , 16x10..and it's over powered . Best flying plane I've got.
Awesome! Can I see a picture of how you mounted it and what the cowl looks like?
Sep 24, 2019, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Awesome! Can I see a picture of how you mounted it and what the cowl looks like?
There ya go.

Quick Reply